Logging chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huskybill

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
In the past with my Chevy k10 4x4 I snapped tow chain. I can’t remember what grade chain it was.
With the pickup I would load it and drag the next load to the road side. I’m very Leary of tow chain.
I picked up 1/2” heavy duty chain for my one ton k30 in the past. I just purchased 1/2” chain with a loop on one end with a hook, 20’ long. Now I need to make some chokers what size? What grade? And what length? I have some big ash trees to drop soon. Looks like I’ll bury a 42” bar at the base. I have a few bigger trees to play with. Any thoughts?

I’m thinking to use a choker with my Jeep cj tractor to roll them over.

Attachments

• A1D15CC6-24CC-4BB1-A4D6-9E6844334263.jpeg
    A1D15CC6-24CC-4BB1-A4D6-9E6844334263.jpeg
    638 KB · Views: 46
Don’t use chains for logging rigging. You have no surge gear in it and chains don’t like to be jerked. They’ll either deform a link and then it will come apart the next time it’s shock loaded or may just come apart under the first shock loading. There’s a reason everybody and their mother in this industry uses cable.

Chains make okay slings for lifting heavy stuff under constant load, but that’s about all I use them for.

I seen what a 3/8” chain can do when it snaps. We had a Mack ten wheel roll off full of 2 x 10’s go out to pull a Mack trailer truck stuck in the mud with a complete pre fab house on it. Lack of communication between both drivers were pulling in opposite directions. When the 3/8” chain snapped it put a link pattern up and over the hood, top of the cab and broke the rear window it sounded like a machine gun as it went. Luckily no one got hurt.

Half inch chain is not size matched to the picture attachment. I don't see a logging winch. Heavy What grade is heavy duty, if it is grade 70 or more generally it is called out.

I’m trying to stay with grade 80 and 100 chain. The 3/8” chain shortener I just picked up is grade 80/ 88,000lbs. I’m teaching the boys about the strength of chains.

When I was ten years old I used soft bolts on my bike. When they sheared I got 52 stitches in my head not knowing about the grades of bolts.

I been thinking about a pto or electric winch. The electric winch is good for 17,000lbs. The Jeep is my toy for small stuff. I have swamp buggy tires and rims for it. If I need to turn the big ash tree over to cut the half the bar won’t reach. I’m thinking a choker with the Jeep could turn it.

Don’t use chains for logging rigging. You have no surge gear in it and chains don’t like to be jerked. They’ll either deform a link and then it will come apart the next time it’s shock loaded or may just come apart under the first shock loading. There’s a reason everybody and their mother in this industry uses cable.

Chains make okay slings for lifting heavy stuff under constant load, but that’s about all I use them for.

So using wire cable is better elasticity when jerked?

I think that’s what happened with my 1/2 ton truck a chain link bound and bent, the next time it snapped. I need to be more careful. I used 1/2” chain after that. Dragging 1/2” chain around isn’t fun.

Do I use a cable winch with chain chokers?

Bailey's has choker chains.
They also have cable/wire rope chokers

there is an everlasting argument as to which is better, guys that log with chains wear overalls and have long fulfilling relationships with folks that have the same last name as them.

IF you're going to insist on using chain, get quality grade 70 or better chains, lifted and pulled all sorts of stupid stuff with a grade 70 5/16 chain even dumber stuff with a grade 80 3/8, however shock loading chains is bad m-kay, oh and if you do insist on using chain, may I also suggest the "durex" line of bar lube and prophylactics

Also, my rigging chains for lifting heavy sh!t are fairly soft steel, for the primary reason of not breaking apart like a hardened steel. Ya know, in case, say, some bumble**** (points finger at self) manages to send the hoe into free fall over the idlers by sticking out too far with, let’s say, 43,000 lbs (cough, big headwall, cough) attached, and manages to stick back in but it still shock loads the snot out of the chains. Tow chains come apart when they’re loaded like that.

Rigging and lifting chains are designed for rigging and lifting, but like I said above, they’re still chains and chains are NFG for applications where they’re shock loaded. Even rigging chains aren’t meant for it, despite their painfully high price. Cable does a way better job for anything of that sort. It’s also a lot easier to move around in the brush.

I’m trying to stay with grade 80 and 100 chain. The 3/8” chain shortener I just picked up is grade 80/ 88,000lbs. I’m teaching the boys about the strength of chains.

If you live in an area that has logging, you should be able to get chokers at local rigging supply shops.

Chain is easier to work with and easier to store so there's that.

Grade 80 3/8" chain has a WLL of about 7,000lbs. That means around 35,000lbs breaking strength.
I can't see a light Jeep/buggy being able to easily break 3/8" or 1/2" chain.

I’m taking in all this advice and knowledge.
the Rear part of the frame is triple wall 3/8” and cross boxed. It should handle a 17 k winch no problem. I think the winch takes 7/16” or 1/2” and 85’ of cable.

If you live in an area that has logging, you should be able to get chokers at local rigging supply shops.

Chain is easier to work with and easier to store so there's that.

Grade 80 3/8" chain has a WLL of about 7,000lbs. That means around 35,000lbs breaking strength.
I can't see a light Jeep/buggy being able to easily break 3/8" or 1/2" chain.

I’m sure the Jeep won’t snap 3/8” or 1/2” chain.

In the past with my Chevy k10 4x4 I snapped tow chain. I can’t remember what grade chain it was.
With the pickup I would load it and drag the next load to the road side. I’m very Leary of tow chain.
I picked up 1/2” heavy duty chain for my one ton k30 in the past. I just purchased 1/2” chain with a loop on one end with a hook, 20’ long. Now I need to make some chokers what size? What grade? And what length? I have some big ash trees to drop soon. Looks like I’ll bury a 42” bar at the base. I have a few bigger trees to play with. Any thoughts?

Pretty cool Jeep/Tractor

It’s not done yet. I have Mack truck hooks for the bumpers with weld on 1 1/4” D rings plus 1” shackles. Those ears need to be drilled for the shackles. I have wheel adapters to mount farmall cub tires on it. I have four 13.6 turf tires. The engine runs great.

That thing is bad ass!

I just made up 3/8" g100 chain chokers. Mainly for rolling big diameter trunks when there on the ground so I can pick them up. I'm thinking the jeep tractor can pull them over. The chain will bite in with the choker.

Back