Logging chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How long do cable cholera last?
well, Cholera if its not fatal lasts a few weeks...

Chokers, I'm still running a set of 9/16 chokers I had made 6-7? years ago, the ferules are starting to get cut off, but still serviceable

somewhere in my piles of rigging there are the 1/2 cat eye chokers I had made 12-13 years ago, granted they don't get used much anymore, but they are still in pretty good shape.

Had a bunch of ferule ended 1/2"ers but the skidder ate them pretty quick, 22000# winch attached to 16000# rated chokers... attached too a 26000# spruce log... well yeah

I have no idea how long cable cholera can last. That’s probably a good question for somebody that has M.D after their name.

I still have some 5/8” cable chokers I bought in 2004, so pretty damn long. They’ve choked a lot more than logs, too despite Cat chokers really only being meant for logging... The twin eye variants for heavy rigging are another story altogether.

Also, good luck with those little chains dragging stuff through the woods.

I'm having problems with my kindle.

I ordered a 12,000 lb winch today. I plan on roping it 2=1 ratio on the cable when I use it for lifting. It's power in and power out, besides free wheel out.

If you live in an area that has logging, you should be able to get chokers at local rigging supply shops.

Chain is easier to work with and easier to store so there's that.

Grade 80 3/8" chain has a WLL of about 7,000lbs. That means around 35,000lbs breaking strength.
I can't see a light Jeep/buggy being able to easily break 3/8" or 1/2" chain.

Per my sources, WLL to breaking strength on new chains is typically 1/4 in all grades, except Grade 43 (hi-test) which is 1/3. Kind of scary that the industry uses a lower safety margin on a chain many non-pro users would think is stronger.

Ron

I purchased all grade 80 & 100 chains with forged hooks. Like I said before my k10 Chevy loaded pulling the next load to the street side broke cheap tow chain. That’s when I went to stronger grade chain years ago. I was pulling out loads with 1/2” grade 100 chain soon after.

I canceled my 12,000 lb winch order figuring it’s going to sit once my tree cutting is done. I have a new 3,000 lb winch I purchased over a decade ago. I ordered the pullies and hook to rope it 4:1. It should work.

A cable choker I had made at the local wire rope and rigging place. I want to have a couple shorter ones made to piggyback on this one, so I can pull three logs out at the same time. With the smaller stuff.
View attachment 861532
Just gonna use shackles and cat eye chokers? Little late to put some proper sliders on there. It will work, but the shackles will tear up the cable faster.

I have a 40' choker on the log truck, use it for hobo yarding, its got 2 extra loops crimped in so I can rehook with the loader and pull logs to the truck... keeps the morons from tearing up my wrappers most of the time. FYI its a lot cheaper to rent an excavator for a day, then to pay me to yard your logs to the truck.

Latest posts

Back