logging in the artic circle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mozgov55

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
wondering if anyone has any experience with either the stihl or Husqvarna cold weather heated saws or any advice for working inside the artic circle

There's trees in the arctic circle?

Some Stihl models also have a cover for the starter cover that reduces cooling air flow...

Never used one, but I've heard good things
Yeah, no logging in the arctic circle.
He is a long ways from the arctic circle in Anchorage AK. Nevertheless.

wondering if anyone has any experience with either the stihl or Husqvarna cold weather heated saws or any advice for working inside the artic circle
I used an 088 for cutting ice below the circle, there's not much to know, pull the cord & start cutting, use bio chain oil

Yeah, no logging in the arctic circle.
He is a long ways from the arctic circle in Anchorage AK. Nevertheless.
true I am based out of Chugiak and don't know of much logging up there but they do trail clearing, campsite maintenance all through out Alaska going to be just north of gates of the artic national park I don't know what I need to worry about saw wise

Which saw activities will make up your job? Then we will go from there.
removing wind fall and leaners clearing tails and cutting rounds to be split for firewood down the road as well as removing branches over the trails the could present a hazzard

I used an 088 for cutting ice below the circle, there's not much to know, pull the cord & start cutting, use bio chain oil
alright I was told there are specific saws designed for cold weather because normal ones don't preform as well in the cold

Lots to learn about cutting in the winters.
If your new to it then heated carb (saw) is the way to go. I don't usually use heated handlebars if it's really cold and snow is on the trees as it turns your gloves into ice blocks really fast.
If it's random little bits of cutting and then moving then you will not benefit from the heated handles. Certainly nice if you are blocking though.
There is lots and lots to it.
Especially when the wheather fluctuates.
I run Husqvarna. I know guys that like Stihl but use the Husqvarnas for winter work.
Always carry iso alcohol
for frozen throttle cables I use it down the carb to eat moisture or ice too. Sometimes a little in the fuel.
Try stay away from methylhydrate
It breaks down the oil.

I will add some more stuff in time.

There's trees in the arctic circle?

Some Stihl models also have a cover for the starter cover that reduces cooling air flow...

Never used one, but I've heard good things

Husqvarna includes those with some models as well. My 543XP came with one.
IIRC, it was the 550XP came with one, and the 372XP may have included one as well. None of them were “G” models either

I don’t Expect to ever need the Recoil Cover Blocks, or Heated Grips

Doug :cheers:

Most saws if they don't have heated carbs will have some kind of bypass in the top cover or air filter cover that allows a small bleed of hot air to enter the carb area to prevent icing. Usually its a small plate that is either flipped or a hole knocked out.
Snow covers are usually just for powder snow to stop it being sucked into the cooling slots on the recoil and blocking airflow when you put the saw down.

I've not had any trouble with the cold.

The heated handle saws are nice if you plan to do lots of work in the cold, it's tough to run a saw with thick gloves.

Latest posts

Back