Logging trucks and equipment pics.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some of the ground we are cutting with a no lever it's steep enough the forwarder slides down the hill, cutting we walk up the faces instead of going from the top down.
rrnuz9.jpg

16c53yb.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Impressive working steep stuff with a flat bottom.

Depending on soil I max out at about 35-38 degrees for climbing. The buncher can maybe crack 40. I can downhill a bit steeper with the processor but any more than that and have the guys hand fall the steep stuff.

Impressive working steep stuff with a flat bottom.

Depending on soil I max out at about 35-38 degrees for climbing. The buncher can maybe crack 40. I can downhill a bit steeper with the processor but any more than that and have the guys hand fall the steep stuff.
Soft soil really good tree growing ground, we'll push over parts like that around 75 degrees one of the reasons we use a fixed head as a brake as needed. Ground like that we yard with a cat as much as possible the forwarder you either slide or the grade pushes through the transmission.

75% you mean?
This job no degrees think of an angle finder the slope is steep enough it turned on the low engine oil light in a 1210b. We shovel log 50% ground, this is steep enough the crane on the 1210 will come all the way back and lock out.

Wow. That's pretty hairy. Careful you don't cook a rear main on the engine at angles like that
Got almost 13k on the perkins not an issue so far had the pan and caps off for the bearings look good we keep a strict 100 hour service interval on oil, 50 on fuel filters, gear oil every 200 and hydraulic as well so far we haven't lost an engine.

I imagine you won't with a service schedule that comprehensive. Your making me feel like a slacker. We run 5-600 hour oil changes including air and fuel filters. Hydraulic oil every 1800. Going to start changing final drive oils at 200 now to see if we can get more life out of them.

I imagine you won't with a service schedule that comprehensive. Your making me feel like a slacker. We run 5-600 hour oil changes including air and fuel filters. Hydraulic oil every 1800. Going to start changing final drive oils at 200 now to see if we can get more life out of them.
It should help we had issues with brakes at 750 we noticed so we dropped to 200 and the life has come up a good amount. One way I look at it oil is cheap compared to me rebuilding stuff especially an engine, one filter I will say we forgot about and cost us a pump is the in tank suction screens so now they will get changed every two years.

Soft soil really good tree growing ground, we'll push over parts like that around 75 degrees one of the reasons we use a fixed head as a brake as needed. Ground like that we yard with a cat as much as possible the forwarder you either slide or the grade pushes through the transmission.

Wow.... anything over 50 we get a yarder in......

Wow.... anything over 50 we get a yarder in......
We push it as much as possible as well as this is 25 year old thinnings we're in, it wouldn't be cost effective to bring in a yarder and normally we can drop the forwarder off a road from the top.

f01e36f1c27fcc4304eae6d9f05526ca.jpg
f88a71ecacbe63db1c81c79062a290d2.jpg

A buddy's steep ground forwarder with the extension to do 36 and 40 footers thinning.

That tilting crane would be nice in that steep stuff. Necessary more like.

How come the wood is processed so long? Does the mill feel it can merchandise that much better than cutting 20's or 16's?

That tilting crane would be nice in that steep stuff. Necessary more like.

How come the wood is processed so long? Does the mill feel it can merchandise that much better than cutting 20's or 16's?
It's mainly how we cut out here unless it's a young stand, I'll get you a few pictures of the stand I'm thinning right now parts would be well ahead to long log well other parts you struggle to 18's. Plus the prices are better on long wood they hit us good on short wood here the mills don't want it because there's not the extra over run.

Must just be another one of those regional differences I can't fathom. The mills don't market forty foot product do they?

How big timber can the Ponsse machines handle there? I know what they can do diameter wise but your wood is so tall must be difficult to move once down. Tallest wood I have been in was around 100 ft aspen. 20-30 inch stumps. That wasnt too bad but could get difficult if it went downhill

Must just be another one of those regional differences I can't fathom. The mills don't market forty foot product do they?
Nope other then specialty stuff, but I can say guys out here have broke the scorpion booms with our timber it's tall and long.

Nope other then specialty stuff, but I can say guys out here have broke the scorpion booms with our timber it's tall and long.

Hope it doesn't happen with mine. Do you know where they broke, or have any pictures? I'd be super interested in seeing where to keep an eye on mine. My main center frame snapped in two almost two years ago but so far no boom trouble.

My sales guy said they Bear which is Ponsse's big harvester is at its outer limit in that wood. Scorpions should stick in the thinning it seems.

Back