Logging with 2 Wheel Drive Tractor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Given my experience, the terrain, I think my logging with the tractor will be a start but with a focus on keeping that thing upright and winching from good safe locations. Thanks for all the input guys!

Maybe a few pulley rigs to help winch out of real crappy terrain. Much safer and easier. I just personally don't like tractors in the woods unless absolutely necessary. Had a few scary experiences and that was enough for me.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

I think what gets a lot of the tractor-skidding guys is not being able to turn loose of the load quickly.
If you're working side hill, the logs can swing down the hill sideways and pull you along with them. The back of the tractor gets pulled around and over you go.
If you're skidding straight up the hill the logs can hang up and pull you over backwards.
Being able to get rid of the load or slack off on your cable instantly is key. I think if I was going to use a farm tractor I'd invest in a logging winch. Tieing hard and fast is a bad idea.

I think skidding winches dramatically increase both how safely you can log with a tractor and how effectively you can log with a tractor. After owning one for a couple of years I'd hate to have to skid logs without it. They're absolutely worth the money.

I started using a beat to Hel ford 9n, 6, 3 day weekends to skid one load of hemlock on relatively flat ground.

this was in 2008-9? timber prices where in the toilet so 6 weekends of back breaking work and we got about 3/4 of a full load, and split $800 3 ways.

Nearly got myself killed on several occasions. I clearly remember looking straight up over the hood at a pair ravens that seemed to be laughing at me.

Broke the tractor twice, the last time pretty much being the end of the hydraulics on it.

It can be done, and a more modern tractor is going to have a better time of it, but go into it eyes open.

A few years later, after building a yarder and a bunch of other ill advised (read ego) attempts I bought a proper skidder. On the same ground (I've cut wood in there 3-4 times now, and clear cut the neighbor, as well as a bunch of dirt work) In roughly 6 weekends we got something like 14 loads, I paid off the skidder and got myself insured and what not, all while still splitting things 3 ways, Timber prices where a little better but still not much better then starvation. They are 3-4 times what they where then.

ford 9n OMG, old memories

You ran a 9N here in WA! And you are still alive to tell about it? Can believe the 'nearly.. killed' part.

I used a 9N in FLAT central IL in the late 1950's for what passed for 'logging' back there. No ROPS or FOPS on it. Nearly flipped it backwards twice myself trying to just pull a brush pile. Anything over a 2% grade in central IL is called a big hill.

Out here in Cascade foothills, once (when still young and indestructible) rolled an old D2 on it's side and also slid a tracked JD 440 on its side part way down a hill, thankfull for the cages!. NO WAY would I get on a 9N in the hills, or in any woods without the FOPs. Heck, in 1958, did not even know what FOPs was!

My cousin has a full section of farmland near Beardstown. There is a small corner near a stream with a patch of trees, they call it the TIMBER !

I started using a beat to Hel ford 9n, 6, 3 day weekends to skid one load of hemlock on relatively flat ground.

this was in 2008-9? timber prices where in the toilet so 6 weekends of back breaking work and we got about 3/4 of a full load, and split $800 3 ways.

Nearly got myself killed on several occasions. I clearly remember looking straight up over the hood at a pair ravens that seemed to be laughing at me.

Broke the tractor twice, the last time pretty much being the end of the hydraulics on it.

It can be done, and a more modern tractor is going to have a better time of it, but go into it eyes open.

A few years later, after building a yarder and a bunch of other ill advised (read ego) attempts I bought a proper skidder. On the same ground (I've cut wood in there 3-4 times now, and clear cut the neighbor, as well as a bunch of dirt work) In roughly 6 weekends we got something like 14 loads, I paid off the skidder and got myself insured and what not, all while still splitting things 3 ways, Timber prices where a little better but still not much better then starvation. They are 3-4 times what they where then.

In a nutshell, you just explained the Multiplier- Weight.

A Power Shift 440B weighs 14,200lbs
A Syncro- Power 440B weighs 12,250lbs

A 9n Ford weighs around 2,400lbs.
Idk what attachments you were using, but I'm sure it wasn't much.

My M7060HD w/ 1154 loader weighs right close to 6,500 lbs.

I plan to add 800lbs with a FARMI winch.

With another 800lbs including my loader Grapple, that's still only 8,100lbs.

Thank You for the Perspective.

One thing I've had happen to me when skidding with a tractor is that when the log slid down sideways the butt end rode up the back of the tire and said, "hello!". I believe that running a capstan off the hydraulics to position the logs on a more level route would be better since you can really control how much pull you have with just your hands, it's just a matter of letting go of the rope.

One thing I've had happen to me when skidding with a tractor is that when the log slid down sideways the butt end rode up the back of the tire and said, "hello!". I believe that running a capstan off the hydraulics to position the logs on a more level route would be better since you can really control how much pull you have with just your hands, it's just a matter of letting go of the rope.

A three point winch operates the same way. A rope that the operator pulls engages a friction plate type clutch to turn the drum. You have very fine control over the amount of pull, and can instantly drop the load if need be.

I'm Looking at the FARMI brand & wondering if they have any real competition in the 11,00lb + pulling class....
Specifically the 51 & 61 models.
Which do y'all run?

I'm Looking at the FARMI brand & wondering if they have any real competition in the 11,00lb + pulling class....
Specifically the 51 & 61 models.
Which do y'all run?

I haven't personally looked at any of them other than the Farmi 351 that I own, but there's several worth checking out. Wallenstein, Uniforest, Tajifun, and Norse would all be on my list. I don't know if they all have on in that size, but I bet most of them do. Sawyer Rob's Wallenstein looks like it's holding up pretty well on a similar size tractor to your Kubota.

When I bought my 351, it was the only one I'd seen on Craigslist that was priced reasonably and that hadn't used hard for 40 years. I snatched it up naturally, but I was worried that it would be undersized for my tractor. I use it on my Kubota MX4700 (38 PTO HP, about 5500# with the loader and beet juice). Even with only 7700# of line pull, that winch will manhandle that Kubota if you're not paying attention. I mention that so you have a data point when you're deciding between the 501/601 size winches. A smaller winch gives you more three point capacity for lifting logs, but less line pull. If you can't take advantage of the extra pull anyway though, a smaller winch is better.

Edited to add: congrats on taking the plunge, by the way! You'll wonder how on earth you got along without that winch.

I haven't personally looked at any of them other than the Farmi 351 that I own, but there's several worth checking out. Wallenstein, Uniforest, Tajifun, and Norse would all be on my list. I don't know if they all have on in that size, but I bet most of them do. Sawyer Rob's Wallenstein looks like it's holding up pretty well on a similar size tractor to your Kubota.

When I bought my 351, it was the only one I'd seen on Craigslist that was priced reasonably and that hadn't used hard for 40 years. I snatched it up naturally, but I was worried that it would be undersized for my tractor. I use it on my Kubota MX4700 (38 PTO HP, about 5500# with the loader and beet juice). Even with only 7700# of line pull, that winch will manhandle that Kubota if you're not paying attention. I mention that so you have a data point when you're deciding between the 501/601 size winches. A smaller winch gives you more three point capacity for lifting logs, but less line pull. If you can't take advantage of the extra pull anyway though, a smaller winch is better.

Edited to add: congrats on taking the plunge, by the way! You'll wonder how on earth you got along without that winch.

Thank You.

I skimmed by the Wallenstein; I've got a small chipper of their's, & it's meh. It's also weighs less than the others.

That's probably why I haven't seriously considered the Canadian brand...

Thank You.

I skimmed by the Wallenstein; I've got a small chipper of their's, & it's meh. It's also weighs less than the others.

That's probably why I haven't seriously considered the Canadian brand...

Yeah, Farmi has made a name for themselves in skidding winches, and for good reason. They're also right at the top of the pack for price, but after a few times using it, you'll realize that they're worth way more than what they cost anyway, so it's probably a wash. They certainly hold their value very well too.

You gonna get the remote control option Heath?

Yeah, Farmi has made a name for themselves in skidding winches, and for good reason. They're also right at the top of the pack for price, but after a few times using it, you'll realize that they're worth way more than what they cost anyway, so it's probably a wash. They certainly hold their value very well too.

You gonna get the remote control option Heath?

I asked about it originally, but was advised against it because of
1. It's a $3,500 upgrade
2. Folks have been known to turn their tractors over using them because they weren't paying attention to their tractor's conditions during a pull.

A skidding winch IS a good investment...

My Wallenstein has been very good to me, allowing me to pull some quite big sticks up out of ravines that would have been very hard to get out, without it,

standard.jpg

To me, adding a skidding winch is a huge step in making "skidding with a tractor" much safer.

SR

A skidding winch IS a good investment...

My Wallenstein has been very good to me, allowing me to pull some quite big sticks up out of ravines that would have been very hard to get out, without it,

standard.jpg

To me, adding a skidding winch is a huge step in making "skidding with a tractor" much safer.

SR

Which model & what tractor?

I asked about it originally, but was advised against it because of
1. It's a $3,500 upgrade
2. Folks have been known to turn their tractors over using them because they weren't paying attention to their tractor's conditions during a pull.

They do seem handy for some situations, but no way would I pay $3500 for it! And yeah, tipping the tractor seems more likely if you're back by the log. I read here or on FF a few years ago that when winching, you should keep your eyes on the tractor, not the log. Check that the cable is still coming in, and that the tractor isn't moving. If those things are good, then the log doesn't need to be worried about.

Back