Lombard chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MS460WOODCHUCK

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
What is your opinions and experiences with them mainly the AL42, AP42, Commango and Super Commango. How do they fair compared to theire competitors at the time? Were there problems with them or were they dead reliable? Was the power up to par with other saws of the same size? Did lombard go belly up or did they sell out or what? I like the old american saws and am waiting for my first lombard to arrive...:msp_wink:

OK, who's Carl?:confused:

Me.

68cc of reed valve snort. Seem to spin higher than their contemporarys. At their best with a 18" or 20" bar.

Only real problem (besides parts availability) is the auto oiler check valve which contains a 'Poulan like' duckbill. Most have turned to goo and they will suck bar oil into the crankcase. The fix is easy but not obvious.

I have two................................................................Want one?:hmm3grin2orange:

attachment.php

attachment.php

B.T.W. I have a friend who has one bought new in mid-late 70's. Used it to heat his shop and house up untill a year ago. Replace it with a MS290. I went thru it and fixed the oiler check and he keeps it for backup and old times sake. Won't part with it.

Big fellow, drop starts it like it is a Homie XL2.

B.T.W. I have a friend who has one bought new in mid-late 70's. Used it to heat his shop and house up untill a year ago. Replace it with a MS290. I went thru it and fixed the oiler check and he keeps it for backup and old times sake. Won't part with it.

Big fellow, drop starts it like it is a Homie XL2.

LOL that's how my old man has started the 306 since I can remember and he is not a big guy. Are you serious about me wanting one? Because I do...

I happen to like the ole Lombards. I sold many back
in the late 70's and early 80's. Most were the orange
and black versions. Had good power and would out
perform there Homelite competitors the XL12 and
Super XL. Like Carl stated they had that oiler problem.
But when i was repairing them the parts were plentyful.
They made a few different paint scemes.
I just bought one off the bay which has the antivibe.
A model not to common. They also made a 83cc model
which is not to common as well.

Lee

I happen to like the ole Lombards. I sold many back
in the late 70's and early 80's. Most were the orange
and black versions. Had good power and would out
perform there Homelite competitors the XL12 and
Super XL. Like Carl stated they had that oiler problem.
But when i was repairing them the parts were plentyful.
They made a few different paint scemes.
I just bought one off the bay which has the antivibe.
A model not to common. They also made a 83cc model
which is not to common as well.

Lee

What was the model called that was 83cc Lee?

There are quite a few Lombards around and more than a few people collect them. They are probably the most common of the "odd ball" brands that pop up at the flea markets. Not positive but I think Cambell Hausfeld ended up with the saw brand and then it went away.

Most likely the state of tune but, of the 65-70 cc saws I have the Lombard runs/cuts the best. 10 cc larger than a Poulan 306A and Remington SL/PL-4. With just a touch more weight.

Others in that size I have are Remington SL-11A, Pioneer P-41 and Skilsaw 1645/P.M. 340.

That saw was made through several ownership changes -- I seem to recall American Lincoln and Desa as well as Campbell-Hausfeld. The basic saw design stayed pretty much the same except for the AV and chain oiling. I still flip one now and then. I have been paying around $40 at pawnshops for sound runners. They are easy to work on. I wonder if the design was copied from the XL-12.

That saw was made through several ownership changes -- I seem to recall American Lincoln and Desa as well as Campbell-Hausfeld. The basic saw design stayed pretty much the same except for the AV and chain oiling. I still flip one now and then. I have been paying around $40 at pawnshops for sound runners. They are easy to work on. I wonder if the design was copied from the XL-12.

The next time you get one to flip send me a PM and I will take it off your hands.

What was the model called that was 83cc Lee?

the lightening IV and V, plus the GLP500-500A were 5.1 c.i., i still have not come across one of these as of yet, i did sell a very nice av model 4.2, and a c/h labeled model this last year.............:msp_wink:

the lightening IV and V, plus the GLP500-500A were 5.1 c.i., i still have not come across one of these as of yet, i did sell a very nice av model 4.2, and a c/h labeled model this last year.............:msp_wink:

If you come across another to sell let me know...

If you come across another to sell let me know...

we were a dealer back in 1982!!!, sorry, but i can't go back in time...............:D.................if i see any more i'll contact you, BTW, i have what's left of the n.o.s. parts from that time, not much left, the parts were for the ap42, and the ap22/24 model saws

Last edited:
The Lombard oiler check valve fix.

How to replace the Lombard check that has gone to goo.

attachment.php

Run a #10-24tpi tap into the brass sleeve in the outlet untill it stars to turn. Then using the tap or a machine screw pull the sleeve out of the 90 deg. elbow. Clean it all up and use a Poulan (prefered) or Homie duckbill to replace the original. Press the sleeve back in. I helps the scrunch the brass sleeve in your vice to make it a tight fit.

The Lombard valve makes a wonderfull replacement for one on a Remington SL/PL-4 and, with modifications, on the larger Remys.

Last one I fixed was on my Remy PL-7A. Thanks Wagnerworks!:rock:

Back