Long Bars

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Stihl and 150 Homie look a little out of place with that big artillery. Just saying.. I think that's a 150
Yep, that's a 150 and a Super EZ in the pic. I bought the 150 at an auction for the recoil, paid 5 bucks for it. Got it home and it was so clean under the hood, new fuel lines, clean carb, I put a shot of mix in the carb and it fired right up. Filled the tank and it ran great. The Super EZ was a farm auction find, 2 bucks for it. It was the dirtiest saw I've ever seen. Honey suckle wrapped around the clutch, The recoil was so packed with crud it couldn't rewind. After 4 cans of break cleaner, it started up and ran fine.

Yep, that's a 150 and a Super EZ in the pic. I bought the 150 at an auction for the recoil, paid 5 bucks for it. Got it home and it was so clean under the hood, new fuel lines, clean carb, I put a shot of mix in the carb and it fired right up. Filled the tank and it ran great. The Super EZ was a farm auction find, 2 bucks for it. It was the dirtiest saw I've ever seen. Honey suckle wrapped around the clutch, The recoil was so packed with crud it couldn't rewind. After 4 cans of break cleaner, it started up and ran fine.
I had at one time thought a barn find was a clique. Till I rescued an old MAC from the furthest reaches of a big red storage barn.. Had more mouse, rat, and bat $hit on it that I guessed at the time that it might be a MAC. Scraping it down was like opening a Xmas present.
I think this is a 32" on my 1050. Picked this power head up at the pawn shop for $10. Didn't have a filter cover.
IMG_20171018_091123.jpg

The C52 is 77 CC's and the C72 is 80 CC's. I bought the 45" bar for one of the Super 1050's but was too lazy to pull the 36 off, and I didn't have a chain for it yet. So, I put it on the C72 for a photo op. The 1050 pulls the 36 and 24 through Oak with no felt difference, so I wanted a bigger bar to see if it would pull it down. Problem is, it's hard to find Oak over 40" around here.The 45 will max out my 36" mill so I might get a few more crotch pieces through it.

Come on out! I have a 60" one on the ground and will have to work it up with a MS441cm/32" bar . Not looking forward to doing that.

Nope, He is a HELLLL of a lot closer to Spokane, Washington.

Anywhere in Maryland is well over Half an hour, even in an SR 71;)

But I'm sure that he would still welcome you:D

Doug :cheers:

Welcome? Looking at that beast of a tree I am almost willing to pay his airfare!!

Per the Roger, the farmer, the trees, three of them. were planted with slips from back east, probably by the original settlers. He and his hired man showed up with a big tractor with bucket and a big farm truck this morning. Hired man loaded while I cut and Roger made a trip to buy a new bar for my top handy Husky. I ruined the nose sprocket enclosure yesterday gettting it out of a bind.

Another long day cutting/stacking brush/ bucking tomorrow should have that tree down to the base log. My guess is a minimum of 3 cords.

Sorry, no picss. I still haven't found any way to post the pics. Pics did download to somewhere in the 'puter but I can't find them.

I live in the Midwest. I am not a timber feller by any stretch of the imagination. I realize this question is very dependent on where you call home and where you get your firewood.
I like the idea of a 36” bar on a big cc saw as much as any other red blooded man but my question is how much are most of you guys that only cut wood for heat using a long bar. It’s seems to me that I can cut the majority of firewood with a 20” bar or less. I had a 28” bar for stumps but it just didn’t get used much. I’m talking home heat guys, not production firewood or logging here.
I'm really a homeowner/firewood hoarder type of person however, having a 90+cc saw with a 36" bar comes in very handy. I usually find someone local that had a large tree taken down and they are stuck with the larger branches and trunk and want to give it away for firewood. That's when the 36" bar comes in very handy to make quick work of bucking it up. I also find one or two jobs a year where someone needs 1-6 large trees taken down or want to hire someone to drop a lot of trees over a few weekends but they dont have the saw or experience to pull it off. It's a win win because I can usually put a couple hundred in my pocket per year just from those jobs. Makes it quite easy to justify a 6-700 saw setup when you can earn some money with it.

Just yesterday I found a guy on facebook market place looking to have a couple larger trees taken down. I packed two saws, my 298xp with 36" bar and my 285CD with a 28", some wedges, axe, and PPE. I told the guy my minimum price for just one tree is $75. The tree was a dead standing hickory bigger than 24" DBH and slightly over 3' at the butt. I had the tree down in 10 minutes and fell exactly where I wanted and out of the guys yard (he expected it to fall in his yard based on lean and branch weight). He was happy it down safe and no mess to clean up. He ended up giving me $80 and I was only there at his property for a total of a half hour. He showed me 6 more trees he wanted down and he would be in touch.
8943.jpeg

So yeah, only really reason I have a 98cc saw with a 36" bar is because it's like a man card requirement thing, and I do actually come across jobs where it is quite handy. I could have done it with the 85cc saw and 28" bar but bigger is always better right? Most of my normal firewood cutting and tree felling is with my ported 59cc Jonsered 2159 with a 24" bar.

Marshy,
Brother from another mother . I do the same thing. My 99cc saw is a 298xp though, that I got for free with a 28" bar. My 461 gets the most work though

Marshy,
Brother from another mother . I do the same thing. My 99cc saw is a 298xp though, that I got for free with a 28" bar. My 461 gets the most work though
The 298xp run great dont they? Love mine. Didn't get it for free but probably $4-450 shipped if memory serves me right.

I HATE big bars. Give me a 24" and 90cc's.

My 3120XP Balances really Nicely with a 36" Bar, when bucking logs 28" and up it is Nice to be able to cut from one side, but the 44" Bar is rather nose heavy, and the 60" Bar is VERY Nose Heavy.

I bought the 44", and Especially the 60" bars for Milling, I can't imagine what it would be like if you actually NEEDED the 60" bar for felling, that would be a Good Day to Call in SICK :baba::baba:;):).

For many years a 266XP with a 24" Bar and a Little 23 Compact Top Handle were my 2 saw plan, I added a 460 Rancher w/24" B&C to keep in the pick up.

A 372XP will be a future CAD addition with either a 24" or 28", but that will be after a 395XP, that I plan to put a 404 sprocket on, so I can use the bars that fit the 3120XP on it.

I had No Idea just how much I NEEDED a Good 50cc saw until I found a Nice 353, that I have 13", 16" and 18" bars for, but I hear Good Things about the 550XP, so I just "Might" have to eventually get one of those too, "just to see if they REALLY ARE that good;):)"

It is Nice to have the right tool for the job, no matter what the job is:D:D:D

Doug :cheers:

I live in the Midwest. I am not a timber feller by any stretch of the imagination. I realize this question is very dependent on where you call home and where you get your firewood.
I like the idea of a 36” bar on a big cc saw as much as any other red blooded man but my question is how much are most of you guys that only cut wood for heat using a long bar. It’s seems to me that I can cut the majority of firewood with a 20” bar or less. I had a 28” bar for stumps but it just didn’t get used much. I’m talking home heat guys, not production firewood or logging here.
I do the same as most firewood cutters, run a couple saws.
I have two Stihl saws. A MS291 (56cc saw) with an 18" bar for most work and also a Stihl 044 (71cc saw) with a 18" bar and a longer 28" bar for bigger stuff.

I keep a 24" bar on my ported 555 and a 14" bar on my baby 136. For just limbing or stuff 6" and under, the 136 is very light to use and cuts plenty fast with a sharp chain. Only had to cut from two sides a handful of times this year with the 24" bar so I can't really justify anything larger (as much as every guy wants ).

This was one of the few that I would've liked a bigger bar on, 28-30" oak.

Sometimes I wish I didn't have 30 or so saws. By the time I figure out which one I want to use, the day is over, and I have to reschedule for tomorrow. Today i took the 660 with 36" and the 290 with 20", and that beat the snot out of me. If my wife had not of left the JD on the court where I park my truck and trailer, I'd still be stuck in the truck. I can't wait til I get this knee replaced. It's got me so bow legged I walk crooked and that hurts my back, which hurts my hip. When I got out of the truck I couldn't put any weight on my right leg. That's another reason I like a long bar, I can use it like a crutch.

I think that's y I stopped buying saws I didnt want to have to decide which saw I was going to use. I have 2 stihls for cutting fire wood and a couple poulans to play with and cut junk. Then the husky 450 if I need it or if someone is helping me. I'm not opposed to buying more saws if the deal is good but I'm not trying to buy something.

BAE256DD-B194-4B07-B612-6847AFF23368.jpeg

This is a 36” on my 394. I have very little need for it but it sure came in handy when a buddy of mine wanted to take this one down in his yard.

Back