Long Island: What kind of tree is this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soupsmp

Reaction score
We have this beautiful tree at the front of our property - I have no idea what kind of tree it is. It's about 35-40'. It's just in an awful location - the prior owner could have put it just about anywhere else on our property, but they choose right next to the road at one of the ends of our driveway.

I would hate to take it down, but it's causing some issues with the road way and our driveway - does anyone know if a nursery would be willing to purchase the tree? I'd rather do that than take it down.

tree.jpg

Wonder what kind of tree that is?
I don't see a trunk that matches the height?

I do see volcano mulch that needs fixing, though. ;)

The trunk is behind the white sign - it's about 16"-18" in diameter.

I let a couple of college kids do the mulch - I didn't ask them to do that.....

I was thinking a weeping Beech at first glance. It would be VERY difficult and costly to move a tree of that size and it couldn't go far. If it is a Beech, probably worth something to somebody, but making that connection between you and them is tough.

We have this beautiful tree at the front of our property - I have no idea what kind of tree it is. It's about 35-40'. It's just in an awful location - the prior owner could have put it just about anywhere else on our property, but they choose right next to the road at one of the ends of our driveway.

I would hate to take it down, but it's causing some issues with the road way and our driveway - does anyone know if a nursery would be willing to purchase the tree? I'd rather do that than take it down.

View attachment 846423

By the way, I'd try to keep it and be very careful who you let prune it. It is a nice specimen. Look at is as an asset, because it is. An arborist that knows what they are doing can raise it up out of the roadway and driveway without it losing it weeping form.

I appreciate all of the replies. I am going to check in with a couple of the larger, more reputable nurseries here on Long Island to see if they would have any interest in the tree. If not, I will find a qualified arborist locally to see if it can be pruned. Thanks, again!

View attachment 846423

Interesting Tree, don't recall seeing that species up this way. Our beech spawns beech nuts, and makes great firewood

I appreciate all of the replies. I am going to check in with a couple of the larger, more reputable nurseries here on Long Island to see if they would have any interest in the tree. If not, I will find a qualified arborist locally to see if it can be pruned. Thanks, again!
If you find someone to trim, or move it, I'd love to see photos of that!

View attachment 846423
Too bad you let someone that knows nothing about trees mess with it.
Also take those mulch rings out of those other trees, they won't do any good like that and may harm the trunks actually.
I'd remove it or just live with it.
Looks like an invasive species and not native so removing will be helping.
Probably not what you wanted to hear, but truth is most trees planted around homes are not right.
I had to remove 4 very large trees when i moved to my rural home for safety and site orientational health.

Latest posts

Back