Longest chainsaw bar ever made?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burroak

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was just wondering how long the longest chainsaw bar ever made was. Of course, pictures are required!

The longest bar I have seen was 12'. It was driven by an electric motor and operated via hydraulic lowering cylinder like a giant chop saw. That was back around 1972 or 1973. The saw was used for slabbing redwood stumps. The table tops that came out of the shop the 2 owners ran were beautiful! I got involved because they wanted to buy a used fire engine so they could wash the stumps off where they were dug up.

L-M Slab Saw.

L-MSLABSAW.jpg

Back to the subject at hand...........

The helper handle on that L-M saw looks like one off a Von Ruden.

Bill

We had a picture for years in the shop of two guys running a model 99 Mac with a 14' bar on it, dropping big Redwood. Longest bar I've seen first hand was 96", and the guy that owned that did quartering of big logs that came into the local mill in Central Point, Or. Longest bar I've run was 72" on a Stihl 076, working up big Port Orford Cedar.

I would love to find some of the old long bars but I know that will not happen.

I believe CBR is my only option.

Bill

Well Bill, it depends on what motor you're looking for long bars for. I have a buddy, a retired log cutter turned machinist/fabricator that has about 600 bars for early 60's to present saws. I know he's got some 7 and 8 footers in there...

Latest posts

Back