Look what came home with me!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are cute when they are little, but coons get pretty nasty when they get bigger. I know from first hand experience......careful.

+1, absolutely! They DO NOT make good pets, I too learned this the hard way. I'd get rid of it before it bites one of the kids.

ended up giving one to my little sister, and found out from the vet that they can't be kept as house pets, and the vet won't vaccinate them. something about a disease they can transfer to humans that affects the brain.

Should we start watching blsnelling for erratic posts? :monkey:

+1, absolutely! They DO NOT make good pets, I too learned this the hard way. I'd get rid of it before it bites one of the kids.

Hmmm - I love all animals.........:bang:

I even stopped shooting birds about 25 years ago - but still has the shotguns.....go figure......

Last edited:
Hmmm - I love all animals.........:bang:

I even stopped shooting birds about 25 years ago - but still has the shotguns.....go figure......

Stewed or fried?

:D

Oh, okay, I'm sorry.

;)

attachment.php

I worked with a guy who raised a litter of them. He said they were real cute till he came one day from work and they got out of the cage and trashed the house. He got rid of them after that.

I had one when I was a kid

If you catch them young enough, they make great little pets. If yours is happy crawling around on you, then it is young enough.

They can be housebroken, and they are lots smarter and stronger than cats or dogs. Ours crawled a broomstick up onto the stove and stole the roast out of the pot before it got too hot. We couldn't get it back, either.

Be prepared to let them grow wild. Make sure they can roam at night, because they will keep you up. All night, every night. Go for walks, let them learn to hunt their own food. Keep an "open door" while they are growing wild. Eventually they will only come back to show you the grandkids and to get some free grub. Turn off the food, they quit coming back.

I knew a guy that brought one home too.... they hand raised it and the kids really loved it... I kept telling him to get rid of it, but nooooo, it was too cute ect... ect... Well, some months after he brought it home, it was in his yard, and some neighbor kids came over... The damn thing ran over and bit one of the kids... NOW, that was one "expensive" lesson for him... He got a ticket, a pile of med bills and on and on and on... Can you say law suite????

It weren't pretty!!

Rob

Oh, yeah. I forgot.

They can be mean as he!!, and NOTHING beats them in a fight. Unless you bring your pet wolverine along.

Pet puppies are much more notorious for biting the neighbor's kids, especially after they grow up. NOTHING bites more people than "man's best friend", but they are an accepted variety of pet.

I think our 'coons were much less hazard than the dogs were. 'Coons will almost always run before they fight. Corner them to your regret.

If you handle them a lot, and train them, they can make wonderful but frustrating "pets..." You need to make the decision real soon.... once "domesticated, it's difficult for them to return to the wild without seeing us as "food/warmth/fun".

Get it to vet- it needs shots, and if you are keeping it...like all responsible owners... spayed/neutered...

We have many around here, all "wild", and nobody will take a shot at them if I'm around...

Last edited:
Brad,

I no way do I want to delve into your business but you may want to check with your DNR. In Illinois you cannot keep a a wild animal in captivity with a permit from the DOC (DNR). Also cutting a den tree is illegal. Granted you had no knowledge that is was a den tree so no decent DOC/DNR officer will say anything about that. They will however nail you if you coast your boat into a "rat" house when running floats. Now here I will assure you will will come after you if you have a coon in captivity.

As for the coons being a problem there I understand that the market is looking good for fall. Here is a good catch.

Bill

Thanks, that brought back memories of one I raised for a about two years when I was twelve. Found him on the creek bank in late June. He was a little feisty until I doused him with warm water then dried off in a towel and he warmed right up to me. Very intelligent animal and a lot of fun. Never got mean but he didn't like to be pestered - bit my brother once while walking on a handrail and my brother tried to pick him up. When I'd be out at night finding nightcrawlers for fishing bait, I'd stick a few through his cage - he loved 'em. Finally let him go but never saw him again.

Once they are free, I don't advise attracting them back with food due to the rabies threat.

There is a rabies vaccination for a coon

They drop food packets with it in them here along the TN/VA border to control rabies outbreaks .

I dont think a vet will give the one designed for a dog..Im not sure it effective. And most state laws prohibit keeping wild animals as pets.

That being said.. I know several people who have successfully had them as pets.

Back