Looking at either a Stihl 462 or 500i

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

memory

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I currently have a Stihl 441RCM running a 25" bar that is about 7 years old. No major issues at all with it, except if you put it down while idling and pick it up, it will die but always starts right back up, doesn't happen everytime. Not checked that out yet but guessing something is out of alignment and needs adjusting. We cut wood mainly to heat house and water all year round, it's an old farm house. We do sell some, just bundles and not all that much. May start selling by bigger amounts since we have lots of ash to clean up and don't want to see it go to waste.

I am thinking about replacing it with either a 462 or 500i. I know the 500i is not available in the states yet, think I read spring time somewhere. Do I "need" to replace it? No, but figured maybe upgrade while the 441 still has value. I thought about the 461 as well but but it is heavier than the 462. Weight would be another reason for upgrading, the 441 can get a little heavy.

I don't need to do something right now so could wait for the 500i but not sure it is worth it in my situation. Plus not sure I would like the price tag on it. I know alot of people rave about the 500i. I also don't run a saw everyday or all day.

I talked to my local stihl dealer and they have the 462 between $1100 and $1200, they have the 461 for about $1000. Forgot to ask them about the 500i. The 441 I have now is the RCM model, which has the dual larger dawgs, larger cluth cover, full wrap handle. The dealer says they don't have that version in the 462. Can you get the 462 with the larger clutch cover? Don't really need the full wrap handle or even the larger dawgs but that is nice but would not mind having the larger clutch cover.

What about the value of my 441RCM? It is in good shape, been well taken care of, always ran ethanol free gas along with the stihl ultra oil in the gray bottle at 50:1 mix.

Not sure if I would be able to use the chains I have now on either the 462 or the 500i, will have to check that out and see what the new one uses. Whatever I decide to get, I would more than likely stay with 25", haven't really had a "need" for anything bigger than that.

We also have a Stihl 261CM.

Did Rural King stop selling Stihl saws? Went to their website and no Stihls listed. That is where I bought the 441. Is there a reason they stopped selling them?

For a bar that size definitely go with the 462. The wrap handle 462 is available, but I'm not sure what cover or dawgs it comes with. Stihl saws often go for more than they're actually worth IMHO and I personally wouldn't pay more than $400 for a good used 441, but that's me, I've seen them go for $600+ in good shape.

Don't know when the 500i will be widely available as it was recently recalled in other countries, so who knows.

The 462 and 500i will both have the same bar mount as your 441.

The point of the larger clutch cover is to keep your fingers out of the chain while you're using the wrap. No point in having it without the wrap. But yes, you can buy a larger clutch cover for the new saws. And for sure the 462 is available with a wrap. I'd just about bet the farm that the 500 will be as well.

Without knowing what you're cutting, if you're happy with the 441, the 462 will be great. If you want more power, then maybe you want to think about waiting or having one shipped over.

Who are these guys? This has not been what I've been hearing.

I have seen a you tube video implying that, but my impression of you tube test videos is that the poster shows the results he (or she) desire to show with it. Not really good fish in my book.
That said my choice would be a 462, because it is reasonable.

The 462 is a very good saw I loved the ones iv ran. If the 500i is based off of the cut off saw it should be a monster as well iv talked to a few guys on jobs running them and they have nothing but good things to say. The real question would be whether it is here by the time you will need it. Also it depends on your rural king store if they carry stihl. You can go on stihls website and do a dealer look up and it should tell you if you're rural king is still carrying them.

The 462 is much smaller than the 500. There is an “R” version available which includes dual Dawgs and a 3/4 wrap bar. The oiler and clutch cover are the same on the R and standard versions, at least the cover was on mine (R version).

Both the 462 and 500i are impressive stock saws. If you’ve been using a 441 happily, the 462 will be great. It’s an excellent design that really has been “maxed out” by the factory.

Both saws are louder than the average Stihl of the past. A muffler mod does wake them both up. You will be very impressed when you switch over.

My MMWS ms462 surprises me Everytime I use it. I always expect it to be heavier and I always expect it to bog in a pinch.
It just keeps cutting even when it has every right to bog down.
I'm super happy with it. It's a lightweight powerhouse. I never ran it stock so I can't speak to a factory saw.
It made me rethink my raker adjustment since it was bumping off the Rev limiter buried in oak.

The 462 is much smaller than the 500. There is an “R” version available which includes dual Dawgs and a 3/4 wrap bar. The oiler and clutch cover are the same on the R and standard versions, at least the cover was on mine (R version).

Both the 462 and 500i are impressive stock saws. If you’ve been using a 441 happily, the 462 will be great. It’s an excellent design that really has been “maxed out” by the factory.

Both saws are louder than the average Stihl of the past. A muffler mod does wake them both up. You will be very impressed when you switch over.

When you say the 462 is smaller, do you mean in physical size? According to my local dealer, there is no R version(besides the rescue version) for the 462 even though they list it on the stihl website. He had a pamphlet that showed all the stihl models and the RCM model was not listed.

Not sure I need the wrap handle that comes with the R version, my 441 has it and don't think I ever used it. Thought the R version would come with a high output oiler and larger clutch cover, The R version on the 441 did.

Any idea what I could sell my 441 for? Don't have any pics at the moment but it is in good clean shape.

Rural Kings website will never show Stihl saws. You have to go to Stihl's website and then search for dealer by your zipcode. Nice thing is that it'll tell ya the price and if that store has them in stock. But if you have a good dealer in your area, you're likely to get a better price and service than what you'll get through RK.

Rural Kings website will never show Stihl saws. You have to go to Stihl's website and then search for dealer by your zipcode. Nice thing is that it'll tell ya the price and if that store has them in stock. But if you have a good dealer in your area, you're likely to get a better price and service than what you'll get through RK.
I love rural king I often say if they sold frozen food they would put Walmart out of business. However this is 100% correct in my experience the local guys will beat them price wise and there is usually no comparison between the knowledge base. It usually comes down between someone who has been to stihl school 1 or 2 times and someone who has been there enough to know better than what big stihl tells them.

Also for the op it depends heavily on where you live whether you can order a r model from the factory. For instance if I look up a ms462r-cm the closest dealer that can get one is in Pennsylvania.

When you say the 462 is smaller, do you mean in physical size? According to my local dealer, there is no R version(besides the rescue version) for the 462 even though they list it on the stihl website. He had a pamphlet that showed all the stihl models and the RCM model was not listed.

Not sure I need the wrap handle that comes with the R version, my 441 has it and don't think I ever used it. Thought the R version would come with a high output oiler and larger clutch cover, The R version on the 441 did.

Any idea what I could sell my 441 for? Don't have any pics at the moment but it is in good clean shape.
5C170DC5-DB0E-4BA9-8D2E-1997486CE397.jpeg Sthil dealers:rolleyes:
D0D335FA-BC5A-47CE-93C4-0B29CB602E52.jpeg

I really enjoy my 462(I feel like I type this constantly on this forum lol)

However, I'm intrigued by the 500i and I will try one out when they're available. I may or may not sell the 462 for a 500i depending on how it feels in my hands.

Both great saws, so if you needed something soon, a 462 is a great saw and will serve well. If you can wait and see how the 500i compares and what the 500i doing on the market does to the 462 prices, you might be able to save some money if you wait.

You're right on about the volume! My new neighbor bought a 462 this summer for clearing some trees by his place. I hadn't gone over there yet, but I knew he had something different. Sounded like a ported saw from over here, at least compared to what I normally hear in the neighborhood.

Back