Looking at getting my first big name saw tomorrow

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made a lot of progress yesterday. Going to church this morning and then to TSC to pick up a few bags of concrete to get these post all set and ready to hang some beams on.
Ps: if you were wondering about how the stihl is holding up, we are 20+ tanks of gas in and its still running strong. Goes through a tank about every 6x6 post. It does go trough some bar oil fairly quick but thats probably a good thing when ripping boards.

@Skeans I do like the idea of an undercut but for me I just fell more comfortable and in control of the direction of fall with an open face or a conventional cut. I have been cutting another 8-12 inches off each bottom (cutting off the outward cone?) so I can get my board on a flat surface when ripping so waste isn't much of a big deal at the bottom.

TSC was out of concrete so I just went ahead and braced and squared everything up before the rain comes in tomorrow. Its looking well.... Very big! My daughter is getting really excited, she keeps telling me thank you daddy while she "helps". This has been a great family project and I am looking forward to the many hours spent in the playhouse together as a family after it is finished.

@Skeans I do like the idea of an undercut but for me I just fell more comfortable and in control of the direction of fall with an open face or a conventional cut. I have been cutting another 8-12 inches off each bottom (cutting off the outward cone?) so I can get my board on a flat surface when ripping so waste isn't much of a big deal at the bottom.

de5fc3c64225302de540aac6b6e8a6c4.jpg
75104e632c34bb992d3f72ef66983cb7.jpg
1995cd8c40e5394d3f6016dad0e2770b.jpg

Some ideas of how I’ve cut timber in the past, in the PNW you’ll see more Humbodlt style stumps one reason is the ground, two is safety of a tree coming back at you, three a clean butt, and four you have more control of the tree well on the stump.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Got quite a bit done this weekend. Got the last 2 post ripped and set. Put the big beams up and poured concrete for the post. Started on taking our back deck apart on our house (going to use the deck and set it on top of the beams to make the deck for the playhouse to set on). We are going to replace the porch on the house with a concrete patio so no worries. Here are some pictures

I got a lot done saturday. What was our back porch is now sitting atop the cedar beams and I got about half of the decking boards screwed in place. It is definitely starting to look like something. Sorry for the poor photo quality, it was raining and dark after work while I finished up a few things on it this evening.

Are you taking the round logs that are a bit larger than you need and taking off 4 sides so it ends up square? Does this leave the heart of the tree down the center of the board? Just an observation, I don't know enough about it to understand what kind of impact this has. The ripping did come out nice.

Nice buy on the saw which then turned into a lot of great work on the playhouse!

Are you taking the round logs that are a bit larger than you need and taking off 4 sides so it ends up square? Does this leave the heart of the tree down the center of the board? Just an observation, I don't know enough about it to understand what kind of impact this has. The ripping did come out nice.

Nice buy on the saw which then turned into a lot of great work on the playhouse!

Thank you, and yes, the attempt with the post ripping was to leave just the red center on the cedar (does not rot like the yellowish sides). So I have 4 rough cut cedar "boards" left from each beam. Thinking on using them for a door or flooring possibly.

Latest posts

Back