Looking at getting my first big name saw tomorrow

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes sir, thats what we call them too. And thank you.
Welcome.
I'm planning on moving our shed back and raising it up on black locust logs for legs, with the ends squared up so I can put large torx style lags into the rim joist but also leaving it with a place for the rim joist to rest on them like yours has.
I'll use locust logs to lift it up and move it, it's 8' wide by 12' long with a 42" wide porch that's 12' long. Once it's raised up about a ft I'll backfill up to it so the ground in front is more level. When it's all done the grade will be similar from the woodshed to the bonfire pit which is where I back into to dump all the brush from my trailer, it will also clean into the setting better.
The kids fort that was damaged this summer by wind/trees will be raised up or completely moved, haven't decided, but at least moved to backfill.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-12-11 at 12.04.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-11 at 12.04.17 AM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 15
  • Screen Shot 2019-12-11 at 12.04.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-11 at 12.04.42 AM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 15
Welcome sir! Some good work you’re doing. I have an 029 super carcass in the shed and I’ll have to look to see what all it still has so if you need any parts let me know. Nice family, be safe!

@chipper1 sounds like my house, always planning or working on something new. The outside of the playhouse will look similar to the shed you have. Was planning on 1/2 plywood and trim it out with 1x4 strips from the cedar scraps so it looks like board and batten.

@chipper1 sounds like my house, always planning or working on something new. The outside of the playhouse will look similar to the shed you have. Was planning on 1/2 plywood and trim it out with 1x4 strips from the cedar scraps so it looks like board and batten.
Lots of plans, but it all takes time or cash, unfortunately it seems you only have excess of one or the other lol.
I thought about doing the fillers, but for firewood I figured the airflow would be a better option.

Wasn't planning on doing any playhouse work today but the girls both fell asleep so I figured I would get something done. I am currently out of 2x4's until they throw some more in the dumpsters at work or I go buy some, or maybe lowes decides to sponsor this build lol.
So without any studs I ripped two more beams for the bridge/swing set to attach to the side of the playhouse. Was planning on two beams and putting decking between the two but now am considering just one beam and putting angled hand rails on the sides ( something like this \_/ ). I also debarked one of the post I had so I could use it to hold up one end of the bridge. After about an hour of stripping the bark with a hatchet I had one naked 8in. 8ft. cedar post.

wow 029 big step from what you use to work with poulan wood sharks I have a 029 supper Its a keeper for me the poulan wood sharks are light and are very hard to work on from my experance a lot of time no good results.

glad you got a what I call a real saw.

wow 029 big step from what you use to work with poulan wood sharks I have a 029 supper Its a keeper for me the poulan wood sharks are light and are very hard to work on from my experance a lot of time no good results.

glad you got a what I call a real saw.

Absolutely, I have had to retune the carb every time I use one. The old homelite would run circles around them too. But all the poulans have been given to me so I guess I can't complain. The sthil is still running strong. Maybe an update on how the saw is doing is needed...

Sthil 029 super update after around 10 ripped square post anywhere from 10 to 14 ft and a bit of fire wood as well.

This saw is still a runner, seems to run better and better as it gets colder outside. The cedar doesn't seem to ware too much on the chain (sharpened each day after ripping). Also I have found that running the saw at a lower speed seems to cut better as far as ripping goes. It takes about a tank of gas to completely rip two post.

As far as ripping goes, it straight up whoops you. Forget the gym, sore abs and back the next day are a certainty after moving and ripping a couple post. Lifting the beams was the hardest thing yet.

Taking my daughter outside to "help" me work on the playhouse now. Picked up a lot of lumber and cattle paneling last night so I have lots to get done.

Thats all for today...
All the walls are up, temporarily put in some windows, swing/bridge is up (barely, it was heavy!). And my body is toast so....

Have a merry Christmas everyone!

Back