looking for a 9 to 10 lb. chainsaw 35cc to 42cc recommendation?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CLARK HODGIN

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm looking for a small 40ish cc saw and need recommendations. This is what I've looked into.

husky 440 16" bar- good price but I here they have a plastic clamp that can fail and cause saw to lock up?

Dolmar ea4300 - a little heavy but mag case good power made in China? I hope not ...

Dolmar ea3500 - 35cc saw but good power for a 9.5 lb. saw made in china?

Husky 543xp - great saw $$$$

Stihl ms241- great saw too $$$$

I guess I am leaning toward dolmar ea4300 youy thoughts will be appreciated...

I love my Dolmar 4300...much better saw than my Husky 543XP. I believe the 3500 is the same chassis as the 4300 but can't swear by it, if so same weight but more power with 4300.
Never ran a 241 but have heard nothing but great reviews...I want to add one to the stable.

The old saying, ya get what you pay for. I saw more wood with my 241 than most of my other saws. They have been discontinued by Stihl but some shops may still have some on hand.

I have had a ms241, a Dolmar 421 (4300) and a Husqvarna 545. The best feeling saw was (is) the 545 for me, the 421 felt heavier and the Stihl felt a tad cheaper build than its price suggests. I was happy with the Dolmar and sold the Stihl. And still have the 545...

Just my two cents [emoji106]

Echo CS 400, 40.2 cc 10, pounds dry weight.MSRP 299.99 comes with a 5 year home owners warranty.
Be sure to buy from a dealer and have them tune the saw before it leaves the shop. they tend to be set lean from the factory.

Mine is about to turn 4 years old in 28 days. Only problem I have with it is I like it so much I have bought a ton of chains for it. I am willing to bet I cut 3/4 of last falls fire wood with it which amounted to 14 face cords.
Likes to ride on the tractor just because it is so cotton picking handy.

xIgFDdX.jpg

Even when the Jred goes along the Echo is the one I grab first.

K1yw4DV.jpg

mpO0uor.jpg

Mine cost me just a shade over 250.00 after the dealer gave me a veterans discount.

:D Al

I really like the ms261c I bought a few months ago. Very light and they have plenty of power to run a 20'' bar. Mine starts easier then any other saw I've owned and has great throttle response and it sips fuel. It's now my favorite saw in my fleet.

Friend in WV told me of a neighbour that was cutting walked about 50 yards away to, well you know. When he returned to the cut site some one had taken the saw.

Now if it had been a Echo and stuck it on a Bota tractor it would have blended in and not possiable been seen.

:D Al

My wife used to do the yard work at church. One of the fellows saw her heading to the flower beds so he got the back pack blower out, gassed it up, started it, and set it next to their shed for her. A bit lat she went to get it and couldn't find it. Ed said he set it out for her. Checked the security tapes, sure enough, some low life walked by and picked it up. On top, the security tape was too blurry to see.

The 35 cc Makita is incredible. I’d definitely buy one again. IMO stock it will outcut all of the low 40 cc saws save the 4300 and 241. With muffler mod it will outcut them.

I used my MS 210 the other day to cut a nice load of elm. My arms were kind of sore from using my big saws. I was suprised how well it cut and I cut this whole load on 1 tank of gas and didn't run out. I did do a muffler mod to it to get a little more power.20190419_101737.jpg 20190419_101732.jpg

Latest posts

Back