Looking for a box strong enough to ship an MS440 safely.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ship a lot of saws and I use the saw box and then something like a Lowes/HD box to double box it. Stihls are famous for cracking around the oil fill cap where that little ear sticks out in front.

I don't remove all dogs/spikes. If they are small, I place a piece of foam in front of them so they can't penetrate the box. Also important to pad the handle so it fits tight and doesn't allow the saw to flop back and forth.

I pad the recoil and handle area as well as the the handle and clutch cover area in the original saw box. In the double/outer box, I add bubble wrap, extra cardboard and plenty of tape.

If you are using a non saw box, I wrap the whole saw several times in bubble wrap before placing it in the box. Foam from old electronics/TV boxes creates good filler material that also adds some shock absorption.

Hope this helps. You can also shrink/pallet wrap the box to create some extra reinforcement and security, especially if you want to preserve and original box for an old saw.

The blue circle in the pic shows where Stihls are prone to damage during shipping.

View attachment 756326

I 'm just curious... did you post that to elevate yourself or to support the receiver of that 440 ?

I receive complete dirtbike engines/trannies in those Walmart blue storage containers with the lid zip tied on. Never a problem with ups or fedex. I think it’s the safest way to ship it. They put plywood or layers of cardboard on the bottom for strength. Then strap the saw to plywood so it can’t roll around or pack it tight,

No, we don't have Lowes or HD. I grab boxes at this place we have that's like a Wal-Mart before they were supercenters.

It's called Jumbo but I didn't figure anyone would know what I was talking about if I said Jumbo. :D:surprised3:

Follow this guys advice... There is no way anything could damage a saw the way he packs stuff! Do spare an extra 10 minutes of your life struggling to oven the boxed, boxed, boxed, box!!!!!!! HAHAHAHA!

Bar off, wrap saw in a plastic bag and place in a double walled box on scrunched up newspaper base then fill the box voids with expanding foam; as the foam expands close and seal the top of the box. That has worked for me

Bar off, wrap saw in a plastic bag and place in a double walled box on scrunched up newspaper base then fill the box voids with expanding foam; as the foam expands close and seal the top of the box. That has worked for me

And what do you do with the bar?

FC7C902B-6549-47A2-ADA5-6419508C85B2.jpeg
And what do you do with the bar?
I use insulation board like this kingspan stuff. It come up to 8ft length, weighs almost nothing and when sandwiched between two taped layers the bar is snugly protected

when I was selling on fleabay I would pick up used boxes at the tobacco store. They come with the top cut off. I would use either packing peanuts or go to the carpet store and get used padding to pack with. Be sure to drain all gas and oil and put in a garbage bag with the top tied together, not with the pull strings, but with the bag itself. If you can't do that use another bag and put it on from the tied end of the other bag. Some of the boxes are different sizes. The most popular size will take a saw and 16" bar. Use two boxes, put every thing in one then put the other box over the first one. I shipped between two to three hundred saws possibly more and had only one damaged. UPS paid a claim within a week. Tom

Elevate yourself....????????. wow.

Buttercup is just a troll.

The last saws I shipped I bought heavy duty moving boxes big enough to fit the bar as well at Walmart, put them in plastic bags, packed them bubble wrap. They made it to forum members Georgia's and Indiana in good shape.

Elevate yourself....????????. wow.

Buttercup is just a troll...

My apologies sirs, when I'm sober I am the most respectful, considerate, sensible and lovable guy you'd ever met, not a troll at all.
And I'm not afraid to offer my sincere apologies and ask humbly about your forgiveness if I ever insulted you; please forgive me - I'm just a fool.
However, I need to let the steam out every once and then... and it results in the most confusing and seemingly unrelated statements.
Just take a hit back at me any time - like when I'm proud and fragile, I deserve it - I guess.

My apologies sirs, when I'm sober I am the most respectful, considerate, sensible and lovable guy you'd ever met, not a troll at all.
And I'm not afraid to offer my sincere apologies and ask humbly about your forgiveness if I ever insulted you; please forgive me - I'm just a fool.
However, I need to let the steam out every once and then... and it results in the most confusing and seemingly unrelated statements.
Just take a hit back at me any time - like when I'm proud and fragile, I deserve it - I guess.

I have no ill will towards you sir. Have a good rest of the day.

Perhaps it would be wise to consider avoidance of (excessive) drinking and posting, just as we do drinking and driving. I'm reminded of the scene in "Sideways" where Miles secretly makes an embarrassing call to his ex-wife in the restaurant. Jack confronts him: Miles, have you been drinking and dialing again? You went over to the dark side, didn't you?

As for the subject at hand . . . double box with styrofoam between boxes. Packing peanuts are useless when loose - they shift around. When stuffed in plastic grocery bags they can be packed tight and they stay put.

Latest posts

Back