Looking for a full wrap handle for a 550xp 1st Gen

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bumstead27

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
TLDR: looking for a full wrap handle for huqvarna 550xp first generation

Hey guys don't know where to post this. If there's a more dedicated saw talk forum please post me in the right direction.

My personal chainsaw is a 461 with a 3/4 wrap and I love it. Usually it is sporting a 28" light bar but occasionally it sports a 18" when I want to wield a lightsaber. I really appreciate the added capacity the wraparound handle gives me.

I work wildfire and am the cutter on my crew. Often I am cutting down large amounts of trees to open up areas for helipads and shortline sling operations. At work I am given a 550xp with an 18" bar. A significantly lighter setup then my personal setup and one that is very nicely balanced. It has a normal 1/2 wrap.

You would think that I would feel better after using this setup but the opposite is true. I have bad elbows from hockey injuries but at the end of the day I feel fine. For the next few days after cutting all day my elbows are incredibly tight and sore. I have decided that this is from back barring all day long.

Time is of the essence when helicopters are circling and I don't have time to dance around to different sides of the trees to ensure I am able to use the bottom of the bar and dawg in. So a lot of the time I will back bar my backcut. It's a little chainsaw and I'm a strong guy I don't notice any strain at all. I think this is what is hurting my elbows though at the end of the day.

I want a full wrap setup so that I can avoid back barring to see if it helps. Any suggestions?

TLDR: looking for a full wrap handle for huqvarna 550xp first generation

Hey guys don't know where to post this. If there's a more dedicated saw talk forum please post me in the right direction.

My personal chainsaw is a 461 with a 3/4 wrap and I love it. Usually it is sporting a 28" light bar but occasionally it sports a 18" when I want to wield a lightsaber. I really appreciate the added capacity the wraparound handle gives me.

I work wildfire and am the cutter on my crew. Often I am cutting down large amounts of trees to open up areas for helipads and shortline sling operations. At work I am given a 550xp with an 18" bar. A significantly lighter setup then my personal setup and one that is very nicely balanced. It has a normal 1/2 wrap.

You would think that I would feel better after using this setup but the opposite is true. I have bad elbows from hockey injuries but at the end of the day I feel fine. For the next few days after cutting all day my elbows are incredibly tight and sore. I have decided that this is from back barring all day long.

Time is of the essence when helicopters are circling and I don't have time to dance around to different sides of the trees to ensure I am able to use the bottom of the bar and dawg in. So a lot of the time I will back bar my backcut. It's a little chainsaw and I'm a strong guy I don't notice any strain at all. I think this is what is hurting my elbows though at the end of the day.

I want a full wrap setup so that I can avoid back barring to see if it helps. Any suggestions?
You wont find one. Are your left handed by chance? Not many trees in Northern Ontario that even require dawgs.

You wont find one. Are your left handed by chance? Not many trees in Northern Ontario that even require dawgs.
Nope I'm a righty and I'm with you 100% that they don't require dawgs in northern Ontario.

This is because of my previous elbow injury though. I had reconstructive surgery at 15 and long days on the saw mess me up for days afterward.

I have noticed that long days with bigger chainsaws such as my 461 or even a 661 while cutting big hardwoods for arborist work that my elbows feel completely fine. I annecdotally believe that this is because I don't back bar with these chainsaws. My 461 I flip over with the wrap handle.

and when I'm doing arborist work in big Winnipeg hardwood with a 661 or 880 let's face it there's no rush and there is flat unobstructed ground 360 degrees around the tree 98% of the time. I simply walk around the tree and can dog in. Much less strain on my elbows.

If wrap handle is not possible I would love to hear suggestions on how to lesson the strain. Upper body strength I don't think is the issue I played competitive junior hockey a hockey for a long time have always been active sports such as climbing and skiing and doing manual labour.

Suggestions for stretching and warmup are welcome!

Can you get a different saw for work? 562 with a wrap maybe.
My work saw is not one that was personally bought by me. It is a government owned saw that I am assigned at the beggining of the season. In the spring it is first come first serve in the warehouse to snatch up the 550's. Late comers are left with 359's and 254's.

For the summer it is my baby, come fall I hand it in and hope to get another well taken care of one come next spring

Can't tell if you're being sarcastic, don't see how that would make any difference though so assuming sarcasm
Well seeing as back barring is using the top side of the bar, dual dawgs allow for more cutting positions. Hence reducing the effort required on the body whilst in the cut.

Well seeing as back barring is using the top side of the bar, dual dawgs allow for more cutting positions. Hence reducing the effort required on the body whilst in the cut.
Ya I get ya there but when I'm on the right side of the tree I can't comfortably cut with the bottom side of bar with only a 1/2 wrap handle therefor dual dawgs are kinda unnecessary without the full wrap handle

Back