• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy Looking for a mid 70-80cc saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug28

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
C960055C-BD46-45B6-87F7-21314FE9B53C.jpeg D27C8D58-6637-4B08-A1F3-7F2572079198.jpeg A9FA2307-E3AA-4BBF-99C8-6BB118DCF943.jpeg 77B85ACB-40C7-4A6C-AD00-19075ADA86F1.jpeg I’m in the market for a mid 70-80cc saw for my firewood needs, I have a Dolmar 420 towards the purchase, has a few Stihl chains to go along with the 16” bar, looking for a Dolmar 7900-7910 or a husqvarna xp series saw, let me know what you have guys

I'm in Michigan too. I have a very nice 372xp with a 24in bar and chain. Saw is a 2014. 170lbs. Compression. Looks like it was never used. I have more pics. Available

Attachments

• 20180120_140825.jpg
    20180120_140825.jpg
    903 KB · Views: 36
I live in Swartz Creek, I have a husqvarna 365 special I use regularly and I know i can do a upgrade to get it over the 70cc mark but I’m really looking for a stock saw closer to 80cc, Ive been looking at the (dolkitas) but not wanting to drop the $900-1000, I’d like to keep my budget around $500 along with the 420, not sure if that’s a reality but that’s why I’m on here

I have the bar covered so just looking for a powerhead, I predominantly run the 5105 with a 18” bar with Oregon LGX and the husky 365 wears a 20” same chain, just want a bigger cc saw for stumping and bore cuts, just wanna say this forum is really awesome, I’ve watched Craigslist for years with little success besides that 365 that was mint, nice to see that I’m not alone in my love for firewood and saws

The older 2-series huskies that would fit would be a 272 (70cc) and 288xp (88cc). The 288 is pricey and has a faithful following.
Then you move into the 3-series Husky and you’ve got the 372xp (70cc) and 372xpw/375xp (75cc), 385 (85cc) and 390xp (90cc). The 372xpw/375xp is kind of rarer and more expensive. The “legendary” 372xp got “upgraded” to a strato design and became “x-torq” around 2012.
Then there is a brand new 572xp that is coming to market, but it won’t be here till the fall and will be expensive.

A 70cc saw wears a 24” bar well, but can run a 28” with softer wood cutting. A 32” is pushing it. An 80cc saw would be at home with a 28” bar.

Stihl options are 044, ms440, ms441 in 70cc. 046, ms460, ms461 and ms462 is 76cc. And 066, ms660 and ms661 in 90cc. I’m not as familiar with them.

Dolmar had the 7900, and later 7910 at 80cc. The 7900 is NLA and rarer so more expensive.

Agreed Derf on your post, i had a 044 but it wasnt the saw for me, stihl is plaqued by bad oilers and that saw like a saturn was either great or a dud, we all know the debate between the two orange saws, torque vs speed, i love my 365 special but its truly at its best with a 20" bar, i also have a ms361 that i bought myself new and most guys seen that saw outfitted with a stihl 25" bar, its a beast with a 18-20" that 25" bar is hanging, im sure the saw im looking for will show up on this forum, thanks to all of the responses, ive beeen heating with wood for 12 years and will heat till this body fails me.......then itll b the wifes turn ;)

Agreed Derf on your post, i had a 044 but it wasnt the saw for me, stihl is plaqued by bad oilers and that saw like a saturn was either great or a dud, we all know the debate between the two orange saws, torque vs speed, i love my 365 special but its truly at its best with a 20" bar, i also have a ms361 that i bought myself new and most guys seen that saw outfitted with a stihl 25" bar, its a beast with a 18-20" that 25" bar is hanging, im sure the saw im looking for will show up on this forum, thanks to all of the responses, ive beeen heating with wood for 12 years and will heat till this body fails me.......then itll b the wifes turn ;)

You should hold on to the 420 and give it to the wife. Great little saw. I'd probably cry if I had to give my Dolkita 421 away.

For your current needs, I recommend the 7900. The 7910 is more limited in HP and RPM's and will come with the catalytic converter exhaust. If you are in to doing some minor modding, no big deal, but it seems to me the 7900 would be a great choice if you find one in good condition. There is an excellent 7301 (I believe) on here right now. At least it was here yesterday. Makita and a NICE looking saw.

Cheers, :cheers:

The 7910 is more limited in HP and RPM's and will come with the catalytic converter exhaust. If you are in to doing some minor modding, no big deal, but it seems to me the 7900 would be a great choice if you find one in good condition.
Do you think the 7900 will be noticeably different than a 7910, is this based on your experience, or what you've read.
Curious I am :).

Do you think the 7900 will be noticeably different than a 7910, is this based on your experience, or what you've read.
think there is .4 hp and the unlimited coil difference all I favor of the 7900...however I have (read) there is not MUCH of a difference in the cut however ....... :)...until you try them yourself Brett you will never know...lol.....

think there is .4 hp and the unlimited coil difference all I favor of the 7900...however I have (read) there is not MUCH of a difference in the cut however ....... :)...until you try them yourself Brett you will never know...lol.....
All I hear is specs specs specs:baaa:.
Guess I better get on that :rock:.

The 7900 DOES NOT have an unlimited coil. As far as I know, the 7900 coil was limited to 13,500 and the 7910 coil is limited to 12,900. The stock 7900 coil is perfectly adequate for just about any saw, other than (maybe) a really hot port job where you need to tune the saw higher than that in the cut... my MMWS 7900 ran just fine with the stock coil. I guess tuning it with a tach is out, but tuning in the cut is pretty simple to do.

I wish I still had it, but the Solo/7910 hybrid with (unlimited) 272xp coil that replaced it runs pretty damn good, too.

Well, both I suppose. Reading is sort of a prerequisite to the forum, so yes I do read quite a lot and I do have experience with my saws and the saws I've ran. I'm making a suggestion to the OP based on both. He can do what he chooses with the suggestion, but at least he has the information to consider when he makes his decision.

I am running a built 7910, which was based off a 6400 chassis, so I feel comfortable to say to the OP (who wants a firewood saw that is stock and close to 80cc) that the 13,500 coil on the 6400/7900 models are preferable to me, as most other folks here on AS agree. The difference of the two may not be that much, but the OP didn't ask for a project saw or a saw that needs mods. Since the 7900 is without a cat muffler (stock) and has a 13,500 coil (also stock), it just seems like a good fit, and ready to run, versus needing this and that and tinkering to get it where he wants. And, the OP says "not wanting to drop the $900-$1000" on a new Dolkita. Since I was reading the OP's posts and he has all but ruled out a new 7910, I understood the OP is in the market for a used but good condition saw, therefore, I still suggest a good used 7900--13,500 coil, catless muffler and it will more than likely be in the OP's budget range. It seems like a simple and logical fit, if he can find one.

Also, from my experience (I'm not claiming to be the Master Yoda of chainsaws) cat mufflers run hot, therefore, exhibiting a noticeable difference to the operator/s.

Well, both I suppose. Reading is sort of a prerequisite to the forum, so yes I do read quite a lot and I do have experience with my saws and the saws I've ran. I'm making a suggestion to the OP based on both. He can do what he chooses with the suggestion, but at least he has the information to consider when he makes his decision.

I am running a built 7910, which was based off a 6400 chassis, so I feel comfortable to say to the OP (who wants a firewood saw that is stock and close to 80cc) that the 13,500 coil on the 6400/7900 models are preferable to me, as most other folks here on AS agree. The difference of the two may not be that much, but the OP didn't ask for a project saw or a saw that needs mods. Since the 7900 is without a cat muffler (stock) and has a 13,500 coil (also stock), it just seems like a good fit, and ready to run, versus needing this and that and tinkering to get it where he wants. And, the OP says "not wanting to drop the $900-$1000" on a new Dolkita. Since I was reading the OP's posts and he has all but ruled out a new 7910, I understood the OP is in the market for a used but good condition saw, therefore, I still suggest a good used 7900--13,500 coil, catless muffler and it will more than likely be in the OP's budget range. It seems like a simple and logical fit, if he can find one.

Also, from my experience (I'm not claiming to be the Master Yoda of chainsaws) cat mufflers run hot, therefore, exhibiting a noticeable difference to the operator/s.

So have you ran the 7900 in stock form and the 7910 in stock form, an how did they compare, that's all I was wondering :)
Since I've never ran a stock 7900 I was curious, I hear a lot of chatter, but it's usually people saying what they've heard or specs, I like to hear from folks who have had both or ran both side by side as that helps to separate the facts from the fiction that seems to be prevalent in the specs.

Latest posts

Back