• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Looking for a new chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1967 Tempest

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So the 20" saw I have is made out of Chinesium. It has done well. More than expected. I will keep it and use it, but I would like something with a 24" bar. I don't think I need a Stihl as this is mainly for cutting trees for firewood.

Is there any saw around 400$ that is worth buying with a 24" bar? I did a search on the forum and didnt see much thats why I started a new thread.

I was looking at this Husqvarna, thoughts? Reviews on the net are always touch and go. Apparently Stihl is the only saw that is worth the money.

http://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/chainsaws/460-rancher/#specifications

Thanks,
Dave
460-rancher-74534e10.png

For a 24" bar, you should be looking for at least a 70cc saw. $400 won't get far in this class, but you can likely did find a used Stihl 440 or a Husky 372xp for close to that price.

Some 60cc saws could likely run a 24" bar in a pinch, but not a good choice if that's the main size bar to run on it.

Hmm. Occasional use is a good way to put it. I mainly scrounge wood. I don't fell trees. I look for used, dealer is a better choice as they would sell decent used right?

IMHO, buying a clean used pro saw is almost always a better deal than buying a new saw. Let someone else eat the depreciation, and the saw will hold its value for many years. Plus they put a BIG smile on your face. Also check out the trading post forum here on AS.

If you educate yourself on the forum and stick around for a little while there can be some killer deals in the trading post on here if you're patient.

I run a 24" on my 371xp and she is a beast! I run a 18" on my Echo cs520 and if later in the day of cutting I prefer the Echo because of weight even if I have to take a bigger log from both sides, still have to load it in truck so save the back. I'm hesitant on CL and EBay because you don't know what your getting, my Husky was beautiful but had to put a P&C before I could use it, lesson learned! Trading Post here is where I would shop or get you a new Echo for what you want to spend. Just my thoughts.

you might find a used Stihl or Husky for that price that has enough cc's to run a 24 and up bar , but anything will be a step up from a china doll , all the new saws i plan to buy from now on are Echo , they are pro grade , have a 4 year warranty and are about half the price of a husky or a Stihl .

Agree with Fubar. The Echo's are a lot of saw for the money and are backed by a 5 year warranty. I know you said your limit was $400 but here is an Echo cs-600p 24" bar on Ebay for $525 brand new:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Echo-Chain-...755?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19fd0726e3

If you are just a firewood scrounger, you would probably be real happy with a cs-600p with a 20" bar. This one is listed new at $510:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-IN-BOX-...531?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c9867c13b

If I were wanting to run a 24" bar, I would go with the 620p. But a 600p tuned right with a MM should pull a 24" fine...better if you run a skip chain. If you are patient, brand new units will show up on Ebay for less than the ones listed above.

I run 24" bars on all three of my 272xp's and they all cost me under 500.00 each. I love these saws. But not like my 288xp's they are my babies run 36" bars on them and they also cut like BEAVERS GONE BERSERK. Also cost less than 500.00 each. Used is the only way to go. I wouldn't pay tax on a saw to go to work and pay tax. I completely agree with cheesecutter. NEVER be afraid to buy a pre-loved saw. Clean her up and treat er like a lady.

Fubar, I just looked up a 60cc Echo that I might be interested to buy. At 60cc it is the same price as the Husky 555 which is also a 60cc. The Husky has an autotune feature that I did not see on the Echo. I have been looking with interest at the 555 for a while now so I know what I would need to pay for one. Where do I find one of those half price Echos?

Check on your local craigslist? there are always good deals on there. I just bought a like new 3120xp for $850 off a guy who got laid off and needed cash. awesome saw. just keep looking or buy a USED one customize her the way you want.

on ebay right now is a echo cs-600 60cc with new 24" oregon bar for 380.00 24.00 shipping runs like new.

What size wood are you usually cutting? I didn't notice that asked yet and it's an important criteria. If it's a rare tree that you want the 24" bar for you might get along fine with a smaller 60cc saw that is more suited to a 20" bar and considerably lighter. Then again if you're in a lot of big wood the extra power will be nice. Personally I wouldn't want to heft anything bigger than a 60cc saw on a regular basis unless it was really needed, especially since it sounds like you're only looking for one saw but then plenty of people on here can help you change that haha.

Fubar, I just looked up a 60cc Echo that I might be interested to buy. At 60cc it is the same price as the Husky 555 which is also a 60cc. The Husky has an autotune feature that I did not see on the Echo. I have been looking with interest at the 555 for a while now so I know what I would need to pay for one. Where do I find one of those half price Echos?
i think husky has a 2 year residential warranty , Stihl's warranty is 1 year on the homeowner saws but you can get a 2 year warranty if you buy a case of ultra oil with the purchase , the pro saws are three months even if for residential use ? i didn't suggest he buy a Echo, i suggested that when i buy a new one it will be a Echo , i just happen to have Echo dealer close by to perform warranty work if necessary , the only other dealer i have close is a Stihl dealer , i mostly buy used unloved or overly loved saws myself , but i still think the Echo has the best warranty and value for some one who just wants to cut firewood , a friend of mine has a 555 AT, i do love that saw , that would be my second pick if i could float the cash .

i honestly looked for the cheapest AT 555 , but AT's don't get much cheaper than $600
$649 60 cc 2 year warranty
http://www.wisesales.com/husqvarna-555at-24in-chainsaw.html?gclid=CNfh-4Kqq8QCFfRj7AodInIA2A

$399 60 cc 5 year warranty
http://www.homedepot.com/p/ECHO-20-in-59-8-cc-Gas-Chainsaw-CS-590-20/204088613?N=5yc1vZbxamZ1z0yjrf

its not half the price but a $250 deference is a big deal to me , so please excuse the miss information it should have read a couple of hundred dollars cheaper than a husky and about half the price of a Sthil , lol .
i stand by the Echo has the best warranty and value for someone who just wants to cut firewood statement .

Latest posts

Back