• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Looking for a new chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like its too late but for wat its worth I would suggest you look for a Husqvarna 365. You get pro grade saw with large bar mount and 65cc's that pulls 20" full comp all day long. You could go 24" for occasional use and also have the option of dropping on a 372 piston/cylinder to make it a 70cc saw in the future. With the 372 top end (direct bolt on) you can then run the 24" bar all day link a boss.

This might give you some perspective. I have had a Stihl 034 for 20 years and have used it quite a bit. I heat strictly with wood. I have a 20" bar on it and keep my chain nice and sharp.
I kinda like the idea of a new saw but this one starts every time and runs strong. What more could I want.
In my opinion 20" is a long enough bar. I can remember only a few times when more would have been better. Also, the longer the bar the more dangerous it is for you.
Always take a few seconds to make sure you stay safe.

Live a positive life!

I agree my personal firewood saw is a 034 with 20" full comp. My bigger saws are for felling/bucking and the only reason I run skip on them is so on a large timber I don't load the teeth and have to keep pulling out like you would with full.

90% of what i do is bucking. So maybe ill get a killer bar chsin combo thats 20", and keep the 24" in the truck. A lot of time i had to pass cuz 20" would take forever to cut. I split a haul with a guy who was already cutting when i got onsite. His Stihl was having issues getting through the monster oak.

I havent had any issues with off the shelf full comp chains. Although, and this just might be me, it seems when my saw is under powered, the chain gets duller faster. Thats main reason for upgrade. Underpowered and takes for ever to get through anything over 16_18".

2013-2014 i used 4 cord of wood. 2014, I css 4+ and had to buy 2 cord more. This year I'm gonna css close to 6.5 cord. My 46cc saw would buckle under the pressure.

You're really not that far from driving up to see site sponsor Spike60, he will give you a sweet deal on a Husky or J Red.
Ashokan Turf and Timber.

90% of what i do is bucking. So maybe ill get a killer bar chsin combo thats 20", and keep the 24" in the truck. A lot of time i had to pass cuz 20" would take forever to cut. I split a haul with a guy who was already cutting when i got onsite. His Stihl was having issues getting through the monster oak.

I havent had any issues with off the shelf full comp chains. Although, and this just might be me, it seems when my saw is under powered, the chain gets duller faster. Thats main reason for upgrade. Underpowered and takes for ever to get through anything over 16_18".

2013-2014 i used 4 cord of wood. 2014, I css 4+ and had to buy 2 cord more. This year I'm gonna css close to 6.5 cord. My 46cc saw would buckle under the pressure.

There's an echo 6700 in the tradin post for a decent price. 68CCs, plenty of power for your uses and good quality construction.

Not sure if I posted it, but last week I did get the Echo 620p for a song!!! Free shipping and half a case of oil and a file.

I'll post a thread with pics and a vid when I get cutting.

OK, granted, I have never owned a REAL chainsaw. I usually use $200.00 saws and the like. I got to use the Echo 620p today. Light use, some Ash, Cherry, Oak, Birch. All bucking from already felled trees. THIS F-ING SAW IS AWESOME!!!!!!! I blew through the Ash and Oak like it was White Pine. The guys house I was at had a Stihl (not sure what model so not sure if it was apps to apps, please...) even he was like, "What saw is that???"

Once the saw got fuel, it started on half of a pull of the cord. Runs great and the brake is well positioned to the hand. Easy to operate. The translucent fuel tank is nice. The choke and on/off switch are old school and not flashy, but work well. Truth, I used it for an hour. So I don't have a TRUE usage review so far. But initially this saw is the s%$t!!!

A few things I noticed right away, metal chain guard cover. Pretty big fuel tank. Decomp starting valve. Great handle. One hand filter removal. Kinda heavy.

KEEP IN MIND THAT I AM NOT A PROFESSIONAL FELLER OR ARBORIST. I AM AN AMATEUR, who heats with wood and uses his saw March through June. Be kind!.... The 24" bar is AMAZING!!!! I was blasting through some 20" stuff and the saw didn't bog at all. So again initially, this is the bomb!!! More to come once I use it more. I might have some negatives... But as far as a entry or mid level pro saw, this is worth a look and a buy.

In the box:
Echo 620P Power head
24" Echo precision Cutting bar
24" Chain
6 50:1 oil containers
Manuals and saw tool
Chain file
5 Year warranty card

Free Shipping, no tax. Total cost = 609.99$

The chain that came with the saw is:
http://www.oregonproducts.com/pro/products/chain/72_73_75LPXSuper70Chain.htm

IMG_2269_zpsz54hrmnf.jpg

IMG_2265_zpstbacasa7.jpg

IMG_2266_zpsaxjq02mm.jpg

IMG_2267_zpsxx2vsbol.jpg

IMG_2268_zps8f3qiycb.jpg

I just recently started using my 620p as well. Still breaking it in. It doesn't appear to be lean like others have warned. I'm actually surprised how well it runs straight out of the box.

I went to an Echo dealer today and bought another chain. The same chain that came with it.

Echo box with Oregon 72 LPX chain. I'm looking forward to getting some big oak and ash under its belt and see how it performs.

I would like a hard case for the saw.

I went to an Echo dealer today and bought another chain. The same chain that came with it.

Echo box with Oregon 72 LPX chain. I'm looking forward to getting some big oak and ash under its belt and see how it performs.

I would like a hard case for the saw.

Can't wait for your vid:).

P.s looking at your sig. I have the X 27. Worth every penny!! My 11 yo nephew splits all kind of rounds with it. He asked for one for his birthday?!

That's something to say there when an 11 year old nowadays asks for a splitting axe for his birthday. Don't see how it can get any better than that. Two thumbs up to the young man.

I prefer a bigger, heavier saw for bucking. It's a lot less work than trying to push a smaller saw through a cut, even with a good chain. I've been known to throw a 20" bar on my Dolmar 9010 and cut all day with it if I'm just bucking firewood. Just set the saw on it and let her run, no pushing the saw through the cut.
Think you made a good choice though, you get a good mid range saw with a mid weight. Hope you enjoy it.

Back