Looking for a new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abdiver

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I bought an ms250 about 5 yrs ago because it was about as heavy as I felt comfortable handle a round a tree or log. I used to be tough and strong, But I am now 74 and find I am loosing muscle mass and strenght, it’s the ****$ getting older! Most of the time I need to just cut down an 18” to 24” diameter pine. I lately end up using my little Echo CS 341 as my go to saw. But I don’t want to wear it out cutting bigger dia stuff. But it but starting the ms250 is a bear to start. I am looking for your advice as to a saw bigger that the Echo and about the same weight as the ms250 as my go to saw to cut down these 18” to 24” trees. Thanks

How about a Stihl MS261 with an 18 inch bar? Lightweight , quick , nimble and with an 18 you can still cut up 24 inch wood. When you get much bigger than that your getting into heavier saws. I run a 461 and a 261 and the 261 handles most of what I cut. I like the 461 but the 261 is a fine saw. The 362 is also a fine saw and runs great with a 20 inch bar , but the 462 has quite a bit more power with about the same weight. Just depends on how much money you want to spend. If weight is a concern get a lightweight bar they help when running a saw all day or if you don’t like the weight.

There are a number of good options of saw and things to reduce weight like light bars but to give the best advice you should tell us if you have a budget to spend and how much it is. 18"-20" pine is fair sized wood although being easy to cut.

Is your 250 comparable to today's 271 Farmboss? 50cc saw? If so, I agree with Justin above. A 261 is still a 50cc saw, but weighs 2lbs less than a 271. And you could even put a Stihl 20" light bar on it. Sorry to hear about your physical struggles. We're all in store for the same, we just haven't reached them yet.

Is your 250 comparable to today's 271 Farmboss? 50cc saw? If so, I agree with Justin above. A 261 is still a 50cc saw, but weighs 2lbs less than a 271. And you could even put a Stihl 20" light bar on it. Sorry to hear about your physical struggles. We're all in store for the same, we just haven't reached them yet.
And the 261 still has more power than the 290 which I believe is one of Stihls best selling saws going back to the 029 farm boss. I have a 029 Super dad bought new in ‘96 and still runs good. I don’t use it much though because the 261 does everything it will with less weight.

What do you think about a echo cs 341 ?? I am thinking something like that for cutting up 1" to 8 inch stuff on the ground, after I down a tree.

If a 250 is too heavy a 261 will be too. Consider an ms 180, far lighter and zippy. I have heard of older chaps that just love them because they are so light yet so capable. You’ll have to come from both sides with an ms 261 anyway, so may as well do it with a much lighter smaller saw that will still do the job. It has a 3/8th’s picco chain, it will make very short work of pine. I cut up 16” cherry with ease with one, pine isn’t going to cause you issues. Here is a video I found for you - not mine but it demonstrates the little saws capability. You can get the easy start option too.

I have owned all 3 saws, 180, 025 and 260.

He didn't say it was too heavy. He said it was a bear to start, that MS250 (and they are kind of a pita to start. Not enough rewind pulley leverage or something - a bad design imo). Otherwise an ok saw, as plastic saws go.
PS, you'll burn that little ms180 up continually "full-barring" it. You can tell that just by the labouring sound it's making in that vid. A chainsaw is not supposed to labour in the wood. Work, yes. Labour, no. There's a difference.

anywho,
Echo CS490, or more preferably cs501p

Dolmar/makita 421/4300; easiest starting saw made and feels about the same weight as the ms250 in the hands. With the LoPro chain, it will crush the ms250 and is way, way, way smoother. It will probably crush the ms250 with .325 chain too, but I don't know that for a fact.

the ms250 is a bear to start at times, is very buzzy, and cheaply built. Lots of saws in that weight/size are much better choices, Imo.

you need some power. Buy something zippy.

He didn't say it was too heavy. He said it was a bear to start, that MS250 (and they are kind of a pita to start. Not enough rewind pulley leverage or something - a bad design imo). Otherwise an ok saw, as plastic saws go.
PS, you'll burn that little ms180 up continually "full-barring" it. You can tell that just by the labouring sound it's making in that vid. A chainsaw is not supposed to labour in the wood. Work, yes. Labour, no. There's a difference.

anywho,
Echo CS490, or more preferably cs501p

Dolmar/makita 421/4300; easiest starting saw made and feels about the same weight as the ms250 in the hands. With the LoPro chain, it will crush the ms250 and is way, way, way smoother. It will probably crush the ms250 with .325 chain too, but I don't know that for a fact.

the ms250 is a bear to start at times, is very buzzy, and cheaply built. Lots of saws in that weight/size are much better choices, Imo.

you need some power. Buy something zippy.
Sorry my bad re weight!! Ha in that case get a 462 hehe

[B]abdiver[/B] - I agree with your assessment of getting old! I have quite a few saws - mostly Stihl - but for the past 6 or 7 years my "go to" saw for trail work has been a 260 pro, with a 20" bar. My "favorite" saw during these years has been my 046, but as you say, strength is an issue! Last July, for my 73 birthday, I bought myself a new 462CMR! I really enjoy running that saw - but for my 74th birthday in a couple weeks I'm upgrading the 260 to a new 261CM with the 20" light bar! BECAUSE we're getting old we NEED good tools!

I bought an ms250 about 5 yrs ago because it was about as heavy as I felt comfortable handle a round a tree or log. I used to be tough and strong, But I am now 74 and find I am loosing muscle mass and strenght, it’s the ****$ getting older! Most of the time I need to just cut down an 18” to 24” diameter pine. I lately end up using my little Echo CS 341 as my go to saw. But I don’t want to wear it out cutting bigger dia stuff. But it but starting the ms250 is a bear to start. I am looking for your advice as to a saw bigger that the Echo and about the same weight as the ms250 as my go to saw to cut down these 18” to 24” trees. Thanks
I do believe there is a easy start side cover for the ms 250 c that will bolt right onto the ms 250 if the only problem is starting the saw.

The EZ start will add weight to the 025. A 261 will serve you well. M-Tronic has improved greatly and it has a decomp button, so it’s an easy starter.

You‘ll love the weight. Rumor has it that Stihl is going to release a new ES Light bar in 16” to go with its new narrow kerf RS Pro chain-Stay tuned.

Thanks for the replies I have been gone for a while I broke out my Husky 394xp and have been using it instead of my MS250. Thanks again

Lol. Well damn, from a 250 to a 394!! I guess you must feeling pretty darn good to swing that thing around.

Back