Looking for a Sawmill Shed Design

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could build it twice as big as it is now, and it would end up being half as big as you need in the end. Story of every building i ever started on. Ken

No, no, no. You have it all wrong.
A shed can NEVER be big enough!
Murphy's second Law of Posessions clearly states (and has been proved on countless ocasions) that a person's posessions will acumulate so that they will fill 120% of the available space within a period of less than 12 (calendar) months.
Murphy's third law states that any item you need in a hurry will be found in the corner farthest away from the door and under at least 2 heavy objects that require at least 2 people to move them. As always, there will only be enough room for one person near the objects to be moved.
Murphy lives about 5 miles from me.

Actually, the current plan is to only build half of the shed. That 24 foot beam is really the middle. At some time in the future I will add two more columns and another 24 foot beam, move the Woodmizer onto the 12 foot wide concrete slab that is there and use this part for wood storage or who know's.

Well, that's the plan... so far :buttkick:

Ted

Beaudy!That's more like it!:clap:Then you can have an addition to the extention of the original shed. This is sounding more Australian as we go along. A bloke can never have a big enough shed.:wave:

Just added on a 15 wide x 40 long addition to my 34wide x 50 long shop. 2300 sq ft under roof and i am already trying to figure out how to add on . or do i need to build another building altogether?

Just added on a 15 wide x 40 long addition to my 34wide x 50 long shop. 2300 sq ft under roof and i am already trying to figure out how to add on . or do i need to build another building altogether?

What.... no pictures? :confused: If you don't add pictures then it's just :spam:

:blob2:

Ouch, I hate Spam. So heres your pic. I actually do have all the materials to put the sides on and the gables. Just gotta get time to do it.

I pushed the sod off a spot today, where i'm going to put up a roof over my sawmill... It won't go up fast, but at least i got a start on it!

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Next will be putting some sand down, to bring it up to the grade i want...

Rob

Rob,

Looks like your off to a good start.

What kind of base are you going to do, gravel or concrete? How big are ya going?

Keep the pics coming.

Ted

G'day Rob. Just fallen in love (lust, actually) with your tractor. What sort is it?
Dennis.

Next thing you know, that little dozer will be dragging logs to your mill. Can here the bells now.

Those are a handy size to have. I know a guy that has three and would not part with a one of them.

I thought it was a Case but we don't get to see too many small dozers around here, mainly we have the Fiat crawler agricultural tractors with 3 point linkage and sometimes a front blade.
Sexy might not be the right word to discribe that tractor. Attractive would be more like it. Anything that will move a heap of dirt like that definitely attracts me!
Dennis.

Rob,

Looks like your off to a good start.

What kind of base are you going to do, gravel or concrete? How big are ya going?

Keep the pics coming.

Ted

Hi Ted,

I'm going to pour concrete... and it's going to be 10' wide, 30' long. I'm pitching the roof all one way, so i can add another 10' later, pitched "the other way". That is "if" i decide i want to make it bigger?

The tractor is a Case 450, it's been a good tractor, i've done quite a bit of work with it here on my place, and also have taken a few jobs with it too...

standard.jpg

I've had bigger crawlers, but this one is just the right size for me, and is very handy to have around.

Rob

Hi Ted,

I'm going to pour concrete... and it's going to be 10' wide, 30' long. I'm pitching the roof all one way, so i can add another 10' later, pitched "the other way". That is "if" i decide i want to make it bigger?..... <snip>
Rob

I know exactly what you mean.

I'm figuring I'll be able to cut my own 24 foot beam later on when I decide "if" I want to expand the one I'm building.

Ted

Well, today i started digging sand with my loader tractor, moving it to my new build.

standard.jpg

I have my own sand pit, but the sand is "fine" sand, my friend up the road a ways, has "course" sand, and that's what you need under a slab...

standard.jpg

Once i had some sand hauled, i compacted it in, using the tractor tires for the "packing". I'll put water on it when i'm done, to settle the sand even more...

standard.jpg

Hopefully, i'll find some time S :) :) N to get the rest of the sand i need!!

Rob

OK guys, it's time to saw out some lumber to go over my "fancy new concrete", that's not poured yet. lol I even found myself a "helper", to make my day more productive than usual!

So, i got started by loading a really nice white pine, a friend gave me,

standard.jpg

Boy, this was a nice log, and i didn't need it as long as it was, so i chainsawed off the crooked end, and milled this log into 2x12's, as i need headers!

standard.jpg

Next log on the mill, was a soft maple,

standard.jpg

And this log became 2x6's for the rafters i'll need!

standard.jpg

With those two logs out of the way, it was time to get started on a pile of old red pine logs, that my neighbor gave me. These logs came out of a powerline, that the utility guys sawed out. So, i started loading them TWO at a time, and got to sawing,

standard.jpg

Some of them i milled into 5/4 x 4" lumber,

standard.jpg

And some of the better ones,

standard.jpg

I sawed into 2x6's,

standard.jpg

I split some of the logs, and then lay all the pieces on the bunks, to saw out, four 5/4 x 4" boards at a time,

standard.jpg

Until we FINALLY ended up with a nice pile of "construction" lumber,

standard.jpg

As i have time, i still will have to "saw out" more lumber, so stay tuned!

Rob

Looking god Rob.
I have not played with milling two logs at a time much because they tend to roll up in the middle on my mill, but you have a different dogging system. But when making stickers I can stack them 24 wide if I want to, but 10-15 is easier on the saw. You keep working away on getting that shed package cut out and in no time you will have a nice dry place to work.

Back