Looking for a STIHL oil seal puller

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodeneye

Hardwood Hunter
Reaction score
Howdy all,
Long time no see though I still been lurking. I’m really getting hot and heavy into repair and refurbishing saw. I’m looking for the official Stihl oil seal puller tool. If anyone has any leads, I’d be in your debt. My local stihl dealer just uses a drywall screw and won’t price me one. I know multiple ways to get them out, but would like to have the official tool or something darn close. Glad to be back and I’m looking foraward to all your replies. I have a MS660 to rebuild from the ground up, ms440, and an 026 in the shop now. Thanks for any input on this subject. If you have one or leads, let me know. Also general input is appreciated which is why I posted here. Many thanks and pull them cranks!
Jarod

I see those kits on Ebay from time to time.
I bought one of those seal puller kits with all the different sized jaws from Stihl years ago, but never had much luck with it.
I asked my area's Stihl distribution center service tech teacher why I couldn't get it to work. He said you have to knock the seal "in" slightly first.
Even with that tip, I still found that more often than not, it just boogered up the seal rather than pulling it (and the ensuing curse words to follow).Lol

I too use about four #6 × 3/4" sheetrock screws in unison to extract seals. The four screw working together provides enough force to dislodge even the most stubborn seal.

Here is an interesting thread:

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/cheap-macgyver-seal-puller.295406/

Howdy all,
Long time no see though I still been lurking. I’m really getting hot and heavy into repair and refurbishing saw. I’m looking for the official Stihl oil seal puller tool. If anyone has any leads, I’d be in your debt. My local stihl dealer just uses a drywall screw and won’t price me one. I know multiple ways to get them out, but would like to have the official tool or something darn close. Glad to be back and I’m looking foraward to all your replies. I have a MS660 to rebuild from the ground up, ms440, and an 026 in the shop now. Thanks for any input on this subject. If you have one or leads, let me know. Also general input is appreciated which is why I posted here. Many thanks and pull them cranks!
Jarod
Check the chainsaw trading post. bcorradi just posted some equipment for sale.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

The modified hook ground screwdriver still works the best of them all. A good tech will have the seal out before the designated Stihl puller could even be set up to pull a seal. That Stihl seal puller is a clumsy design to even get rigged and in place, it often fails to pull a seal even after many tries but the screwdriver will pop it every time.

I've experienced the opposite. The screwdriver/drywall screw never have worked well for me. I can pull a seal with the tool in a couple minutes with little frustration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ground a hook type end into a flat screwdriver that works like a traditional seal puller. It takes a bit to learn to use it right so you don't scuff the side of the seal housing but it works like a charm. I will have to try that other screwdriver modification with the socket slide hammer too.

Back