Looking for a string trimmer (Kombi?)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're trying to trim around your yard don't go bike handle. I don't care what anybody says, unless you love taking your sweet ass time weed whacking, there is no way anyone can match the productivity of a light weight d loop type string trimmer with bike handlebars. I can move super fast with a normal strimmer. I have an echo srm 230, stihl km 90 combo with a string trimmer attachment and an fs 450 clearing saw. The FS 450 is the bomb for actually clearing, but again bike bars for trimming around the yard are a joke. The stihl is heavy but has good torque. I like it. The echo has been drama free for a long time (going on 8 years i think) so I can't really complain about that. Echo doesn't really have power for dense stuff but for whipping around the yard it does the job pretty well.

i have a fs90 and it is a beast!!!! way more power and torque than the fs45 it replaced go for it u wont regret it:hmm3grin2orange:

I have 2 stihl trimmers. I have a FS 85 with a loop handle that I use for the lawn trimming. That trimmer has been used about an hour a week for the last 8-10 years without a problem. For lanwn type trimming, the loop handle is the way to go.

I bought a FS 250 with bike handles 2 years ago-that is primarily used on a 10 acre property I own with a chainsaw tooth blade for small saplings on the property line, a 3 blade head on briars, and a line head for cutting a 500' ditch that is too steep for mowing. It's a beast!

Will

I was talking ti grandpa today and we got talking about trimmers.

He made a comment that he is looking for a pole saw. The conversation then led
to the Kombi system.

He said he will buy the pole saw and extention for me, and maybe pitch in for the power head if I decide to go that route.

Now with that on the table.......

I would love the FS250, but it's more money than I can afford.

Is there any reason not to go with the Kombi system? Seeing grandpa will buy me the pole saw and extention along with the possibility of chipping in with the power head?

I have a Stihl fs250R that I have had for years. It, in my opinion, is the baddest weedeater on the planet for heavy growth. It does get heavy if you have extended trimming to do around the yard. Up until today, I thought it was the only real weedeater in existance. I went with my brother-in-law (commercial cutter) to mow a large property today and I did the trimming. My fs250 is in Masterminds shop getting tweaked right now so I used one of Walt's trimmers, a brand new trimmer he got last week. It was a Husqvarna 326. I could not believe the power to weight ratio of that trimmer. Less than 10 pounds, has a solid drive shaft, lightening fast acceleration. It was a blast to use. I walked away from the experience convinced that I was going to buy one of these trimmers immediately. My 250 isnt going anywhere, but it would be nice to have the lighter trimmer around our home. I would seriously take a look at the 323 or 326 Husky.

Got a couple 323 Husqvarnas we have beat the holy #### out of, and then paid heathens to beat the #### out of for a good 4 seasons now.

They don't have anywhere near the snot as the FS250, and are only about 3/4 as robust for taking down 3-4" trees, but as a trimmer and light brush(1" or so) weapon, they are excellent. Plenty of power to weight, and none of the 4 mix bastardized Neo-hippy hemaphroditic contrarian bull####. Ours have been used for running a heavy Windsor shredder blade in Blackberry brambles and dosn't complain or whimper but is a bit slow, and is where the FS250 takes over. For weed whacking and running a light blade, I really havn't run into anything, including the Stihl 90-130, that is equal or even close.

Dealer support is as important on brush cutters and weedwhackers as it is on saws IMO.
Shinny might make the best unit out there, but untill they actually have a dealer network, they are useless.Same thing with Redmax..I wish like hell Redmax had a dealer within 50 miles of here, as they have a couple gizmos I REALLY could use.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I was talking ti grandpa today and we got talking about trimmers.

He made a comment that he is looking for a pole saw. The conversation then led
to the Kombi system.

He said he will buy the pole saw and extention for me, and maybe pitch in for the power head if I decide to go that route.

Now with that on the table.......

I would love the FS250, but it's more money than I can afford.

Is there any reason not to go with the Kombi system? Seeing grandpa will buy me the pole saw and extention along with the possibility of chipping in with the power head?

When our dealer ordered our 250 he had to order 2.
The other one was still hanging in the shop not too long ago, and he told me he was itching to dump the thing.
I think I hollered at you about it last summer in the middle of harvest.
If it's still in the shop I'll holler.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

have a older Homelite, a small redmax and a fs110rx.

So far most have bashed the 4mix. You won't hear that from me. I love the lower vibes if I am running all day in whacking mode I prefer the 4mix as the vibes are so much more muted. The RX is not rated for the attachments(lightweight shaft) if I remember but I would suggest a fs110 any day.

and none of the 4 mix bastardized Neo-hippy hemaphroditic contrarian bull####

Now that is some funny ####!

I too have an fs250r and for weed eating it's way overkill, big smile on the face though, but for brush cutting with a blade it's just the thing. That said I have nothing against the 4-mixer's since I have a couple of pole saws with them and I like their easy to start, dependable, and quiet. I'd look at the 110 if I were getting a smaller trimmer since I've read that the fuel tank is the same size for the 110 and 130 and the 130 empties the tank a lot quicker. Thankfully the 250's have huge tanks, but frequent refilling would have me go with the 110 over the 130. My next choice would be a Shinny or a Husky 323/326 type. I'm personally not the biggest Echo fan but they do have a following.

When our dealer ordered our 250 he had to order 2.
The other one was still hanging in the shop not too long ago, and he told me he was itching to dump the thing.
I think I hollered at you about it last summer in the middle of harvest.
If it's still in the shop I'll holler.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Yea, you did holler at me about that one last year.

The price would have to go real low though, that is more scratch than I can muster up right now for a trimmer.

Although, I still can't get over the WOW factor of cutting 4" trees down with a weed wacker:hmm3grin2orange: that still amazes me.

I wouldn't go to big. It's just a waste of money in my opinion.

But the smile on ones face is unbelievable. :hmm3grin2orange:

I wouldn't go to big. It's just a waste of money in my opinion.

But the smile on ones face is unbelievable. :hmm3grin2orange:

Maybe I'm getting old, but running a trimmer has always been something that is a chore and not enjoyable. Faster I get it done the better.

I've had this RYOBI 2090R for many years. 22cc at 12 lbs., has done a decent job, but can be overwhelmed by thick weeds. Like me, it's getting pretty old, so - - -! I've been considering a Stihl FS56 C-E, but that FS250 you all are talking about sounds inviting, since I've now gone to using a saw blade to cut 2" sapling undergrowth too.
ryobiprofessional2090r0071.jpg

The D handles and a weak engine are fine for trimming grass around fences, walls etc - but imo pretty useless for large areas and bruchcutting. My 35cc FS200 (same power as the 250) suits me just fine, as a compromise between lines and blades.

I would'nt get any 4 stroke. We use fs-90 stihl at work maintaing gas well sites and I would'nt recommend them.

i think you'll be happy w/ any of the commercial line from the big 3 (stihl, husq, echo). dealer would be my deciding factor all other things considered...

I've had a KM110 system for about 5 years. For reference I'm a homeowner with a large property/farmette. I use it once or twice every week for 3 seasons, about an hour or two at a time. In all that time I've needed only one part, not counting the usual filters and spark plugs.

As a string trimmer it is pretty good, but only that. It is a bit heavy, as noted, and has more torque and less RPM than optimal. It can really jerk you around with all that torque if it picks up a rope!

I really shines as a hedge trimmer and pole pruner. I find the pole mounted trimmer to be super versatile around tall hedges. If I was Edward Scisssorshands, I'd want this hedge trimmer.

The pole pruner is awesome, especially with the extension.

It always starts and runs, that's why I love it. I can imagine a purpose-built tool might be better optimized, but it serves my needs well.

HF

Latest posts

Back