Looking for a string trimmer (Kombi?)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea, you did holler at me about that one last year.

The price would have to go real low though, that is more scratch than I can muster up right now for a trimmer.

Although, I still can't get over the WOW factor of cutting 4" trees down with a weed wacker:hmm3grin2orange: that still amazes me.

Price isn't too bad if he still has it.
Considering it will be the last weed whacker you ever NEED to buy.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I would'nt get any 4 stroke. We use fs-90 stihl at work maintaing gas well sites and I would'nt recommend them.

The Dealer I talked with said the same thing. So, beyond the FS56, which models revert back to the 2 stroke engines, or do they?

I think the next 2 stroke is the fs 250. I would go for a shindaiwa or echo.

The Dealer I talked with said the same thing. So, beyond the FS56, which models revert back to the 2 stroke engines, or do they?

funny,
one of the dealers I use said he sell a few fs90's a week and they don't come back for anything in particular other then Ham fisted operators. Same thing with the BR600's everyone love so little. Said early models had issues but pretty much got the bugs out.

Price isn't too bad if he still has it.
Considering it will be the last weed whacker you ever NEED to buy.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Did you check with your dealer by any chance?

I stopped in by mine today, I think I will chalk off the Kombi. He said they can't handle the "saw tooth brush blades"

He mentioned that if I will be doing any brush cutting at all he recommends the bike handle version... Now seeing about 90% of its use that I forsee is trimming around the fence, house, barns ext.... Then 5-10% will be brush and vine killing. Now, do I go with the bike handle version, or stick with the D-handle yet?

The FS250 is still a lot....

He said that the FS130 will do a good job. ???? So?????

Now is the FS90 and FS130 a 4-mix or 2-stroke?

I've had this RYOBI 2090R for many years. 22cc at 12 lbs., has done a decent job, but can be overwhelmed by thick weeds. Like me, it's getting pretty old, so - - -! I've been considering a Stihl FS56 C-E, but that FS250 you all are talking about sounds inviting, since I've now gone to using a saw blade to cut 2" sapling undergrowth too.
ryobiprofessional2090r0071.jpg

Dang, the fs 250 is only 13.4 pounds and 36-37ccs. Does that Ryobi have a solid drive or cable? If its cable thats why the high weeds get it (that and the 22cc). Ive also got a little John Deere 260G (I believe the same as a 2100 or 2200 Echo) that has cable drive. Thing will shake ya to death if the line is too long or the growth to thick. Ive had both types- will never have anything but solid drive shaft again.

Dang, the fs 250 is only 13.4 pounds and 36-37ccs. Does that Ryobi have a solid drive or cable? If its cable thats why the high weeds get it (that and the 22cc). Ive also got a little John Deere 260G (I believe the same as a 2100 or 2200 Echo) that has cable drive. Thing will shake ya to death if the line is too long or the growth to thick. Ive had both types- will never have anything but solid drive shaft again.

LoL ! Yep it's a cable drive, and it'll do the shakes like you say. Guess I need to find out what I've been missing all these years, and get an FS 250 ASAP.

I think the next 2 stroke is the fs 250. I would go for a shindaiwa or echo.

Why is that? I've never seen shindaiwa in this area. I have been in the echo shop looking at the chainsaws, but haven't considered their trimmers. So, what features are you favoring over the Stihl trimmers?

LoL ! Yep it's a cable drive, and it'll do the shakes like you say. Guess I need to find out what I've been missing all these years, and get an FS 250 ASAP.

I wonder if the "cable drive shakes" becomes a more prominant issue with age? I remember that John Deere was a smooth running machine when I first got it, but now, 16 years later it will shake ya to death when it gets in heavy growth. I have the 250, Ol' Randy has tweaked it for me, and Im looking forward to picking it up. That said, I am still gonna grab one of those Husky 323l's. 9.6 pounds 24cc and solid drive shaft. It is a cuttin s.o.b. Very impressed with the one I ran. And it can be had for under 3 bills if you know where to look.

And your reason is....???? Because they are allergic to gas wells ???

at least those of us in the 4-mix "like" group stated why ...

Can't keep them running, too slow, no power. We have used nothing but premium gas and stihl ultra hp oil mix. Couple fellas I work with have shindaiwa trimmers, not sure of the model but they're newer ones, anyhow there is no comparison in power, vibration and speed. We do over 100 sites monthly and they have to look like golf greens. In addition to maintaing production time is of the essence. Now I will say this about the stilh fs-90 they are durable well made machines, they just what don't work well for what we need.

Why is that? I've never seen shindaiwa in this area. I have been in the echo shop looking at the chainsaws, but haven't considered their trimmers. So, what features are you favoring over the Stihl trimmers?

First of all let me say that I've been a stihl fan for years, still am with saws. From the standpoint of what I need in a trimmer the echo,shindaiwa have it all ove the stihl, in every category.

As mentioned earlier I have a FS120, it is the predeceser of the 130. It is a very capable machine but it is not approved for circular saw blades. It has no problems with a 3 point blade. It cuts without any problem finger size brush. As mentioned before if you want something around your house a D handle straight shaft is your best choice. If you want something for your fence line a bike handle type is advised. Be prepared to pay a premium for Stihl. They aren't economy line. There are many alternatives.

Good luck,

Well I have the FS110R(D-loop handle), it is a great machine with plenty of power for trimming and edging. Sips the fuel, I can get 4-5 decent city lots edged on one tank. I have also used it to clear 4 ft grass and weeds from a few foreclosed homes. After buying it I picked up a job clearing said grasses, I went to the dealer to see about converting it to a bike handle, I could have just about bought another 110R for what it would have cost. That being said, if you are primarily edging and trimming I would stick with the D-handle, you can use a blade with it for occaisional work. The bike handle is great for larger clearing jobs but difficult to manuever for lawn edging.

40cc as I remember it, but it was the EPA substitute for the 35cc FS200, that has the same power output specs.

I assume Echo trimmers have low power output for their size, like their chainsaws....:msp_rolleyes:

The replacement for the FS200 is the 130 here - slightly more cc, less power :cry:

New is the FS240 - 38cc, quite a bit more weight (3 lbs +), and just slightly more power than the FS200/250 (.1 kW).

The replacement for the FS200 is the 130 here - slightly more cc, less power :cry:

New is the FS240 - 38cc, quite a bit more weight (3 lbs +), and just slightly more power than the FS200/250 (.1 kW).

Will be in town tomorrow. Gonna stop in at both echo and stihl to check and handle their trimmers, and harnesses. Weight is my concern at the moment, but considering the harness with bike handles, it may be irrelevant. We'll see.

The stihl km90

I think it's the km90. I have the one that is 4 stoke with he split shaft and d handle. Purchased it last year new. I also have the fs130 with bicycle handle with th fourstoke. Both awesome machines. The stihl fourstroke Combi machine has better than average torque for the given cc. That's what I sold buy if I were you. weight is not an issue.

I have the Kombi 90, I only use it around the house not professionally. I love it though. The trimmer, brush cutter, hedge trimmer and pole pruner work great. Could use a more powerful motor for the edger, rototiller and paddle broom though, but they still the job done.

Back from town. My goal was to compare all the trimmer brands with the Stihl 40.2cc engine, 13.9 lbs. total dry weight, and bicycle handle set-up of the FS 250.

My 1st stop was a Shindaiwa dealer. Their most popular commercial trimmer/brushcutter was a 23cc unit. Their largest unit on hand was a 28.9cc and it was heavy 15.7lbs. Primer Bulb was on the bottom of the unit, well out of harms way. The On-Off Switch and Trigger Safety assy is so-so. Good solid units.

The Echo dealer didn't have anything larger than the SRM-266U, a 25.4cc unit. The On-Off and trigger features were very similar to the Shindaiwa's, but a little sloppy in their actions. Primer Bulb was on the side of the engine.
Both Shindaiwa, and Echo's cables are exposed. A design feature that I noticed right off, as I'm always backing into brush, or crawling through barbwire fences with my trimmer. Although I've never got it hung, it keeps me cautious. The compatible SRM-410U 42.7cc, at 18.3 lbs. Trimmer lists for $579.

Last stop Stihl. She has several FS 250's ready to go. The On-Off and trigger features were similar in appearance as the other two, but very precise and smooth functions. The top of the engine, including the cable connections are covered. I like that. The Primer Bulb is located on the forward side of the engine. A feature that surprised me, but more convenient in after thought. Wasn't very fond of the weight and balance until the attendant brought out the harness and fitted it on me. Man that is a life saver. No weight to fight, just steer it. We discussed the two types of harnesses, and after I tried the standard one that comes with the unit, I will have no problems with it just as it is.

At the end of the day. They all were good looking units, some a little heavy, but with the bicycle handles and harness, they're great. For my personal use and experience on the ranch for yard, pasture fence, corrals, out buildings, and woodlot, I'm going with the hoss FS 250.

BTW SawTroll: They didn't have the new FS 240. :)

Back