Looking for a string trimmer (Kombi?)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Used the 225mm Stihl chisel tooth circular saw blade on a 550 today and it zoomed through 2-3" saplings/branches. The 550 works well with a triangle blade for mixed stuff, but this cut like a chain saw on thick stuff. The 550 is way to heavy for normal stuff that a smaller/lighter unit will do.
The 250 didn't work that well with a windsor 4 tooth.
The limit stops reduce the size blade that can be used to 200mm (8") for a 250 and 225mm (9") for the 550.

Look what followed me home...

aee845dc-0155-ffac.jpg

aee845dc-0165-0fff.jpg

All I can say is wow... You can see what I used to work with. Normally it takes me about 1 1/2 hours to trim with the old crapsman. Tonight it took me a measly 45 mins, and I spent a fair amount of time ####ing with the crappy harness to get it right. I say when I get in the groove I'll have it down to 20 mins.

I got the dealer to throw in a brush blade and he threw in a 6-pack of Stihl Ultra:). I didn't expect that with the deal I already got...

I only ran the string on it, I'll throw the brush blade on later this week, I have a bunch of brush to wage war on.

I have the Husky trio harness on order along with a handful of brush blades, pretty much every style you can imagine.

I have one complaint, and it's probably operator error. The handle bars keep twisting down. I go to wack the base to release more line and the handle bars twist forward, I reefed on that knob pretty hard, but it still does it. I'm guessing it's more operator error.

I was surprised how little fuel it consumed, I went through less than a tank.

It's to be determined if it gets muffler modded or left alone....

Good deal! I knew you would like it. I was blown away on how much I like to weed eat now! It doesn't seem to be the PITA it once was! Yeah I had a problem with mine when I'd hit it on the ground for more string. I wrenched mine down and don't hit as hard and I haven't had to fark with it. Did you get the easy loading string head?

Fast loading, I'm not sure, it's the head that came with it.

Yea, trimming is kind of fun...

I am thinking mowing will go quicker too, I won't be so fussy around trees and around stuff. I will quicker take the trimmer to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL!!
I see ya got the thing home and got to know the Stihl harness.:hmm3grin2orange:

Just go easy around the trees with that thing. You can literally ring a tree and kill it.

Crank down on the handlebar adjuster and quit smacking the ground like you're killin' Gophers!
The bump head works with a mild bump, and dosn't have to be treated like a Liberal to get it to work.

I didn't realize you were using a real "Weedeater" from 1981 previously....damn.
That must have sucked.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Dinger

I'll let you know how I like he trio harness. I was debating between that, or go all out and get the XT, but I figured nah, I'll go with the trio and give it a go.

No, that thing is about 8 years old, it's a craftsmen. The thing is a pile of ####, but it keeps going. I got it home and used it once and lost the foam thing that was supposed to be a air filter. It's whole life it ran with no filter.

It did a great job edging:hmm3grin2orange: put line in, tip it sideways and edge til you need more line. I ways ran the ####ty gas. If I run ethanol gas in my saws I don't use it if it's over a month old. The old stuff goes in the weed eater can:hmm3grin2orange: that damn thing runs off turpentine, it has been known to run off 2 year old gas. Usually takes a shot of either to get it running.

I think I will still pull it out to abuse it to see what it will take. The thing has stamped on the cylinder ,50 hours use only... It's got more than that I'm afraid:hmm3grin2orange:

Singer

I'm hoping it's the harness, but are you able to carry while using yours? Or maybe it's the way I carry. The trimmer rests right on my gun, not to comfortable.

I felt naked while trimming, something has to change there...

Congrats on the new FS 250. You must be a good customer to get the brushblade and 6pk of oil thrown in tooboot.
My handles are good and tight. I was thumping the strinnger pretty hard on the ground myself for the simple reason, I couldn't tell if it was feeding or not. I finally calmed down after awhile when I realized what dingeryote said. Be careful if you take the handlebar loose. It has springs in it. I took mine apart out of curiosity of how it can be turned in line with the shaft during storage.

Singer

I'm hoping it's the harness, but are you able to carry while using yours? Or maybe it's the way I carry. The trimmer rests right on my gun, not to comfortable.

Are you using the harness that came with the FS 250? I don't see any problems with it. The holder pad should lay against your side, and be adjusted to set 4" (or your hands width) below your hip bone. Also adjust the Ring on the Shaft so that the trimmer head balances just above the ground. Maybe higher if you're doing much walking on rough ground. When you put your brushblade on , balance it to carry high, like 8 inches off the ground.

Singer

Yep!
But I carry at 4:30ish and the harness pad sets at 2-3.
Still get aluminum ground into the the rear of the slide though, but it comes right off with some sand and a little oil...Tenifer.. resistent to everything but Blueberry goo.:msp_wink:

Re-adjust the harness to move the pivot point forward a smidge untill it clears.
It's a LOT easier with the Husky harness, than it is with the Stihl welfare harness.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Are you using the harness that came with the FS 250? I don't see any problems with it. The holder pad should lay against your side, and be adjusted to set 4" (or your hands width) below your hip bone. Also adjust the Ring on the Shaft so that the trimmer head balances just above the ground. Maybe higher if you're doing much walking on rough ground. When you put your brushblade on , balance it to carry high, like 8 inches off the ground.

Yep!
But I carry at 4:30ish and the harness pad sets at 2-3.
Still get aluminum ground into the the rear of the slide though, but it comes right off with some sand and a little oil...Tenifer.. resistent to everything but Blueberry goo.:msp_wink:

Re-adjust the harness to move the pivot point forward a smidge untill it clears.
It's a LOT easier with the Husky harness, than it is with the Stihl welfare harness.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Thanks guys, I'll do some adjusting.

Now my problem will be breaking it to the wife.....:msp_confused:

Maybe she won't notice:hmm3grin2orange:

Thanks guys, I'll do some adjusting.

Now my problem will be breaking it to the wife.....:msp_confused:

Maybe she won't notice:hmm3grin2orange:

Hopefully she'll be as understanding as my wife is about it. Of course, I've been fretting and complaining about my old Ryobi for a year now, and she's watched me in some tuff situations, so when she saw the grin on my face after using the FS 250 she was a happy camper.:rock:

Latest posts

Back