looking for a wood stove for a basement

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteMike

ArboristSite Member
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
moving into a house thats 1000 sq ft built in the 50s with poor insulation. theres a wood stove hookup in the basement. i cant move it upstairs thats my only option. ill probably cut some holes in the floors for more ventilation to get the heat upstairs. looking for ideas on a stove that will keep this entire hosue warm from the basement.

I have a wood stove in the basement, no place for a stove upstairs. Stove is located in the center of basement, and I put a vent in the floor above it. Problem with just a vent is if the stove smokes when you open the door, that smoke goes straight into the living space. It does a good job of heating the house, but it likes to be fed. I have been considering replacing it with a wood furnace that can be tied into the existing duck work. I think the heating would be more evenly distributed thru the rooms than just the radiant heat from my current stove.

I have a England 28 3500 wood furnace in my basement. No need to cut vents in the floor for it to hear your house, probably made thre homes owner mad andy way.

It keeps the basement about 78 to 79F and up stairs at a comfy 75F on the coldest days of winter.

794909504003.jpg

I bought mine at Home Depot as they delivered to my house for free, the england dealer in town wanted 300.00 just to deliver and 25 to load it on my trailer.
Lowes also sells then as a summer heat brand name and different color.

As you can see there is a 10" stub where you cvan hook to duct work and a blower to push the heat. I think I may have used the blower a couple of times in 3 years.

:D al

I would put an Englander nc30 down there. No need for floor holes. I prefer temps around 77* in the winter, but when I burn the downstairs stove, I can tolerate temps around 72*. Something to be said for radiant floor heat.

A lot of "bang for your buck" with the nc30

moving into a house thats 1000 sq ft built in the 50s with poor insulation. theres a wood stove hookup in the basement. i cant move it upstairs thats my only option. ill probably cut some holes in the floors for more ventilation to get the heat upstairs. looking for ideas on a stove that will keep this entire hosue warm from the basement.
A cold air return located at the end of the hall way or away from the stove will help. I also have duct work on top of my 55 gal barrel stove that goes to a cast iron floor grate in the living room.

I have no knowledge regarding your bylaws re heating equipment but if you are allowed single skin none enclosed flue pipe the flue passing through the room will give off good amounts of heat Again in France you can buy a radiator type Gismo looks like the old fashioned rads used in schools etc to fit in the flue at floor level in the storey next above all this is dependent on safety regs in force in your area

Back