Looking for Central PA Firewood!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott76

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for firewood in central PA, Mechanicsburg area. I have a trailer that will cut and pickup OR would like a tri-axle of logs dropped off at the house. I would like to get it now before it gets to hot out.

Called around and they don't start cutting until August. I want it now.

Wood Quotes.

I have been calling around and got some quotes. I have been traveling to Lewistown area (hometown) to pick up a EZ-Dump Trailer (5'x8'x27" = ~1/2 cord) of VERY heavy and large pieces of red oak slab for $15 or a load of cut / split red oak, poplar, walnut, white oak for $40. The Amish are hard workers and great people to deal with.

I got quotes for a tri-axle of mix logs in Mechanicsburg area from $550 to $575. I still have people that are to call me back with quotes.

How many cords are in a tri-axle?

Tell me what you think of these prices? Good / Bad?

Bed sizes on tri-axles will vary, but I believe most are rated for 25 tons. Still, I would guess that it's a lot of wood, and that's a good price for this area.

Lewistown is 45 minutes north and quite a drive for 1/2 cord at a time, unless you're already making the trip and perhaps hauling something up that way.

There is all kinds of land clearing and ROW work up your way. I'd maybe put the word out to friends and co-workers that you're looking for wood and see what happens. I'm down near Lewisberry and have cut up four cords of mixed hardwoods just in April working a day here and there. Plus I have at least three big jobs pending. I have never paid for wood in seven years of woodticking.

I'm happy. I just bought a Stihl 026. Its my first saw. I wanted one of my grandfathers, but he just laughs. He'll never let them go. I bought it off Ebay, but turns out that he's a family friend. Its a long story but I know I can trust his work and if I have problems I can always take it back to him. Thats why I paid a little more than what I wanted.

I had to buy something. I have a friend who's parents are logging their land and told me that all the tops are mine for the taking. Plus Like I said I want to order a tri-axle of pole logs.

Once I get the tri-axle I'm going to have a wood cutting party weekend. My sister is going to bring her log splitter. If anyone is in the area and want to have some fun and join in.

I'm going to try to attach some pictures of the saw. Its my first time doing this.

That's a sweet looking saw with a good bar. It looks like 3/8" chain, which some might say is a bit much for an 026; but as long as you keep it sharp you should be fine. Make sure to buy some extra loops to have on hand.

If you haven't done so already, buy some safety gear: chaps, ear protection or a helmet system, two or three wedges, and consider getting a cant hook for rolling logs.

Keep them chips flyin!

Latest posts

Back