• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy Looking for do all farm saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan Workman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am new to this industry i am a harry home owner type.. I am looking for a saw for around 5-600 that will last, so dont want homeowner line of saws. I am cutting hard woods like oak, walnut, birch etc.. many are over 30". I am not gonna be working 12 days 7 days a week so weight isnt that big of deal for me. I am 6' 225 average and fairly fit... so i can handle a bit of weight.. been carrying heavy rucksacks all over afghanistan is it is no biggie for me.

any way was think of a husky 555 but i see a 044 and a 575 xp on the used boards.. what do you guys think?

thanks in advance

If you're regularly cutting hardwoods over 30", I think the 555 is probably a little small. An 044 is a great saw, strong in a light, compact package. I haven't run a 575 but it looks like it's almost 2 pounds heavier.

The 390xp is a good saw and there are a few for sale here too, many aftermarket parts available... The 044 has rave reviews but I've never actually ran one.

Used Stihl 066 or 660 with dual port muffler will do just fine and cut well in 30" wood, , and its very durable, but in good condition will be right at your top price you want to spend, stihl 044 10mm or Husqvarna 365/372 will be great too, just a little slower, but a popular saw that everyone needs to try at one time in their life, and hold their value. I have all these choices that I could sell if you were interested, but I don't have them posted since they are ones I usually hold onto. If you have carpal tunnel syndrome or sensitive to vibes, go with the Husky.

Stihl MS 461 (or other pro 70-80cc) if you are cutting bigger stuff frequently.
Consider a Stihl MS362CM (or other pro 60-70 cc) if you are cutting smaller more frequently, or really want a "do it all" type saw.

Ok i'm the oddball.try out the echo cs620p.;)
Actually, I'm not against any specific brand. I just mentioned Stihl, because that's what I'm familiar with. In general, I think there are many brands that make reliable saws for those of us who aren't running them everyday for a living.

So far so good the echos are just as reliable as stihl.search the site for the cs600 and 620.actually in the chainsaw section there are some up to date posts.

You guys are forgetting limbing everything under 30". Even i wouldn't want to swing a 70-90cc saw all day limbing trees with 12"-16" limbs.even with a 30" log a 16" bar will do what needs to be done in 2 cuts.
I'm sure if Gray's part of the contry is like the rest of the east coast a sub 70cc saw with a 20"-24" bar will do everything he needs.

I would rather hold a bigger saw a shorter amount of time. But to each his own. And when I am in the woods I have usually have a pair of saws. One for BIG stuff and one for the rest.
I'm a pretty good sized feller 6'5" and 260lbs and don't care to carry the weight either but on a farm you want to go sub 70cc for farm work.i use the 90+cc saws for big oak and to hand to to the scrawny school kids who want to start logging and tell them to start it.they hand them back and say nevermind.
For farm work the more weight you carry during the day means the less you get done before or even after dark.the more tired you are after 9pm means your not going to feel like chasing loose cattle after midnite.
Just saying i grew up on a farm.A 028,mac 10-10 and a pm700 done what we needed to do for years.all heavier saws but sub 70cc and we didn't have to have a 090 stihl to cut up 30" trees.

Look I am not going to argue with you over this. That is why I said to each his own. I do like the part in your reply about the scrawny school kids. In the end he has to find a saw he likes.

A strong 60cc saw with a 20" bar will do most everything you need. Might be slower in the big wood but will be much easier on your body in the long run. Buying new take a look at echo 620, jonsered 2260, husky 562, dolmar 6100/6400, stihl 362. Those are all in your stated budget and will handle a 20" bar nicely with occasional use of a 24" bar.

If your looking at used buy the biggest/nicest saw that $450 will buy(70cc+). Take the rest of your budget and buy a 40cc saw to limb with.

There is my 2 cents for what it's worth

Hey guys,

I am new to this industry i am a harry home owner type.. I am looking for a saw for around 5-600 that will last, so dont want homeowner line of saws. I am cutting hard woods like oak, walnut, birch etc.. many are over 30". I am not gonna be working 12 days 7 days a week so weight isnt that big of deal for me. I am 6' 225 average and fairly fit... so i can handle a bit of weight.. been carrying heavy rucksacks all over afghanistan is it is no biggie for me.

any way was think of a husky 555 but i see a 044 and a 575 xp on the used boards.. what do you guys think?

thanks in advance

You guys are all totally wrong- all he really needs is a descent bow saw and ax!

Hey Ryan, Seriously though- I'm also in MD too and I'd be happy to help you pick a saw that will work for you. I have a bunch of saws that pretty much run the whole size range (they are not for sale) but you can check them out and see what they can do/ what the weight and power differences are all about. I just yesterday sold a pristine 56cc 029 Super (now called the MS290) which, from what many dealers have told me, is still to-this-day Stihl’s number one selling saw overall. Realistically, you are probably going to need a couple of different size saws. 30-40cc saws a good for limbs, 50-60cc saws are good overall do it all saws, but you are also going to need a 70cc saw if you are cutting much over 24-28” on a regular basis. Send me a PM (private message) with your contact info if you are interested in some help/ getting together.
Good luck, Scott

I'm with jug head. You need two saws.

Even though you'll occasionally cut 30" trees, many other with be under that, then there's the limbing part.

If the weight don't bother you much, I'm gonna go classic on you.

Get yourself a clean 028 Super and a 038 Magnum. You'll be done for life. Both totally overbuilt and reliable.

By best pal, who's 6'6" and 280 cuts everything in his landscaping business, with an 025 and an 038Mag.

Latest posts

Back