Looking for help identifying an old chipper I purchased

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travomatic

Reaction score
Hey y’all, I recently purchased an older drum style chipper, which had been sitting out In a field for several years. This chipper is a big deal for me, and my very small business. I tracked down the owner of the property it was sitting on, and we worked out a deal, and I am now able to call it my own. Anyways after about a week of working on it, I got it running, and it runs pretty decently now.

The reason for this post, is that I have not a clue as to what the make, model, or anything like that is! All that I was told was that the motor is a Jeep Willy’s, and that’s about it... I’ve scoured google and found nothing anywhere mentioning a chipper with a Jeep willys motor. I have found a few pics of various chippers that look very similar, made by Altec, woodchuck, asplundh, Vermeer, etc, but none that were an exact match. I’ll attach a few pics of mine, and maybe some of y’all can offer some information that might be useful to me! Thanks very much I most definitely appreciate it very much!741DAE28-B284-4153-B152-1241ABDAE2BA.jpegCC806FE4-F020-4EB4-ABFF-0CA8A6044DBA.jpegA80B1394-5071-4615-BE2F-325D98B87284.jpeg3355259B-7BA8-4A19-B942-474CA012B48C.jpegE1F4930D-D71F-410E-8311-8D5FE964F59F.jpeg49A74D9F-77FB-475B-8F4B-86E6DD08C022.jpegFCD6D69C-C84E-47D9-A520-4F445396BE45.jpeg

Apart from the engine and clutch area, most of the working body parts look quite similar to my Woodchuck 12, which is now serviced by Altec if you need parts. Mine, I believe, is a '97 model. Have you examined the knives?

And mine's a diesel, so there'd be no similarity possible there. Like you said, a lot of makes and models are vaguely similar. First I've heard of Willys powered. Usually it's a Ford 6 cyl.

Apart from the engine and clutch area, most of the working body parts look quite similar to my Woodchuck 12, which is now serviced by Altec if you need parts. Mine, I believe, is a '97 model. Have you examined the knives?

And mine's a diesel, so there'd be no similarity possible there. Like you said, a lot of makes and models are vaguely similar. First I've heard of Willys powered. Usually it's a Ford 6 cyl.
I have not actually got in there and looked closely at the knives, is there anything in particular I should look for?

You want them sharp, of course. Just like a saw, with a certain edge you'd think they might work, but they need to be super sharp. Then the gap between the knives and the anvil should be real thin for best results, no more than the thickness of a dime. And the anvil should be squared on its edge. Once the edge of the anvil gets rounded, material squeezes by instead of getting chipped.

You want them sharp, of course. Just like a saw, with a certain edge you'd think they might work, but they need to be super sharp. Then the gap between the knives and the anvil should be real thin for best results, no more than the thickness of a dime. And the anvil should be squared on its edge. Once the edge of the anvil gets rounded, material squeezes by instead of getting chipped.

I will definitely have to check them out, because I have been having some trouble with oak branches sort of slipping right through and I’m getting twigs and sticks rather than chips come out the other end. Sounds like probably the anvil is the problem then.

Back