Looking for info on log splitters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAXJEREMY

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Tired of my manual log splitter, it's ok for splitting a few logs but anyone that's used one knows they're slow and splitting an 18 inch round of oak is just torture...Anyway, I'm looking for an economical gas powered log splitter, don't need anything high end as it's only going to see casual use. I've seen a few sites that have plans online and have been tempted to build one myself. If anyone has done that and is happy with the outcome I love to hear about it or if you have a particular kind you'd recommend let me know. Thanks.

First question to ask yourself is how many free or nearly free components can you come up with and do you have the welder and metal cutting tools needed for the build. If you purchase all new components you can expect to spend over $1,000.00. Basic 20 ton rated log splitters can be found on sale for $700.00 - $1,000.00 .

Well, with "casual use" and "nothing high end", then any old splitter will do. You can find perfectly good splitters at Home Depot and Lowes that will suit your needs perfectly. Make sure you get a 2-stage pump. That means that with low load, the piston extends quickly until the ram engages the wood and the load is high, then the pump automatically switches to 'low gear' to push through the wood. A single-stage pump goes slow ALL the time.

Don't bother building one. It costs SOO much more, and you likely won't be happy with the results, especially for a casual splitter. Save your time and money and buy new.

Avoid used, unless you know what to look for in engines and hydraulics and can spot problems and know how to tinker with it all.

My own personal recommendation is a SuperSplit. It's more high-end, but I split about 10 cords a year, which might be considered 'casual' by some. Instead of the 12-second cycle time of most hydraulic splitters, this has a 2-second cycle time. Much faster and uses less fuel. Don't bother trying to find one used - these things are rarely available that way! The owners tend to really hang on to them.

Thanks guys. Appreciate the information. I did some checking around and you're right, unless I had most of the parts to assemble my own, which I don't, it would be more hassle than it's worth..I'm pretty good at tinkering with stuff, so I'd consider a used one, but they're hard to find down here..I've been looking at the one from harbor freight.. Harbor Freight 20 ton splitter. At $850 it seems reasonably priced and it had good reviews..

@unclemoustache, thanks for the info about the 2 stage pump, I was not aware..The supersplit sounds nice, but it's way more than I'll need from a splitter.

Thanks again.

Also found this small splitter..It might be good enough to suit my needs..

Champion log splitter
I wouldn't go with the Harbor Freight or the 7 ton if it were me. I'd go bigger than 7 ton, and while HF engines get good reviews I'd be leary of the balance of the package.
Don't know about Florida, but around here Tractor Supply and the other farm type stores run some pretty good sales in the fall. Maybe Northern Tool if you've got one close.
I built my own 25 years ago but it was a time when there weren't many being sold. I had the cylinder and running gear from an old trailer and found some scrap yard steel at a good price. Fun project but not sure I'd go that way today.
Personal preference but I like a horizontal beam machine. The verticals never made much sense to me.

Hard to avoid chicom stuff- I would not bother with the HF unit ( bought that cool aid 20 years ago) Box store units are all chicom made regardless of name. That said most preform pretty well. Box store units - no help if problems arise as they farm out any service - can of worms. Ram splitters- of Rockford Ill is another name to look at. There are others all over the states. The base 20 ton units what ever brand will get 98% of anything you throw at it done. As far as those little units 4-7 ton painfully slow and I am not sure they even make 4 tons. Most of those are electric motor and I would hazard a guess that most people do not use correctly sized outlets and extension cords which burn out the motor by starving them of required amps/volts due to line loss. Nothing wrong with electric power to drive the hydraulic pump industry has been doing it that way for eons. Almost all single cylinder small gas engines are of Chicom mfg now days - even the old standby industry names.

Back