Looking for opinions on an 066

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvloudsawz

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I picked an old flat top 066. It runs. It appears all OEM. It's an oldie. Serial numbers start with 11843XXXXX. It's been used, but not abused. Plastics have lost some color, metal cyl cover badge is missing, starter cover badge is worn silver. 3/4 wrap, small clutch cover with the riveted chip skirt flapper. Made a few cuts with it. What would you do with it? ( I Picked it up for 150$ BTW - no ****) I think I would like to put new cylinder and piston on it, new OEM full skirt Clutch Cover, new badges... Big Bore 56mm? Or replace just the piston with OEM. OEM cylinders are EXPENSIVE!!! and can only find through Bailey's. Dual Port Muffler? I have a 660 which I mill with, it's all stock. This 066 feels faster to me - and lighter. But I wouldn't want to mill with it's unknown history of the current jug and piston. I do trees and firewood as well, so it'll see some action besides Alaskan milling the good wood I bring home. Eventually I will sell it, more than likely, like I do most other saws as I have to 'keep it fresh', if that makes sense.

Part of me thinks it would be blasphemous to put a big bore Meteor kit on, Maxflow, Dual Port Muffler. But part of me wants to make it a BEAST, beyond what it already is. Bailey's has an sweet Fullwrap kit too for this saw at 170$. Do a complete rebuild? New bearings, have the halves powder-coated. I'm torn between my options.

I will gladly listen to and ponder all suggestions, if you have them! Thanks so Much!

Attachments

• 0662.jpg
    0662.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 0661.jpg
    0661.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 26
That is exactly what I thought! But when I called Stihl and we went through all the part numbers, dude told me, for sure, I have an 066

Total rebuild bearings seals fuel line impulse intake muff mod new oem cyl and piston wrist pin bearing rebuild carb advance timing send too a saw porter mastermind , rattler , treemonkey they all port rebuild saws

Some take awhile because they are very busy

You may want to powder cases recoil clutch cover filter base and muff ( hitemp powder)

When down youll have a rebuilt ported monster saw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kenton! SO lesson learned: I will not trust Stihl Techs anymore... I just pulled the muffler and popsicle stick method measured... 52mm. You are right sir! But the question still stands: What would you do with it?

Personally... what I did lol.

Total tear down new bearings and rubber
Find a KS non decomp 066 cylinder
Trim the holes in cylinder to align up to case holes and put a new piston in it. oEM only if you want longevity.

Or. Easy mod... put a MMWS 54mm cross performance top end on it. Comes with Cabers and I’ve had great luck with the 8-10 of I’ve used in the last few years.

I just rebuilt a 064 same as yours
d358541561d52c6651f85a6cd2cf5458.jpg
d358541561d52c6651f85a6cd2cf5458.jpg[/IMG]
64f66c4df7c5706e1b50dcf6d49f6c12.jpg
a848c6f585a3681fd949d8a04738b69e.jpg

Personally... what I did lol.

Total tear down new bearings and rubber
Find a KS non decomp 066 cylinder
Trim the holes in cylinder to align up to case holes and put a new piston in it. oEM only if you want longevity.

Or. Easy mod... put a MMWS 54mm cross performance top end on it. Comes with Cabers and I’ve had great luck with the 8-10 of I’ve used in the last few years.

The cross 064 cyl and 066 cyl need bases trued and squish cut and use a meteor piston

Years ago, I heard that the OEM wrist pims between 066 and 064 were different? Maybe it was crank shaft and I got that mixed up. But did thknk the pins were different sizes

660 and 066/064 cranks are different 660 have a bigger flywheel taper

Latest posts

Back