looking for parts for pro mac 800 series.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newlogger

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hi ! I'm looking for piston and cylinder for pro mac 800, let me know if anybody has them. Thanks

Also I would like to know what is the difference between Sp80, Sp81, promac 800, 805 and 850.

the only the difference I can tell is that older model use point ignition and new one got electric ignition, then decomp button location is different. That's pretty much about it.

Welcome to the site. A friend of mine here Eccentric is a Mac expert, Randy mac is pretty good too. They will be along shortly. Norm............

Not sure about the expert part. I know just about enough to get myself in trouble. Stinkbait is probably the resident 82cc Mac expert. I know the SP-80/81/81E saws better than the later PM's and DE's. Will go into it more later when I'm not on my damn smartphone. By then, I'll bet somebody far more knowledgeable about these saws will step in. At least I bumped it up! RandyMac has logged many many hours running these saws on the job.

I'm no expert by any means. I have built a nice SP81 and PM800 though. I have only discovered two major differences between the three 81 engines and the pm800 engine. My pm800 has the Q port exhaust, which takes the place of the decomp. The biggest difference I found while building the pm800 was that the pm 800 crankshaft is shorter on the flywheel side. The posts used for mounting the coil are also shorter. I would have never known this if I hadn't put the wrong crankshaft in the pm800 by accident. I had an 81 broke down on the bench at the same time I was building the pm800 and got the cranks mixed up. The shaft in the starter assembly is also longer on the pm800 to make up for the shortness of the crank.

The 80/81s had the piecemeal AV, lots of little bits, just above cobbled up, like a CP125. The 850 was a transition model and can be found with an 800 style motor. The first 850 motor has the more integrated AV, EI, decomp on the head, a square muffler and maybe a couple more beans than the 80/81s. The 800 motor can be found with or without a decomp, it has the "Q" port and 2.5 pounds of muffler. I know all this from having 9 different 82cc McCullochs, from the first PM80 to the last of the PM800s. All things considered, an early 850 is probably the best.

Here's my SP-81...

100_3755.jpg

100_3754.jpg

100_3753.jpg

now, why 81 series are better than 800 series ?

I wouldn't say they're "better"...........other than not having the HEAVY later style mufflers and muffler-guard type chainbrake equipped clutch covers. I prefer the "looks" of the earlier saws in the series. In my own personal, non-practical opinion, they got progressively more homely as the series evolved. The Double Eagle 80 saws are quite bulbous and ungainly looking to my eye. Again.................just personal opinion...

The 80/81s had the piecemeal AV, lots of little bits, just above cobbled up, like a CP125. The 850 was a transition model and can be found with an 800 style motor. The first 850 motor has the more integrated AV, EI, decomp on the head, a square muffler and maybe a couple more beans than the 80/81s. The 800 motor can be found with or without a decomp, it has the "Q" port and 2.5 pounds of muffler. I know all this from having 9 different 82cc McCullochs, from the first PM80 to the last of the PM800s. All things considered, an early 850 is probably the best.

When I built my pm800, I threw away my 2.5 pound muffler and put a 81 muffler on it.

I believe the early 850s and 81s shared the same cylinder, crank and piston. The 800s, 805s and 850 Super share the piston with the earlier saws but have a wider (deeper) finned flywheel for better cooling. Now whether the better cooling was needed due to replacing the lower cowling of the older styles with the top of the new flat muffler or was needed anyway, I don't know. I was attempting to built a Frankensaw using the SP80/81 styled handle brace and muffler only to discover that the new style cylinder does not have bosses for some of the necessary screws for the lower cowling. I haven't given up yet. Personally I think the 80/81s are the best looking. I have also seen a lot of bent handle braces on the 850s and newer saws and have yet to see a broken 80/81 brace although I am sure there are some out there. Ron

I kinda like the skid plate on the 850 and newer saws, I didn't do any bending. Of the 80/81s I have, most have damage underneath and that alloy part at the bottom of the front handle seems to take a beating. The 80/81 sit lower, but the 850 powerhead is the same size. That big airbox cover on the 800s cuts the induction noise, it might also be restrictive.

Randy, I can't help but wonder if all that plastic duct work in the 800 AF cover was just a marketing gimmick, kind of like the fake hood scoops on some cars - I don't recall reading any claim that it increased performance. As to the handles the skid plate is nice to put your boot in. I think they get bent up when you get a top pinch and the saw comes back into something or hits the ground. Some of the late models actually had an additional skid plate. I don't know whether this was to stiffen them up a little or to provide insulation from the heat of that ridiculous muffler. I mainly just like the looks of the older style. Ron

I wouldn't say they're "better"...........other than not having the HEAVY later style mufflers and muffler-guard type chainbrake equipped clutch covers. I prefer the "looks" of the earlier saws in the series. In my own personal, non-practical opinion, they got progressively more homely as the series evolved. The Double Eagle 80 saws are quite bulbous and ungainly looking to my eye. Again.................just personal opinion...

I agree about the full length chain/muffler cover, I gave my SP 81 a small makeover I swapped the cover for a SP 70 one.

rhMedium-36.jpg

PICT0028Medium.jpg

re

well, I thought the difference is either point or electric ignition, and some cosmetic deals, but sounds like they are little bit different here and there, anyway, I have broken Pm800, looks like someone put straight gas, and seized up.

So I'm looking for cylinder and piston. if anyone can help me about that, please let me know.

Thanks

Told you they would be along. Aaron was that a piece of dog hair on the sp-81 LOL!

There's still some dog hair hidden under the fuel tank, and in the hard to reach (without disassembly) areas of the bottom chassis plate. Those dogs must ride in the back of the truck with the saws. I plan to dig deep into John's 750 Homelite this weekend. I'll be sure to save a wad of oily/pitchy dog hair for you...:D

well, I thought the difference is either point or electric ignition, and some cosmetic deals, but sounds like they are little bit different here and there, anyway, I have broken Pm800, looks like someone put straight gas, and seized up.

So I'm looking for cylinder and piston. if anyone can help me about that, please let me know.

Thanks

Keep an eye on ebay for a cylinder and piston. Be careful that you get a matched set. Watch the part numbers. Also, there were "A", "B", and "C" piston/cylinder sets. Gotta keep 'em matched. I have an NOS matched set that will stay put aside to keep my SP-81 alive. Got 'em in a trade deal. My saw has some light scoring already, and I want to keep this saw in business for a LONG time.

There was an SP-81 and an SP-81E. The "E" was the electronic ignition version. All the saws in this series after the non-E SP-81 had electronic ignitions.

Last edited:
Love that pic Randy!

Just took a look at my NOS SP-81 piston/rings, cylinder/oil tank, and related bits. Seems I have a 'C' piston (92520) and an 'A' cylinder. Gotta get back to the fellow who sent 'em to me. Either he has an 'A' piston (92518) that I can swap this 'C' piston for..............or I'll just get an 'A' piston offa ebay and hang onto the 'C' piston to trade, sell it off, or use in another saw. Not too worried, as I don't need the stuff right away. Hopefully the engine in my SP-81 will last a while yet. For now, this NOS jug will go on a shelf next to my NOS McCulloch 795/895 cylinder.:D

Interesting thing is that the cylinder/oil tank came with a new manual oil pump and a bunch of other bits that must be used with this 'kit' (according to the paperwork that came with it). The 'kit' is labled as being useable on an SP-81, SP-81E, or PM850. No mention of the earlier SP-80, or the later PM805 and PM800 (or the DE-80's). I'll scan and post the paperwork when I figure out how.

Last edited:
I agree about the full length chain/muffler cover, I gave my SP 81 a small makeover I swapped the cover for a SP 70 one.

rhMedium-36.jpg

PICT0028Medium.jpg

Your saw looks more like a PM850 as it has the 850 handle brace Randy and I were discussing and the clutch cover is an 850 version. A SP81 had the same style clutch cover as the SP70 and has the same handle brace as well. Eccentric's photos show the correct handle brace for an 81. So many parts interchange on these MACs, you don't really know what you have unless you bought it new. 81 or 850, they are all great saws. Ron

This is cool. I'm learning a lot about this saw series. I also have that same early chainbrake type clutch cover assembly. Wes sent it to me a while ago when I was looking for chainbrake parts for my PM10-10. I ended up getting a complete, correct muffler cover type clutch cover/chainbrake for the PM10-10 from another member, and sent that with the PM10-10 when I traded it away. I'm saving that early CB type clutch cover for the SP-81 in case I have to cut somewhere where the property owner's insurance requires saws with CB's. My PM700 is my other larger saw with a CB on it, so those would be the two saws I'd take. I cut a lot of "free" CL windfalls for firewood, and have had to sign waivers and follow 'rules' a few times.....

Back