LOOKING FOR PICS OF TRAILER MOUNTED CRANES

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea, turned out the ad was real, but a mistake. I tried to order and they had changed the ad. I should have ordered when I first seen it instead of waiting a day or two. Dont know they would have honored the ad, but it sure would have made them squirm, or they would have sent me a bill for the $500+ current price.

I am thinking about trying one of the badland winchs from Harbor freight. Just waiting for them to go on sale again. They are swear by them, or swear at them, winchs. Either you get a good one, or you dont. HF stands behind them and will replace or refund so its kinda worth the risk, I think.

Buy the 3500 lb winch or bigger. 2500 is junk. Trust me

Got a little work did to the boom. boom build.jpeg Cut a plate to weld boom mounts to. I then bored the center on the lathe to fit over the hub and drilled the lug pattern and bolted it to the hub using the old lugs. I will round the corners of the plate and then weld the uprights for the boom and the legs for the lift cyl next. I got to buy a piece of tube to make the boom with. I will mount the winch to the boom and I need to make some sort of sheeve to use as a roller for the cable. I am trying to figure out someway to attach a steering arm to the end of the axle so I can use hyds to turn the boom. I want to attach two cyl at the bottom of the boom to give me 180* of rotation to load the trailer with, but I also need to make it easily removeable so I can remove it from the axle, turn the boom 180* and reattach so I can use the boom to load the truck if the need arises. So far I have zero money invested, I aint counting my time or spare parts I have laying around. You can sort of tell by the rusty metal. I do expect to buy new tubing for the boom and I also have to buy the solenoid control valve to work the dump cyl, boom lift and boom turn. I am hopeing some of my hyd hose stash will provide what I need for plumbing.

Look what I found in my scrap pile behind the shop. I had bought these log bunks a few years ago and forgot about them. 4x4 sq tube. I was headed to the metal store this morning and tipped over the tube when I walked around behind the shop.
Resized_20190429_151132.jpeg
It has a slight bow in it, but I think I can still make it work. Plus there is enough of the big tube to fashion some sort of mount for the boom. I got to check my used cyl stash and see if I have a matching pair I can make outriggers with. Might just buy that 8000lb winch after all. My biggest concern now is making the trailer to tongue heavy with the extra weight.

Well, I have been doing a little work on the boom. Between cutting grass and planting the garden and other chores, I havent gotten much done. Heres a few pic's of what I have gotten figured out. No welding as yet, but I am pretty set now in my design. The boom will mount on the trailer tongue and will have out riggers to help support it while winching and lifting loads. It will be similar to a lot of other designs, Aframe, for much bigger lifts.
Resized_20190503_121910.jpeg That is the end of the splined axle shaft to spend the boom. Resized_20190504_132113.jpeg Keyway cut in shaft with a grinder to keep the collar in place.
Resized_20190513_221431.jpeg This shows the plate I made to make a steering arm. The plate fits on the axle collar and will be welded. The cyl are laid out similar to how they will be mounted on the boom frame. One pushes and one pulls. This design should allow me to have a full 180* turn. Notice the other two holes in the plate. this is so I can change out where the cyl mount and allow the boom to turn 180* in the opposite direction. Not a feature I plan to use a whole lot, but is a option I will have if I need it. Got a lot more to do, finding time to do it is the problem. So far the only money spent has been for the collar I am using on the axle. Cutting gas and grinder wheels excluded.

MS, any progress worth reporting?

If you can take a break I have a hydraulic question for you. I am trying to get a sixteen year old diverter valve going. It was probably never used but was in a corrosive environment. I am not sure how this thing works but I assume a magnetic field causes the internal valve to move. Don't think this one has move in years. Is it serviceable? John Deere wants a small fortune for a new one. I want to try and tap it loose, but I don't know which end if any I should be tapping. I also assume I can check the coil by energizing it and seeing if it is magnetic, correct or no? Thanks, Ron

IMG_4386.JPG IMG_4389.JPG IMG_4390.JPG IMG_4391.JPG

LOL, some things just need a BFH to work like they are supposed to.
As for my progress. I have had a few major things happen the last several weeks. I got a offer on my home and decided to sell. I also had my MIL place for sale and was planning on moving into the house while I am building my new one. Well, it sold too. I am officially homeless, but not out on the street yet. I havent closed on my house yet and I will have 60days to move after closing. I also retained the use of my shop for one year after closing. I'll be using it mostly for storage and I dont think my wife would appreciate me burning holes in her stuff with welders and cutting torches. Anyways, all my projects have been put on hold until I get resettled.

Latest posts

Back