Looking for Soft Dutchman against the Lean Video

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

airbiscuit

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
A few years ago I saw a video where a logger felled a fairly large tree 180 degrees against the lean. I think it was a soft dutchman cut, but I could be mistaken. It looked like this video, but it turned the tree even more.

Anybody have a link?

Hotsaw 101 or dangercat are both Jack in that video link, he has many many videos all good. One other video he has called ultra soft Dutchman may be the one you're thinkin of

Can't be done, I say. Can't be done. Well, not me saying - just thinking back on a long wasted argument over this contention. Ron
Oh yessir you sir it can be, and a thing uh beaty when it does!! I could stare in amazement all damn day! :rock:

Hotsaw 101 or dangercat are both Jack in that video link, he has many many videos all good. One other video he has called ultra soft Dutchman may be the one you're thinkin of

ya the ultra soft dutchman vid is the one where he shows how it works. good call. i haven't watched those vids in forever so i just posted the first one.

Can't be done, I say. Can't be done. Well, not me saying - just thinking back on a long wasted argument over this contention. Ron
Physically impossible. 45 degree swing maybe at best. Some old timer said it could never happen or the bloke claiming it could is off his bloody rocker. Wallabys in the belfry sort of thing. Now let's put another shrimp on the Barbie

A few years ago I saw a video where a logger felled a fairly large tree 180 degrees against the lean. I think it was a soft dutchman cut, but I could be mistaken. It looked like this video, but it turned the tree even more.

Anybody have a link?

Spooner huh? Now why would a kid from Spooner want to know about such fancy cuts? I've got a high school buddy that lives up there.

Oh yessir you sir it can be, and a thing uh beaty when it does!! I could stare in amazement all damn day! :rock:
That's the real David copperfield of logging magic tricks, cutting the tension wood in a tree first, then cutting the compression wood last, then the tree defying gravity & going 180 degrees to the way it was said to be leaning initially. Or it could be just reality where the tree goes within the lean range without the hype!
Thanski

All dutchman's are either unintentional, perfunctory of just affectatious. Stop making a simple job look difficult.
Somone out there will be impressed regardless of how stupid you are.

That's the real David copperfield of logging magic tricks, cutting the tension wood in a tree first, then cutting the compression wood last, then the tree defying gravity & going 180 degrees to the way it was said to be leaning initially. Or it could be just reality where the tree goes within the lean range without the hype!
Thanski

you've got your wood backwards. compression wood comes out of the low side progressively. As that happens, the tree begins to commit. Once that's done, come around the back right behind the pull side & let her rip. Sometimes 75% or even more of the tree is kerfed before things start to favor desired lay. That's where a few openings here & there make a difference. like a soft Dutchman. And sometimes as soon as you get in the back, the ***** sits back guns straight for you..

you've got your wood backwards. compression wood comes out of the low side progressively. As that happens, the tree begins to commit. Once that's done, come around the back right behind the pull side & let her rip. Sometimes 75% or even more of the tree is kerfed before things start to favor desired lay. That's where a few openings here & there make a difference. like a soft Dutchman. And sometimes as soon as you get in the back, the ***** sits back guns straight for you..
Ted! He and I had a heated debate about a year ago. I gave evidence with pictures from trees I had cut that week. Step by step. He still said it didn't happen and that I was full of it. Hes afraid to try and would rather just say it's not possible to swing a tree. This is the kind of guy who burned people at the stake for claiming the world was round. You should ask him about his broom theory.

You cutting at all?

This was from a clearcut this spring. You really have to watched the kerfs and how and when they open and close when I'm removing wood here and there to understand what's going on. When the saw kicks in the backcut during one of my last nips at it that's how tight it's sitting back. Too bad I boogered up that second kerf because it makes it a little tougher to see. They all compress and move tho at different times indicating the position of the tree. I wish I had about three angles on this to try and capture all the movement. Seeing what the top is doing is key to understanding. Is it practical? Not really. Can it be done? Yep. I use single kerf Dutchman's everyday in production. They get an uphill leaning tree sidehill without having to wedge. Let the **** storm begin !!!!

what do you say Men?
Me, well I ve been pretty sedentary lately. Since I lost the one who brought me here, I've been about as useful as a tit on a boar. God damn pretty much sums it up.

A few years ago I saw a video where a logger felled a fairly large tree 180 degrees against the lean.
Yep that's magic alright. Perhap you believers could explain or show a diagram how the C of G passes from one side of the butt to the other, making a vid showing time wasting at the butt of a tree doesn't really do much except get the gullible in.
Fansk

Back