Looking for Soft Dutchman against the Lean Video

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's too bad I will never get there. I'd love to show you how far I could swing that tree.
If you could get that tree of mine to fall 180' to the lean, you could easily teleport yourself over here in an instant to show us how it's done, if you didn't get it right first go , you could go back in time & give it another go to save face, nobody would be none the wiser!
Sasinski

If you could get that tree of mine to fall 180' to the lean, you could easily teleport yourself over here in an instant to show us how it's done, if you didn't get it right first go , you could go back in time & give it another go to save face, nobody would be none the wiser!
Sasinski
Not every tree can be turned 180 Reggie. You're a very literal man. I think you need to eat some cactus and hang out with the Aborigines for a while.

Not every tree can be turned 180 Reggie. You're a very literal man. I think you need to eat some cactus and hang out with the Aborigines for a while.
From what you were saying, I was reading it as though you could turn that tree I posted a picture of that's all, I don't mind some cactus juice on the odd occasion & have chased the locals around & vice versa!
Tranks

Bw, please report back the results. If some cactus and a little hang time with the Aborigines is all it will take to straighten you out, then I may try it myself. Ron
I was waiting for you to show me how it was done with all the info, like first off the reference of the lean to a plum bob, then the cuts, you can just mark them in chalk to make it safer, I maybe silly, but not stupid enough to go out & do the impossible without some expert Internet guidance first.
The diagram that was given before was a good example of cutting the tension wood & then the impossibility of the tree falling over cut tension wood!
Slasinski

I've swung a tree over 180°

I had no idea that internet engineers had proven it couldn't be done.:laughing:

It was mostly showing off that I could. But it was satisfying to land it right where I wanted it. I swung it around a keep tree on a country estate. Ground was wide open lawn and if anything went wrong with swinging the tree it didn't matter. Big fat P. pine with a moderate lean. It was fully committed to the fall as it crossed 90°, but with the holding wood and the kerfs just right it came swinging on around, it was about half-way to the ground as it crossed 160° and it rolled about a quarter turn on touch-down, that shows how it was momentum and gravity doing the work.

A smart man learns the laws of nature and works with them to accomplish his goals.

Most of the time I only swing in the 70-120° range. Just rarely have the need to do more than that, only do it to save pounding wedges and because it's fun as heck to do it.:rock:

I've had people call it black magic, voodoo, claim I had rockets in the top, used a tractor beam, "it was an illusion", but the technique is fairly well known around here, usually firewood cutters that can't believe what they just saw. :chop:

On smaller trees, say 8-14", too big to just push over against the lean, I'll use my climbing saw because the kerf is narrower. Those little trees sometimes don't seem to work with the wider kerf of 3/8 chain, can't swing them as much. That is where it really helps, you can't get a wedge in those little trees.

But then I don't believe people who say they've been probed by aliens in the outback against their "lean".

I've swung a tree over 180°

I had no idea that internet engineers had proven it couldn't be done.:laughing:

It was mostly showing off that I could. But it was satisfying to land it right where I wanted it. I swung it around a keep tree on a country estate. Ground was wide open lawn and if anything went wrong with swinging the tree it didn't matter. Big fat P. pine with a moderate lean. It was fully committed to the fall as it crossed 90°, but with the holding wood and the kerfs just right it came swinging on around, it was about half-way to the ground as it crossed 160° and it rolled about a quarter turn on touch-down, that shows how it was momentum and gravity doing the work.

A smart man learns the laws of nature and works with them to accomplish his goals.

Most of the time I only swing in the 70-120° range. Just rarely have the need to do more than that, only do it to save pounding wedges and because it's fun as heck to do it.:rock:

I've had people call it black magic, voodoo, claim I had rockets in the top, used a tractor beam, "it was an illusion", but the technique is fairly well known around here, usually firewood cutters that can't believe what they just saw. :chop:

On smaller trees, say 8-14", too big to just push over against the lean, I'll use my climbing saw because the kerf is narrower. Those little trees sometimes don't seem to work with the wider kerf of 3/8 chain, can't swing them as much. That is where it really helps, you can't get a wedge in those little trees.

But then I don't believe people who say they've been probed by aliens in the outback against their "lean".
If you can't provide a video with the lean proven against a free hanging plumb bob & the tree falling 180' to the lean, it never happened.
Stankinski

Bw,

Good to see you are still with us. After two weeks of silence I was beginning to think some wild Aussie critter's venom had taken you and this thread out. Now that the fever has broke we can carry forward.

In the interest of promoting global harmony by seeking common ground with due recognition of, and utmost regard for, regional differences, you do agree that theoretically our hypothetical perfect tree can be swung further clockwise in the northern hemisphere than in the southern hemisphere, and vice versa counter-clockwise?

While you're pondering, let me also ask your thoughts on why do your folks get all the rugged and practical work trucks and all we can get here are wimpy overpriced four wheel sofas?

Ron

Bw,

Good to see you are still with us. After two weeks of silence I was beginning to think some wild Aussie critter's venom had taken you and this thread out. Now that the fever has broke we can carry forward.

In the interest of promoting global harmony by seeking common ground with due recognition of, and utmost regard for, regional differences, you do agree that theoretically our hypothetical perfect tree can be swung further clockwise in the northern hemisphere than in the southern hemisphere, and vice versa counter-clockwise?

While you're pondering, let me also ask your thoughts on why do your folks get all the rugged and practical work trucks and all we can get here are wimpy overpriced four wheel sofas?

Ron
I'm thinking there wouldn't be any noticeable falling effect whatever the hemisphere, our country is vast & fairly undeveloped with a lot of dirt roads & a small population, so we need practical vehicles outside suburbia
Fanks

Practical answers to an absurd theoretical question and an overstated practical question. Where is the fun in that? We must think deeper and harder. And be more creative. Lest we never resolve our falling question.

Ron

If you can't provide a video with the lean proven against a free hanging plumb bob & the tree falling 180' to the lean, it never happened.
Stankinski

Your inability to comprehend the physics involved and the technique for harnessing the strengths of the tree, mating those two forces to accomplish a task, really says more about you than others.

There is skeptical and then there is hard headed, varying degrees of each of course, but at some point a bunch of people saying it is possible and others that can explain it in a way that is understood by professionals in the field indicates that we are in hard headed territory.

But here, I'll give you another little bit of help just in the name of fairness and international relations.

Clump of three trees, one on top left stays. Top right was an easy drop right into the lay. Bottom tree was leaning the wrong way and short way around won't work because of the keep tree. It could have been jacked, but that takes a good bit of time and a jack which was not on site. I could have swung it less, but if I set it between the stump and keep tree it was almost perfect for skidding toward the right bottom corner.

Black arrows show lean of each tree.
Long red arrow shows the path of travel that the very top of the tree followed, right out of the picture.
Blue lines show where it stopped.
As you can see the top movement only described about 180° but the final result was much farther off the lean. You can get the first 80° or so from the lean with almost no top movement toward the lean, heck just the face and a fat hold can give you that in a strong tree.

Initial top movement is consistent with the lean, meaning it goes where gravity is pulling it, but we stop one side and let the other drop a little bit more so we change the direction the tree is leaning and where gravity is now pulling. As we get into it we have sideways momentum that we can build on. We keep doing this until the tree points the way we want it to go. Done right it happens smoothly and softly, you shock load with a bad cut and you tear out your holding wood.

upload_2016-8-4_18-37-32.png

Your inability to comprehend the physics involved and the technique for harnessing the strengths of the tree, mating those two forces to accomplish a task, really says more about you than others.

There is skeptical and then there is hard headed, varying degrees of each of course, but at some point a bunch of people saying it is possible and others that can explain it in a way that is understood by professionals in the field indicates that we are in hard headed territory.

But here, I'll give you another little bit of help just in the name of fairness and international relations.

Clump of three trees, one on top left stays. Top right was an easy drop right into the lay. Bottom tree was leaning the wrong way and short way around won't work because of the keep tree. It could have been jacked, but that takes a good bit of time and a jack which was not on site. I could have swung it less, but if I set it between the stump and keep tree it was almost perfect for skidding toward the right bottom corner.

Black arrows show lean of each tree.
Long red arrow shows the path of travel that the very top of the tree followed, right out of the picture.
Blue lines show where it stopped.
As you can see the top movement only described about 180° but the final result was much farther off the lean. You can get the first 80° or so from the lean with almost no top movement toward the lean, heck just the face and a fat hold can give you that in a strong tree.

Initial top movement is consistent with the lean, meaning it goes where gravity is pulling it, but we stop one side and let the other drop a little bit more so we change the direction the tree is leaning and where gravity is now pulling. As we get into it we have sideways momentum that we can build on. We keep doing this until the tree points the way we want it to go. Done right it happens smoothly and softly, you shock load with a bad cut and you tear out your holding wood.

View attachment 517730
The physics says it can't happen when the COG is beyond the stump, but you really should have videoed it with a plumb bob for lean reference, it would make it really believable, until then it never happened & it's just another unbelievable fishing story

Still too much of a ***** to try it for yourself huh? It's amazing you even run a chainsaw. That's gotta be on the threshold of danger for you.

image.jpeg
Still too much of a ***** to try it for yourself huh? It's amazing you even run a chainsaw. That's gotta be on the threshold of danger for you.
A bit like a plumb bob to you guys! Ha ha
Here's a 5.5 meter head of a log that I miraculously fell with a saw & cut up today, I'm lucky I got out alive!
Slashinski

A fishing story defies logic and is without basis in common experience.

Swinging a tree around to fall against the lean is both logical and has been experiences by many people.

So not a fish story, more like a fish that doesn't believe there are creatures that live out of the water because he's never seen them.

You've been shown video, given diagrams, had it explained over and over and you still dismiss it. That means you are the one failing here.

This method also works for swing limbs.
I got to try the Dutchman today when remota large limb heading for a fence.
Put a bit of a Dutchman in with my scarf and she twisted beautifully missing the fence by a mile.

Cheers to everyone for their input on the subject

Your post has pulled me back into the fray as it is a practical illustration of the phenomenon that almost everyone who has limbed a standing tree has experienced. Uninhibited gravity would dictate that the limb should fall straight down. But the cut and resulting hinge alters the course.

Two videos for Bw's viewing. You don't need to watch either to the end to get the point that falling direction can be controlled and momentum can be leveraged. They also illustrate that many of us have more than enough idle time.

Ron

Latest posts

Back