Looking for someone who can mill a big Oak in NC

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourwould

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
This is probably a long shot. Both this tree and myself are located in Durham NC.

I have been offered a very large red oak that fell in a storm a while back. The trunk itself is about 4' dbh and there's a big crotch probably about 5' across. This is a pretty large tree for my area, and have been having trouble finding anyone who can handle something this size.

Ideally, I'd like to try and slab up at least the crotch section for table tops. I'd like to try and get some out of the trunk has well, but I'm sure there is some amount of heart rot, which is pretty common for oak in my area.

I'm hoping to find another wood worker who would like a split of the lumber or cash plus a split of the lumber. I've found one mill outside of town that can mill up to 6', but the cost of transportation plus milling really stacks up (I could probably get set up with a cs mill rig for the same cost).

Probably a long shot, but it never hurts to ask. Thanks.

IMG_20180612_120717.jpg IMG_20180612_121047.jpg

@SeMoTony your gonna have to take a road trip!
This is probably a long shot. Both this tree and myself are located in Durham NC.

I have been offered a very large red oak that fell in a storm a while back. The trunk itself is about 4' dbh and there's a big crotch probably about 5' across. This is a pretty large tree for my area, and have been having trouble finding anyone who can handle something this size.

Ideally, I'd like to try and slab up at least the crotch section for table tops. I'd like to try and get some out of the trunk has well, but I'm sure there is some amount of heart rot, which is pretty common for oak in my area.

I'm hoping to find another wood worker who would like a split of the lumber or cash plus a split of the lumber. I've found one mill outside of town that can mill up to 6', but the cost of transportation plus milling really stacks up (I could probably get set up with a cs mill rig for the same cost).

Probably a long shot, but it never hurts to ask. Thanks.

View attachment 657914 View attachment 657915

@SeMoTony your gonna have to take a road trip!

That wood be a trip! But I did think about it since the equipment in my inventory wood do that job. Summer warmth keeps me close to cool water
IMG_20180613_155634.jpg
Like this that a wet rock can hit the kitchen window! It is possible,if funds are available, to get the PH from trading Post the Alaskan equivalent from Amazon and two six foot bars from the Alaskan supply to reach across. The bar may be more difficult/expensive unless you get a Stihl powerhead in which case I may rent my Forester bar. You'd be able to cut 68-69" with my bar since the center of the nose sprocket is drilled for a bolt to attach the post. If you want to go that way PM me and I go into better details.
Good fortune/luck for All

That wood be a trip! But I did think about it since the equipment in my inventory wood do that job. Summer warmth keeps me close to cool water
View attachment 657970
Like this that a wet rock can hit the kitchen window! It is possible,if funds are available, to get the PH from trading Post the Alaskan equivalent from Amazon and two six foot bars from the Alaskan supply to reach across. The bar may be more difficult/expensive unless you get a Stihl powerhead in which case I may rent my Forester bar. You'd be able to cut 68-69" with my bar since the center of the nose sprocket is drilled for a bolt to attach the post. If you want to go that way PM me and I go into better details.
Good fortune/luck for All

The other part of the equation is after the log is milled it is possible (but not likely) you wood place the equiptment you used up for sale to replace the majority of the money that bought the materials. On the bar from me, shipping wood be most of the cost. The not likely part is in regard to this process is addicting.
Road trip for me 13 hours +; $80 or more for fuel one way & then So little room to bring slabs back. See I still think about it ADDICTION

Sladly, it is not in the budget right now to pick up a power head capable of slabbing up this oak. I'm saving up currently to get a small milling rig together. Big trees fall in my lap too often to not have milling capabilities. I came across this big elm today that's about 30" at the base.

IMG_20180616_104449.jpg

You ever find anyone to do the job? Like Tony, I'm a bit far afield but am going to keep a closer eye on the milling forum for these kind of situations as I'm looking to expand on my selection beyond the Texas woods I'm working with, mostly mesquite and Texas elm and some live oak. It's always a shame to see big downed trees go to waste, I'm trying to link up with some tree care companies here in San Antonio so they can notify me when they have a good size downed tree that I can save them money on the disposal of and get free wood for myself. I picked up a Stihl MS780 (same as 880) for a little more than $900 brand new in Mexico last year and had a friend bring it up on one of his trips, and got a 72" GB bar from Left Coast Supplies and some new rails to widen my Alaskan mill out to 60". Haven't tested the big bar yet, dropped a large live oak about 30" in diameter a few months back, and it has a crotch upward of 48-54". Has taken so much time to clean up the canopy of the tree though I haven't started milling any of it yet..

Haven't done anything with this tree yet. I'm still working on the elm. Just bought a bigger saw to mill with (not big enough for this oak). I won't be back at this jobsite for a while. I need to get this tree laying nicely in the ground. Might be kind of sketchy alone.

I need to get this tree laying nicely in the ground. Might be kind of sketchy alone.
That's what has held me up on the live oak. Should have limbed the whole thing first, but my neighbor whose wooded site it's on was anxious just to drop it. So the trunk is propped up by the rest of the tree and hasn't rolled off the stump, and have had to carefully and dangerously cut the heavily tensioned limbs back so I can get the trunk on the ground. And while I thought it was going to be a joint venture, it's been all me so far. But I've had a lot of experience with downed trees under tension from hurricane cleanup in Florida where I'm from, so have minimized the sketchiness of it. Have had too much woodworking to do since getting my planer working again to spend any time out at that site milling though. I may head back to Florida at some point to visit folks and do some milling there, I'll check in with you if I happen to be up your way at all.

Latest posts

Back