Looking for wood processor advice on Dyna Products sc12xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fordf150

ArboristSite.com Sponsor
Sponsor
Reaction score
This year we clear cut a few acres with about a total of 10 acres or more to do on my place. Over the next couple years we are also going to clear fence line which means approx 2 miles of cutting a 10-20 ft wide trail around the property. The neighbor asked if I would clear cut 10 acres for him too. Same size wood on his land. So I have the wood supply to pay for this processor over the next few years. With that much wood to process I thought it would make sense to buy a processor and speed things up. Majority of the wood is going to be in the 4-16 inch range with anything over that size either getting left standing or going to the mill. Not wanting anything big or expensive. I was looking at a Dyna Products sc12xp....Any experience with these or similar costing machines? I have a tractor with loader( pallet forks, bucket, grapple bucket) and dump truck to haul the wood to and from the processor. We have a 2 splitters already but with the quantity of wood that we have I am after a less labor intensive and faster approach.

I have ran and sold dyna Sc 12 xp. You can cut easy and fast. My friend got one and cut 48 full cord in a week. It so easy and can be pulled ny a car . the sc 14 is made for 100+ cords and the sc-16 is the work horse at 4 full cord a hour. Call me if you need more info. 231-206-4073 or go to greatlakesloggingandfirewood.com. Dennis

IMG_1712.jpg
fordf150: Can you give us a product review of the dyna products sc12xp now that you have had it a year? It has a hand operated hydraulic cut off saw. That would be a lot of cuts per log, and per day, so I'm wondering how that works? Do you wish you had gone with the next bump up to the sc14, with the hydraulic operated cut off saw? Another question is how do you handle resplitting? Do you do resplitting as you go, running through the processor splitter again, or afterwards on another splitter? How much have you run through your machine? Thanks, Crane

We ran a total of 1 cord thru it before it went under the knife. Added/upgraded to a hydraulic saw and clamp. modified the shields to allow the use of a 64cm bar instead of the 54cm that it came with. Changed out the hydraulic pump for a 2 section pump 1.04/0.52 cu in which if i remember right worked out to be an extra 2gpm on the large side that i left connected to all the original hydraulics and 8gpm dedicated to the conveyor/saw/clamp. worked out nice. I used 1 1/2" cylinders to operate the clamp and saw so they didnt have to much power and had fast movement. Installed a priority valve for the conveyor and a flow control valve on the saw cylinder. With the extra flow the Honda engine can only muster 2900psi and that is feathering the splitter valve to keep it from stalling. 2900psi on the 4" cylinder is 19T but Dyna has a nice 4 way wedge that splits right thru 99% of what i throw at it even the knots and crotches. we also modified the log feed table because once we were able to fit the 18" logs the chain didnt grab them and feed them. That modification was the easiest. We just added a strip of 1 1/2 x1/4" steel in the track under the chain. Lifted it up out of the track just enough to allow it to grab the larger logs and grabs the smaller logs even better than factory. We jsut laid it in under the chain and plug welded it half a dozen spots to make replace easy later on.

total investment in the upgrades were less than $2000 and it performs similar to a the sc16.

To do it over again I would buy the SC12 instead of the SC12XP. One of the main benefits of the xp model was the larger motor and pump but knowing that the pump needs replaced and even the larger motor that comes on the xp isnt big enough i would save the money and just buy the SC12...take the money i saved and install a 24-27HP used engine off a rider along with all the same mods i already did to mine.
factory capacity is 14"...with the mods..i can feed 16" even if the are knotty or crooked and 20-22" perfect logs without a problem. occasionally the bar isnt long enough to cut all the way thru the log but i keep a chainsaw handy for that among other things. When we modified the shields we left enough room to go to the next step up on bar length but it isnt worth it since the 64cm bar reaches for 99% of the wood i feed it and if you go to size wood that it wont reach thru i start running into the chain wont pull the log.

I have somewhere around 50-60 cord thru it now maybe a bit more since i dont know how much is in my stock pile. the 50-60 cord is what has been sold and hauled off so far last year and this year. so far only thing that has needed worked on is the junk Honda engine that the fuel solenoid in the carb died at 30hrs. works good and cant complain about anything other than my quickie modified conveyor doesnt work very well.

All the resplits happen right when they come off the splitter. I just flip them right back over the wedge and split them again. I mostly load directly into the truck so it would be more work to set them off to the side and do later. The only splitter i have is the one on the processor. Sold the trusty 22T huskee splitter this spring since we didnt use it all last winter.

Overall i like the processor but it is very light duty. The main frame/splitter beam is just 4x6 1/4 wall(cant remember measurements for sure but this is close to what it really is) with 3/8 plate welded to the top for the pusher plate to ride on. Wedge is 10-12" tall and only an inch thick. I watch it flex and move on even 10" oak rounds but knock on wood, no cracks or problems. The beam flexes and moves a bit and it used to bug me watching all the flex but anymore i dont even pay attention. I figure the low psi from higher flow hydraulics has probably saved me from tearing anything up.

Wow... Thanks. I'm sure I am not the only one that finds this interesting, with an eye on an entry level processor. I had thought of using the sp12XP for a couple years, working into a larger machine. Thank you for addressing the resplitting as well. All very interesting hands on stuff.

Wow... Thanks. I'm sure I am not the only one that finds this interesting, with an eye on an entry level processor. I had thought of using the sp12XP for a couple years, working into a larger machine. Thank you for addressing the resplitting as well. All very interesting hands on stuff.
I'm not sure why the hydraulic clamp and saw are not at least options from Dyna because modifying them to accept a cylinder was pretty easy. Figuring out the plumbing want but until I did this project the most in depth hydraulic work I had done was replace a line and repack a cylinder. I still need to tweak the priority valve. What I installed was a 7/1 valve with 7 gallon having priority to the conveyor and remainder going to the clamp/saw. I did that because I want sure what I needed and that valve was $30. What I need is a 2/6 with the 2gpm being priority to the clamp/saw and remainder going to the conveyor.

These units are definitely worth considering for low volume processing. I can do a cord an hour with decent wood. Even when I have twisted or small(4") it will still manage a cord in an hour and half by myself. All that without breaking a sweat which is the draw for me. I work at the shop 12 hours a day, 6 days a week. Sunday is my day to cut wood and the woods work is hard enough. The cutting and splitting needs to be quick and easy when working by yourself

Takes a good three to four hours for me to cut and split a cord. Stacking is two additional hours. A cord an hour would certainly be a step up, but it sounds like lacking fabrication skills the sc14 would be a better fit. I had thought of the sc12XP for a couple years, see how that goes, and work up. Less time, and less work per cord comes with a price. Now I'm thinking start with the sc14 which comes with all the options you have added. Thanks again.

All the options I added but also a 6k higher price tag. Manual clamp and saw was slightly faster especially on smaller wood. Figure on roughly 3 gallon of gas per cord. If I take my time I get away with 1 1/2 gallon but if I push the machine hard and keep it humming along at max capacity it will burn a little over 3 gallon per cord. Going easy will get you a cord in a little under 2 hours. Pushing the machine a cord can be done in 45 minutes but requires 2 people to keep it fed.

I realize this is a old thread... any pictures of the modification to the shields that you made? Also where did you purchase your pump from, and any pics of how you mounted and where you mounted the rams for the hydraulic clamp and hydraulic saw arm... Thanks - i just purchased a SC12XP PTO model that i am converting to a engine driven machine.

We ran a total of 1 cord thru it before it went under the knife. Added/upgraded to a hydraulic saw and clamp. modified the shields to allow the use of a 64cm bar instead of the 54cm that it came with. Changed out the hydraulic pump for a 2 section pump 1.04/0.52 cu in which if i remember right worked out to be an extra 2gpm on the large side that i left connected to all the original hydraulics and 8gpm dedicated to the conveyor/saw/clamp. worked out nice. I used 1 1/2" cylinders to operate the clamp and saw so they didnt have to much power and had fast movement. Installed a priority valve for the conveyor and a flow control valve on the saw cylinder. With the extra flow the Honda engine can only muster 2900psi and that is feathering the splitter valve to keep it from stalling. 2900psi on the 4" cylinder is 19T but Dyna has a nice 4 way wedge that splits right thru 99% of what i throw at it even the knots and crotches. we also modified the log feed table because once we were able to fit the 18" logs the chain didnt grab them and feed them. That modification was the easiest. We just added a strip of 1 1/2 x1/4" steel in the track under the chain. Lifted it up out of the track just enough to allow it to grab the larger logs and grabs the smaller logs even better than factory. We jsut laid it in under the chain and plug welded it half a dozen spots to make replace easy later on.

total investment in the upgrades were less than $2000 and it performs similar to a the sc16.

To do it over again I would buy the SC12 instead of the SC12XP. One of the main benefits of the xp model was the larger motor and pump but knowing that the pump needs replaced and even the larger motor that comes on the xp isnt big enough i would save the money and just buy the SC12...take the money i saved and install a 24-27HP used engine off a rider along with all the same mods i already did to mine.
factory capacity is 14"...with the mods..i can feed 16" even if the are knotty or crooked and 20-22" perfect logs without a problem. occasionally the bar isnt long enough to cut all the way thru the log but i keep a chainsaw handy for that among other things. When we modified the shields we left enough room to go to the next step up on bar length but it isnt worth it since the 64cm bar reaches for 99% of the wood i feed it and if you go to size wood that it wont reach thru i start running into the chain wont pull the log.

I have somewhere around 50-60 cord thru it now maybe a bit more since i dont know how much is in my stock pile. the 50-60 cord is what has been sold and hauled off so far last year and this year. so far only thing that has needed worked on is the junk Honda engine that the fuel solenoid in the carb died at 30hrs. works good and cant complain about anything other than my quickie modified conveyor doesnt work very well.

All the resplits happen right when they come off the splitter. I just flip them right back over the wedge and split them again. I mostly load directly into the truck so it would be more work to set them off to the side and do later. The only splitter i have is the one on the processor. Sold the trusty 22T huskee splitter this spring since we didnt use it all last winter.

Overall i like the processor but it is very light duty. The main frame/splitter beam is just 4x6 1/4 wall(cant remember measurements for sure but this is close to what it really is) with 3/8 plate welded to the top for the pusher plate to ride on. Wedge is 10-12" tall and only an inch thick. I watch it flex and move on even 10" oak rounds but knock on wood, no cracks or problems. The beam flexes and moves a bit and it used to bug me watching all the flex but anymore i dont even pay attention. I figure the low psi from higher flow hydraulics has probably saved me from tearing anything up.

Latest posts

Back