Looking to buy a Ms441

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Gordon

Arborist Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’ve been searching for a larger chainsaw for about a month now and I came across a 2017 MS 441, it’s not C-M Tronic it seems to have an adjustable carburetor holes by the pictures
I just find it has with a different plastic covers and then all the rest of the pro saws just wondering is this like a unicorn of the saws or is it an actual good saw?
I’m sure the mechanicals are good but it kind of seems like the rest of the outside shell is different than all the rest of the saws

Not sure exactly what you're asking? Yes the 441 cam without the Mtronic system, but most were earlier models, most of them in 17 were Mtronic. Does the saw have CM on the recoil? It's possible the plastic covers are from a different saw. You'll have to examine the saw in person, make sure it's all stock including the top end, lots of saws with cheap aftermarket top ends floating around.

The 441 is an ok saw, it's just they're quite a few better options out there.

33FC2C2D-8E75-4B19-BD29-20BD678DE057.jpeg
Sorry for the confusion, here’s a picture of it. It’s obviously just a Ms441
The guy selling it says it’s a 2017, that being said it could of sat around for over a year with out being sold at the store too
I’m a chainsaw enthusiast and I cut wood as a hobby/for heat I don’t need the best of the best
Just haven’t seen a lot of these saws out there and wanted know a little more that’s all
You see more 044/ms440 or 046/ms460 out there and just didn’t know if it was worth looking into

If that's the original starter " which is likely" the saw has a regular carb. It doesn't look to be in bad condition, but it's definutly seen a bit of use by the look of the handle and chain brake. Weather or not you should grab it really depends on the price and what you're looking for.

they were asking $580 with a little wiggle room.....I just looked right now and the add is gone or the saw is sold ‍♂️
I guess I was a little late to the party
As for a saw like that or something bigger ms460 or ms461, if I go used what price range should I be staying in?

I have a 441 I bought new in 2012. At that time, with a 25" bar, I think I paid about $850 for it.
It is my favorite saw to use. Lower vibes, great fuel economy, etc. Our trees here are pretty much 28-30" and less, and this saw does a great job on the largest. I also switch around, depending on trunk diameter, with my 036 and 261, but the 441 is the nicest of them to operate.
Don't know what to say about price on them now, used. I haven't paid any attention to saws other than my own for some time now. I think that, if in good condition, I'd be willing to pay $450+ for a replacement if I needed to.

I live in Canada so prices will always be a little different, plus Canada doesn’t offer as many saws as the States, it jumps from a 362c to a 461
I mean a brand new ms461 is over $1200 out of the box here
I don’t think I want to go that route yet but that’s why I’m looking into a used saw, and I know you have to be careful what you buy, there are some shady ppl out there putting junk together too lol

The 461 is nla here, not sure about the great white north. So the jump here so now 362 to the 462. For Canada the price you listed on the 461 is actually incredibly good, that's not much more than what they went for in the states, I'd grab it fast if I had the cash. The 461 weighs the same as the 441 but quite a bit more grunt.

I’ve run the 440 class saws for years. They are excellent saws if your cutting 10-18” wood. Super longevity and good power to weight. If you walked into a shop to buy a new one the 461 makes more sense, but used You’ll find a lot more 440, 441 saws available.
A 440 with muffler mod and base gasket delete will smoke a stock 460 through the wood. So I wouldn’t let the small gains keep you from a used 441.
Of course once the 500I hits the shelves in USA you may see a ton of 441, 461, and even some 660 type saws forsale cheap. I believe there is a conspiracy to hold them off the shelves until they sell their stock of models that may become obsolete.

It does makes sense about selling the old stock first before bringing in the new
Some ppl are asking high prices for used 460 and 461s. Like $800 +
So for another 1/3 more you can pretty near get a brand new 461
The firewood cutting is just about done for me this season so I guess I’m going to keep my eyes open for something during the summer
But thank you all for your input on this subject, I’m definitely going to buy something just going to have to wait for now

I've put some miles on 3 different ms441s that my buddy has had. Just got home from the woodpile and he had a 2007 441 with him today.

Honestly the 441 is ok but I'm not in love any of the ones I've run. My 044 arctic with heated handles and carb seems a lot lighter then a 441 and power wise with a muff mod and no base gasket it has more then a stock 441.

Not to say a 441 isn't a saw worth owning I just think there are better saws for the money.

The price on that one is pretty reasonable based on what I've seen on the Canadian market. À

The 441 is my favorite saw. This is the one saw that I have owned out of 20 that needed zero mods. It screams. I also bought mine new in 2012. It pulls a 25" bar through red oak like it was balsa wood. I also have a 362 that I keep a 20" bar installed on. I have been cutting lots of large red oak the last 10 years for firewood.

I’m kinda curious why stihl makes both 440 and 460. Kinda seems odd to make 2 that are basically the same thing besides a bigger jug.
another thing that baffles me is that the 440was 5X as popular as the 460, but now the 461 is a lot more popular that a 441.

Back