Looking to buy a saw in 3-6 months, suggestions?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saw suggestions

• 372xp

Votes: 10 32.3%
  • 385xp

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • 288xp

• 395xp

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Larger than 95cc

• Stihl of some sort

Votes: 12 38.7%

• Total voters

Dardy jake

Husqvarna 445, 450, 450e Stihl 009, 041av
Reaction score
I currently cut all my wood with a husqvarna 450, I’m looking to get something bigger, that can be used for everything from firewood, to falling and I’ve even given a sawmill setup some thought for the future, I was thinking about maybe a 372xp because I’ve only heard good about them but not sure if it would be quite big enough to run a 28inch or bigger bar if needed, if not a 372 I was thinking maybe a 385xp which made me think about just saving a bit more and buying a brand new 395xp? I cut only hard wood, usually mahoganies and ironbarks, a small variety of gums. Any feedback would be much appreciated! :givebeer: :rock:

I’ve used a 32 inch bar buried with a 272xp. 372 will likely pull it better. Chain better be sharp. Skip chain. That was in a 36 to 40” white oak. Depending where you measured it. If you don’t need a super large saw I wouldn’t bother with one. They are heavy

I run a 28" on my 372xp. Some around me even run 32". A 372 is one of the best all around saws. Sure a 390 or 395 would have more Power, but I wouldn't want to carry one around all day. If this purchase was primarily for milling, I would say 395. But if it's for felling and firewood cutting, I would recommend a 372 or 390. Between those two, it depends on the size of wood you deal with most. If the majority of your cutting is under 25 inches, a 372 will be just fine, and save save you a couple pounds. If you consistently cut 30 inch+, then a 390xp

In your hardwoods, a 372 would not do well with a 28” bar, but would be a serious step up from your 450. If i had the choice of a 385/390 or a 395- id go 395. Pretty well proven and bulletproof, and lots of em out there being used for milling.

I would only be running a 28” if needed, like if I was cutting something 40” wide, I’ve used a mates older 395xp but I’ve obly used it once, would I have trouble with the weight if I was looking at using it for 2,3 or more hours at a time

I’ve used a 32 inch bar buried with a 272xp. 372 will likely pull it better. Chain better be sharp. Skip chain. That was in a 36 to 40” white oak. Depending where you measured it. If you don’t need a super large saw I wouldn’t bother with one. They are heavy

How was she going with that? Yeah would definitely have to be a full skip chain and I like to keep mine sharp, I usually sharpen every 2 tanks, or every tank if I’m cutting the harder stuff like iron bark

I've heard that Huskies are good, but Stihls are better. :innocent:

Yeah can’t say I’m a fan of them but I haven’t had much experience with them either, although I haven’t heard a whole lot of good with them compared to the husky

How was she going with that? Yeah would definitely have to be a full skip chain and I like to keep mine sharp, I usually sharpen every 2 tanks, or every tank if I’m cutting the harder stuff like iron bark
Well I was cutting that tree down. So I certainly wasn’t in a hurry. It was one of the largest I ever cut down. It was actually running it well enough. I don’t need a bar that long all that often. I guess what I’m trying to say is for a job here and there it worked well. A 372 may do even better. I’d use that setup again in a pinch. At the time the 272 was the largest saw I had.

My daily use saw is a 372 with a 28" tsumara. I run skip on it and have no problems with it in hardwood buried the odd tree I get over 28". With a muffler mod, properly tunef, sharp chain and not too aggressive depth gauges you should be fine. If your wood is consistently above 30" and hardwood you might want to look at going to a 390. The big thing is keeping your chain sharp and your depth gauges set so they don't over work the saw.

Ask someone who cut's wood like yours, here's a great place to do that.
Place a link to this thread in here and get input from those most likely to know your actual circumstances.
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/the-all-aussie-dribble-thread.175005/
From the guys over there I've talked to and listen to talk, you go big or go home. We don't have anything here in the states that compares to the hardwoods you guys cut there :surprised3:.
Here's a video of a guy running a ported 390, if I was over there I'd have one for sure as well as a bunch of others and all larger than the 450 you have.

Ask someone who cut's wood like yours, here's a great place to do that.
Place a link to this thread in here and get input from those most likely to know your actual circumstances.
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/the-all-aussie-dribble-thread.175005/
From the guys over there I've talked to and listen to talk, you go big or go home. We don't have anything here in the states that compares to the hardwoods you guys cut there :surprised3:.
Here's a video of a guy running a ported 390, if I was over there I'd have one for sure as well as a bunch of others and all larger than the 450 you have.

Carl did my 390 and run an 8 pin. Either dull chain or super hard wood, he is making dust. I take it super hard wood. :)

If you are not afraid of the new autotune / m-tronic saws and 6 months is the time frame; why not consider a 572xp or MS462?

You only need a 50, a 70 and a 90+ cc. All the other ones is part of the cad.

The choice of brand is personal.

Back