Looking to buy my first saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you. Never heard to let it idle to runs dry if not going to be used for a few weeks. I typically only fill my saw half full unless I know I can run it empty with the work I have to do so that I am always adding at least some fresh the next time I use it. Plus my mix is always fresh since I run through it with my weed eater and blower all the time.

Regarding ethanol. Someone once told me 93 doesn't have ethanol in it. Is that true? I normally use 93 in my mix. However, I live near a lake people boat on and the gas station right down the road sells 89 ethanol free. Am I better running that than 93?

high octane is preferred but not required...Stihls website says 89 is OK just keep it fresh. Ethanol will screw up every fuel line and gasket in that thing so avoid it like the plague unless you like pulling your saw down to fix it all the time.

Now comes the part where your thread turns into a cage match (spoiler alert talking about oil here) the 50:1 thing is a tree hugger EPA thing....almost everyone except the diehard "Only Stihl Engineers Know type" will reccomend 40:1 with a quality oil (stihls is OK but smells like ass) the really crazy will advocate 100:1 with some super mythical synthetic oil or for the older crowds they will say 32:1 or else....40:1 works fine and splits the difference.

Congrats on your new saw.

Up here in New Yorkistan, the octane rating has nothing to do with fuel having ethanol in it or not. Our pumps are marked and say whether there is ethanol in and how much, which is 10% (Central NY at east) and if there's no ethanol in it. Hasn't always been this way.

NYH1.

Good choice OP.

My MS261CM is my favorite saw of my bunch to use. I run mine with a 16" Cannon Superbar and 26RM62 chain.

You will enjoy this saw more and more as time passes. Mine is about 6 months old and has 30-40 tanks through it. Amazing saw, especially after the muffler mod I did a few weekends ago...

So made my decision this weekend. Picked up the MS261 C-M with an 18in bar. I checked out the MS362 as well but really like how light the 261 is and the .8hp gain over the older 028WB I imagine should be plenty for my needs.

IMG_20180514_092342.jpg

IMG_20180514_092402.jpg

Thought this almost looked like an advertisement
IMG_20180514_092550.jpg

First work with the new saw
IMG_20180514_092609.jpg

Made myself a bench to sit on too
IMG_20180514_092624.jpg

Really like the power and how fast it cuts. Only on my second tank of gas though yet though and from what I read it will only get stronger through the first 4-5 tanks worth. The AV tech seems to have come a long way as well cause it doesn't seem to wear on my arms and make them start to go num near as fast as the 028 did.
Those do look like advertisement pictures! Great shots, she modeled well for her first session! Lol
Thats a nice saw, enjoy its use and always be careful, accidents happen quicker as you work quicker. Looks like you going to clean up that acre in no time with that.

Congrats on your choice. I can't imagine you will do anything but love that saw for years & years! It will keep getting stronger through the first 12-20 tanks! Doing a muff mod will improve it noticeably as well as allow the saw to run a bit cooler. Just remember to do the carb calibrating sequence after doing the mod. The best way to avoid concerns about fuel quality is to go with the canned stuff, & the advice to use 40:1 is a good tip. High octane is not necessary. Anywhere between 89-95 is just fine. My favorite "cocktail" is VP 94 octane 4 stroke fuel mixed 40:1 with Motul 710 oil. My 261, 200, & 201 all perform perfectly on this mix. FWIW, even non-ethanol pump gas has a fairly short shelf life because of volatile components which are lost within a fairly short time depending on how & where it is stored.
Chainsaws aside, I like your sig! I've been quite involved with hockey for many years as a player, coach, & referee. Who do you like to go all the way this year?

Congrats on your choice. I can't imagine you will do anything but love that saw for years & years! It will keep getting stronger through the first 12-20 tanks! Doing a muff mod will improve it noticeably as well as allow the saw to run a bit cooler. Just remember to do the carb calibrating sequence after doing the mod. The best way to avoid concerns about fuel quality is to go with the canned stuff, & the advice to use 40:1 is a good tip. High octane is not necessary. Anywhere between 89-95 is just fine. My favorite "cocktail" is VP 94 octane 4 stroke fuel mixed 40:1 with Motul 710 oil. My 261, 200, & 201 all perform perfectly on this mix. FWIW, even non-ethanol pump gas has a fairly short shelf life because of volatile components which are lost within a fairly short time depending on how & where it is stored.
Chainsaws aside, I like your sig! I've been quite involved with hockey for many years as a player, coach, & referee. Who do you like to go all the way this year?

I bought a 261 a few weeks ago. I'd like to see Washington win it. Ovechkin deserves one before he retires soon.

high octane is preferred but not required...Stihls website says 89 is OK just keep it fresh. Ethanol will screw up every fuel line and gasket in that thing so avoid it like the plague unless you like pulling your saw down to fix it all the time.

Now comes the part where your thread turns into a cage match (spoiler alert talking about oil here) the 50:1 thing is a tree hugger EPA thing....almost everyone except the diehard "Only Stihl Engineers Know type" will reccomend 40:1 with a quality oil (stihls is OK but smells like ass) the really crazy will advocate 100:1 with some super mythical synthetic oil or for the older crowds they will say 32:1 or else....40:1 works fine and splits the difference.

Congrats on your new saw.

Up here in New Yorkistan, the octane rating has nothing to do with fuel having ethanol in it or not. Our pumps are marked and say whether there is ethanol in and how much, which is 10% (Central NY at east) and if there's no ethanol in it. Hasn't always been this way.

NYH1.

So it seems like the most prefered mixture is 40:1. That seems to be about 1 1/3 of those little bottles of oil I had to buy to get my 2 year warraty then. I will be sure to get the 89 ethanol free next time I go to fill up. Don't really have any easy way to dispose of the mixture I already have unless I pour it in my firepit and burn it. I have never noticed that Stihls mix oil smells bad. I do know that Motul oil is a good brand so that is considered better for the saws?

Is it just better to buy the premixed gas oil from Stihl or any other brand instead?

As far as hockey goes I am a Colorado Avalanche fan. I started playing hockey in first grade and played competiviely all the way through high school. My last 3 years of high school I played on 3 different teams at once and pretty much played 6-7 days a week year round. Played pickup all through college as well. Now that I moved from PA to NC for work I hate to say but I have not played now in over 5 years which is kind of a bummer. Of those teams left I would like to see either the Knights or Jets win it really.

Good choice OP.

My MS261CM is my favorite saw of my bunch to use. I run mine with a 16" Cannon Superbar and 26RM62 chain.

You will enjoy this saw more and more as time passes. Mine is about 6 months old and has 30-40 tanks through it. Amazing saw, especially after the muffler mod I did a few weekends ago...
I think I will eventually do the muffler mod but once my warranty is over. I mean I guess I could buy a used muffler and swap it out if a issue for warranty wark comes up.

Motul is fine oil but smells bad too. I use Redline Allsport. Works well and makes the exhaust smell good. It used to be reasonably priced but it's gone up a lot since I bought my last gallon.

The canned fuels are really expensive.

Dispose of your old (but clean) premix by putting it in your truck or lawn mower etc.

I get a 5 gallon can of premium for the saws but mix a gallon at a time. That way if I don't use up all the premium before it gets old I can just put it in the truck without wasting the premix oil.

Hell I pour all my old stuff in my truck LOL. Its such a small amount it won't make a bit of impact or harm

Use whichever oil you want at whatever mix ratio you want. I use Amsoil Saber oil mixed at 50:1 in 90 octane E-free fuel in all our 2 strokes (except the old Homelite, it's 32:1). I get a case of 6.5 oz. bottles (12 btls) and mix it with 2.5 gals. of fuel. Nice and easy.

NYH1.

So it seems like the most prefered mixture is 40:1. That seems to be about 1 1/3 of those little bottles of oil I had to buy to get my 2 year warraty then. I will be sure to get the 89 ethanol free next time I go to fill up. Don't really have any easy way to dispose of the mixture I already have unless I pour it in my firepit and burn it. I have never noticed that Stihls mix oil smells bad. I do know that Motul oil is a good brand so that is considered better for the saws?

Is it just better to buy the premixed gas oil from Stihl or any other brand instead?

As far as hockey goes I am a Colorado Avalanche fan. I started playing hockey in first grade and played competiviely all the way through high school. My last 3 years of high school I played on 3 different teams at once and pretty much played 6-7 days a week year round. Played pickup all through college as well. Now that I moved from PA to NC for work I hate to say but I have not played now in over 5 years which is kind of a bummer. Of those teams left I would like to see either the Knights or Jets win it really.

Hockey is about the only sport I can watch and stomach anymore.... it will grow hair on your chest and your balls will generally grow two sizes during playoff season :) football, baseball and basketball have too many friggin prima donna's that forget what they are there for...

I just bought that same saw, you will love it! Great choice, sounds just like my scenario. Bought a home, have a fire pit and hardwoods to cut.
A muffler mod will wake it up a bit, if you feel you need some more power. Very nice saw, well built and light.

Use an old stabil bottle and fill it with 2 stroke oil. Makes measuring whatever your mix ratio real easy.

Back