Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Timberdonkey,
We’re cut from the same cloth apparently. I got off the spurs 2 days ago for the same reasons you listed. I also have a climber coming over for training. I have the weaver 4 d ring saddle too. This is what I bought to have a complete drt/mrt setup (see picture). I’ve been body thrusting up to the 10’ mark quite often for the past few days- even took a saw, wrapped a secondary lanyard around the tree, and pruned a branch. I just thought a kit was easy and it was from an arborist supplier. I have not bought any life safety equipment from eBay or Amazon! I’m sure there’s good stuff on those sites but I don’t know exactly how to weed out the bad except maybe by brand. I wish you well in your endeavor! Lots a good experienced folks here willing to help is awesome!
Here’s what I put in the tree. That’s a whole other practice and discipline. I had to learn how to set up the line in its crate, effectively toss, tie rope to throw line as well as thread friction/ cambium saver through. I felt like spurring up the tree to put the rope in!!! It’s a workout. Can’t wait for proper training to learn much more. It’s amazing how a rope tied to a rope can allow you to ascend, descend, and stay put. Amazing

Attachments

• 8C3BC665-E9B7-49F5-8EE1-8FA375A5017A.jpeg
    8C3BC665-E9B7-49F5-8EE1-8FA375A5017A.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 12
  • 92B46E94-8717-42CE-A786-9E81CEB33011.jpeg
    92B46E94-8717-42CE-A786-9E81CEB33011.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 12
  • 5DD29E95-56F6-4623-A40F-7917579B068B.jpeg
    5DD29E95-56F6-4623-A40F-7917579B068B.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 12
Here’s what I put in the tree. That’s a whole other practice and discipline. I had to learn how to set up the line in its crate, effectively toss, tie rope to throw line as well as thread friction/ cambium saver through. I felt like spurring up the tree to put the rope in!!! It’s a workout. Can’t wait for proper training to learn much more. It’s amazing how a rope tied to a rope can allow you to ascend, descend, and stay put. Amazing
here's a little trick (you probably know this one) pull down from above the hitchclimber pulley, then with one hand tend slack after 2-3 pulls, will get you up MUCH faster

also, get a foot ascender, and possibly a knee ascender (after a few climbs you will quickly realize how nice a foot ascender is, mine is an older CMI one, large and heavy but damn near bomb proof)

here's a little trick (you probably know this one) pull down from above the hitchclimber pulley, then with one hand tend slack after 2-3 pulls, will get you up MUCH faster

also, get a foot ascender, and possibly a knee ascender (after a few climbs you will quickly realize how nice a foot ascender is, mine is an older CMI one, large and heavy but damn near bomb proof)
I’ll have to try that trick- don’t know much at this point. Hard to visualize when not in the saddle. It does seem like there is a lot of “slop” in the vt Prusik. It sounds like you are talking about getting maximum travel per pull by “working” the Prusik. I’m getting a foot ascender soon as I pulled a muscle in my chest with many days of thrusting/ pulling! It was a great workout but one I wasn’t ready for yet apparently!!

I’ll have to try that trick- don’t know much at this point. Hard to visualize when not in the saddle. It does seem like there is a lot of “slop” in the vt Prusik. It sounds like you are talking about getting maximum travel per pull by “working” the Prusik. I’m getting a foot ascender soon as I pulled a muscle in my chest with many days of thrusting/ pulling! It was a great workout but one I wasn’t ready for yet apparently!!
from the picture you posted it seems your hip thrusting and pulling below the hitch, if you pull above the hitch (not messing with the hitch whatsoever) you can get 2-3ft per pull, then just tend slack with one hand (for me, both hands pull down, move one hand up, then the next, pull down again, then hold with left hand, tend slack with right hand)

from the picture you posted it seems your hip thrusting and pulling below the hitch, if you pull above the hitch (not messing with the hitch whatsoever) you can get 2-3ft per pull, then just tend slack with one hand (for me, both hands pull down, move one hand up, then the next, pull down again, then hold with left hand, tend slack with right hand)
Yes! Ok. Now I understand! Thank you so much!

Seems like zin has you well in hand. I'd like to make a suggestion for a saddle in the even you want to upgrade. I run a petzl sequoia, I've been very happy using to climb DDRT. I find it extremely comfortable to be in all day. It is pretty expensive saddle, but worth it. If your going to be using it a lot. The ones they have out now look a bit different from the one I have, and there is a SRT model as well. Anyway, just wanted to throw another option out there for you.

I would like to make a note

I am a 15 year old, newbie climber, take my advice with a grain of salt, and practice it low and slow

I have actually deleted another forum account due to this, and people whining that I dont know what im taking about (I.E someone said I cant give saw sharpening advice because ive never ran a chainsaw while climbing)

side note: every chain ive sharpened gets comments on how well it cuts, im pretty sure I can give advice on pushing a file over a piece of metal

I would like to make a note

I am a 15 year old, newbie climber, take my advice with a grain of salt, and practice it low and slow

I have actually deleted another forum account due to this, and people whining that I dont know what im taking about (I.E someone said I cant give saw sharpening advice because ive never ran a chainsaw while climbing)

side note: every chain ive sharpened gets comments on how well it cuts, im pretty sure I can give advice on pushing a file over a piece of metal
I hope my kids are on this site by age15!!

Seems like zin has you well in hand. I'd like to make a suggestion for a saddle in the even you want to upgrade. I run a petzl sequoia, I've been very happy using to climb DDRT. I find it extremely comfortable to be in all day. It is pretty expensive saddle, but worth it. If your going to be using it a lot. The ones they have out now look a bit different from the one I have, and there is a SRT model as well. Anyway, just wanted to throw another option out there for you.
Thank you Sean! It is a bit uncomfortable on the underside of my legs when sitting but feels ok when on climbers. I was hesitant to put too much money out on the first saddle but if I keep this climbing thing up, that upgrade is high on the list!

Thank you Sean! It is a bit uncomfortable on the underside of my legs when sitting but feels ok when on climbers. I was hesitant to put too much money out on the first saddle but if I keep this climbing thing up, that upgrade is high on the list!
id say, notch sentinel, thats what I run daily and its amazing

Yeah there are a lot of saddles out there, that are great. I like mine and at the current rate I climb I likely won't wear it out for years, as im not climbing trees often anymore, traded wood for steel in my case.

Back