Looking to purchase a log splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doneastman

Reaction score
Have read that the Troy-bilt line of log splitters may not be the best on the market (maybe low to med. quality????). If a guy was gonna sink about 2K$ for a ready-made splitter what would be a good brand? Am looking for at least 30-33 tons. Anyone got any suggestions as to which way to go???....don

A couple people I know of have been pleased with the ones from Tractor Supply. They seem to be durable and a pretty good value.

One guy I bought some wood from last year was logging a piece of property before they sold it to developers to be clearcut for a commercial development. He had spent two years at 40 cord/year and then two years at 80 cord/year. He hadn't had any problems or had to make any repairs on the Tractor Supply splitter in all that time and with all that wood. And he was using it like crazy, too, splitting stuff unusually small, so it had seen a lot of cycling back and forth.

doneastman said:
Have read that the Troy-bilt line of log splitters may not be the best on the market (maybe low to med. quality????).

There is no doubt that the Troy-bilt splitters are at the lower end of the scale, but I would not dismiss their durability. MTD sells their splitters under several brand names, including Troy, Cub Cadet, and Yard Machines. I have a Yard Machines 5.5 hp, 26-ton splitter that I bought slightly used three years ago. I have split well over 100 cords of hardwoods with no major problems. If you maintain them properly, they will last. It is certainly not the quality of a Timberwolf, but then again it's only one third the cost.

I bought a 22ton w/ 6.5hp Briggs & Stratton motor at TSC for $989.
Theres is nothing I have fed it so far it can't split easily. Do you really need 30 + tons of splitting force??? They have them at TSC...least expensive one around split great. Huskee is thier brand, probably made by MTD as well.

same here on the TSC husky model.

i have the same 22 ton 6.5 horse and it has split 30-50 cords since last year.no problems.i think the troy built one at lowes is better made though.

I have the 35 ton splitter from TSC. It works great. Makes easy work of those knotty logs. The only thing that I might add is an electric starter to the 12.5 hp engine to help on those cold days.

Bad E said:
I bought a 22ton w/ 6.5hp Briggs & Stratton motor at TSC for $989.
Theres is nothing I have fed it so far it can't split easily. Do you really need 30 + tons of splitting force??? They have them at TSC...least expensive one around split great. Huskee is thier brand, probably made by MTD as well.

Made by SpeeCO nowadays, they used to be made by MTD.

Buy a timber wolf tw-p1.Very well built log splitters.Thats what Iam going to get .:rock: :rock:

I purchased the Troy Built 26 ton with a 5.5hp Honda engine on it from Lowes last year and couldn't be happier. Splits logs bigger than my truck tires with ease. I paid barely over a grand for it. Signed up for there credit card. Got an instant 20% off and just paid it off when it came in and cancelled the card!

Back