Lost a day

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Lost a day due dto a a $5.00 part. All bundled up to go split wood, on second pull of the cord it backfired, yanked handle ou of my hand for a direct hit on the plastic shutoff on the fuel line. Broke it off course. Took me an hour fooling around trying to get the fuel line disconnected - finally cut the line off both sides of what remained of he shut-off. Great - two different size barbed fittings, 1/4" and something smaller (?3/16?). Engineer brain child for sure!!. another hour shot looking in town for an answer, double barb mender with diffrerent size barbs - no such critter. Call the Honda dealer. "sure come on over and I'll fix you up"...uhuh. 60 mile round trip ended with a handfull of barbs, bell reducer (not needed) and new shut off.

Haven't tried fitting it in yet but should be no proglem if I can get the hoses connected in hte morning.

Loss of aday is going to hurt. We only hae 4 more days of dry weather before a week of wet settles in. I still havve about 4 cord of rounds to process.

If it"s plastic type (tygon )fuel pipe with only & 1/16diferance in spigot fitting size I have in the past fitted 3/16 ID pipe on a 1/4 spigot by soaking the end of the pipe in boiling water for a couple of minutes & pushing over while still extra flexi

Turnkey4009
I feel your pain I have a fair amount of parts at the farm and have put 1/4 inch gas hose on smaller metric fittings many times and just clamp it down good with a good clamp. I had to do that this fall for my combine guys. It got cold around here early and they were having problems with there fuel in the combine one night so in the morning the operator decided he would change the fuel filter before he got going. He bumped a return special plastic fitting that had a couple sizes on it and it broke in the cold. I had taken a load of corn to the terminal early so I wasn't there when this happen. I always help haul when they combine to save some money. They called the dealers 80 miles away and he would have to over night the fitting. These are a couple young brothers still learning. I get back saw what had happen went into my parts bin and started pulling fitting and got some 3/8 gas line and clamps and pieced together some fittings and hose to get it running. They were amazed it worked but I have farmed and worked maintenance job in town for 40 years. These two have grown up around a dad that does zero work on equipment and just calls the dealer. We had bad weather coming in again here too so I didn't want them setting a day with my beans in the field.

It went on right easy after I found spring clamp that would 'work'. The largest on of the 8 I bought yesterday. Didn't seem quit tight enough on the smallesst hose but filled he gas tank and no leaks. I came in after 2 hours to do a bit of warm up and I'll be back out for another hour in a few minutes.

Turnkey4009
I feel your pain I have a fair amount of parts at the farm and have put 1/4 inch gas hose on smaller metric fittings many times and just clamp it down good with a good clamp. I had to do that this fall for my combine guys. It got cold around here early and they were having problems with there fuel in the combine one night so in the morning the operator decided he would change the fuel filter before he got going. He bumped a return special plastic fitting that had a couple sizes on it and it broke in the cold. I had taken a load of corn to the terminal early so I wasn't there when this happen. I always help haul when they combine to save some money. They called the dealers 80 miles away and he would have to over night the fitting. These are a couple young brothers still learning. I get back saw what had happen went into my parts bin and started pulling fitting and got some 3/8 gas line and clamps and pieced together some fittings and hose to get it running. They were amazed it worked but I have farmed and worked maintenance job in town for 40 years. These two have grown up around a dad that does zero work on equipment and just calls the dealer. We had bad weather coming in again here too so I didn't want them setting a day with my beans in the field.
@rancher2 I'm not trying to belittle or bash your combining guys, but I just don't see how you can farm and do things that way, my ex father- in-law was the same way as those guys, when I'd go done there and he broke something I'd do the same as you did, some farmboy engineering, I've helped farm, done AG dirt work and tiling and been a mechanic but farming and dirt work you dont have time to wait for the dealer and it costs you tons in lost profit, you have get it going again, just gotta use that thing god put on our shoulder for something more than a place to hold your cap on.

Cumminstinkerer
Your right I have always did my own repairs as I never had the money to buy new or have the dealer do the repairs. These brothers 34 and 44 grew up with a dad that had inherit a fair amount of ground early in age and always has had new equipment and when there was a problem they called the dealer. There doing custom work for me as I had shoulder surgery this spring and it knock me out during planting so they planted for me and there set up is different setting than mind so there doing my combining and I hauled for them all fall. Its different working around folks if they have a flat on the semi they run it to town I fix my own. Only reason they would help this spring was there picking up a lot of ground next year and they had already been buying equipment so it worked out for all of us.

@rancher2 good deal that it worked out, I've never had new anything either, hell my old 79 powerwagon has the least miles of any vehicle I own at 113,000, my old diesel is at 312,00 and going strong. I just can't figure out how guys make the other work less the inherit a bunch. Heck I burn wood because even working a full time job in town I can't afford the LP to heat the old little farm house. you guys out in that flat land sure have good crops though so might be easier, right in here in norhtern madison county we have goos CSR but kinda hilly patch farms, 160 acres is a big field, and then you get the guys with daddy's money coming in renting and jacking the prices up for land, hurts the smaller guys for sure.

Back