Lost cir clip on wrist pin

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billyboy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was putting in a cir clip on a meteor 48 mm piston wrist pin when it shot across the room and I can't find it.
Don't want to stress the one I already installed by removing it and measuring the diameter and thickness. Could someone tell me the diameter and thickness of a meteor cir clip for a 48 mm piston in a 036?

Not saying this is correct but this is most likely what i would do. If the Clip from the old piston fits I would run that one. I'm only admitting this so someone else who knows more about this can speak up and correct me.

I, for one, don’t run old clips and don’t run cheap clips.

Having spares on hand is the best way. Occasionally a clip gets stressed on a faulty installation. That one comes out and another goes in.

Bump

Just measure the diameter, should be 10mm, but maybe 12 mm. Just go get a handful from your closest dealer, shouldnt be much more than $1 each

I emailed the guy I bought it from and he said it was a 10 x .8 mm. There was a noticable difference between the original Stihl and the Meteor clips. I would never reuse the old Stihl. Could someone tell me the proper placement of the cir clip opening? I've seen both 6 and 12 o'clock in my search. I made a mental note when I took it apart, guess I was supposed to write it down, but early onset has come by again. Thanks for the replies.

I emailed the guy I bought it from and he said it was a 10 x .8 mm. There was a noticable difference between the original Stihl and the Meteor clips. I would never reuse the old Stihl. Could someone tell me the proper placement of the cir clip opening? I've seen both 6 and 12 o'clock in my search. I made a mental note when I took it apart, guess I was supposed to write it down, but early onset has come by again. Thanks for the replies.

The STIHL manuals that I have seen say "opening to top or bottom" , so I would say at 12 or 6 o'clock.

The meteor clip is typically thicker than the oem clip, but the old oem clip is very good quality and should fit in the groove just fine.

The Stihl factory C clip tool puts the opening at the 12 o’clock position FWIW.

A magnet on a stick and a walk through your shop may help you find that clip. One time I looked for hours only to find the clip had jumps up and got caught in the rim of my baseball hat. Wear eye protection.

If you’ll be doing a lot of saw work, the Stihl factory 10/12mm clip tools are worth their weight in gold/bandaids/stiches and F-bombs.

I apologize for steering the thread off course but I have a question. I don't remember which saw I was working on so don't ask . I had to change the piston and the clip had no ears and the piston had no "notch out". I had chassed that clip round and round in the grove for maybe 20 minutes . I used picks screwdrivers a whole bunch of different tools trying to get one end up out of the grove but no luck .
Maybe the clip was the wrong one who knows? I ended up taking a Dremel wheel and wearing it down on a scrap piece of steel to get it small enough to fit in the 10 mm hole. Then I took the wheel and ground about 1/2 way through the clip so I could weaken it enough to bend it in upon itself so I could get a grip on it. Then it came out easy as pie. What was the correct way to get the clip out?

I apologize for steering the thread off course but I have a question. I don't remember which saw I was working on so don't ask . I had to change the piston and the clip had no ears and the piston had no "notch out". I had chassed that clip round and round in the grove for maybe 20 minutes . I used picks screwdrivers a whole bunch of different tools trying to get one end up out of the grove but no luck .
Maybe the clip was the wrong one who knows? I ended up taking a Dremel wheel and wearing it down on a scrap piece of steel to get it small enough to fit in the 10 mm hole. Then I took the wheel and ground about 1/2 way through the clip so I could weaken it enough to bend it in upon itself so I could get a grip on it. Then it came out easy as pie. What was the correct way to get the clip out?
Stihl oem clips don't have an ear. I'm guessing someone installed a tab with no ear into a piston designed for a clip with an ear

I keep all old clips for just in case. I have had a few fly away to la la land. I bought a small set of really long needle nose pliers to remove/install the clips. Pliers are not much larger than a set of toenail trimmers, but the nose is long and thin. I am reminded of a old buddy years ago rebuilding a Muncie 4speed. Nobody back then had any money to by new parts so new needle bearings where out of the question. He dropped a needle bearing and a chicken pecked it up as soon as it hit the ground. He followed that chicken around all day until it finally pooped out the bearing. True story and He and I were'nt the only one's to see it.

Back