Lot Clearing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electrictrimmer

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a customer who wants 1-2 acres cleared for a view. I personally have never done a job this large, so I don't know where to begin. The land is moderatley sloping. I have a big husky that I plan to use for the job. What do you think would be the best way to get the wood out of the woods to a landing. I thought a skidsteer might get it done, but I have never operated one. I have a log buyer that will come and get the logs, I just need to get them to the road, which isn't far, less than 100 yards. Let me know what you think

If you're gonna skid logs, then get a log skidder- its what they were designed to do. A skid steer will quickly get high-centered, a tractor will do it, but is slow and dangerous.:cheers:

If you're gonna skid logs, then get a log skidder- its what they were designed to do. A skid steer will quickly get high-centered, a tractor will do it, but is slow and dangerous.:cheers:

Skidders are expensive specialized equipment. If this is the biggest job you have ever done I am guessing you wouldnt have long term use for a skidder. And at least around here skidders are hard to sell to to the slow down in the timber industry. I would advise hiring a skidder with driver (I have a friend locally that does this on the weekends for cash), which can come in after you have started dropping trees so you will be able to stay ahead of him. Or look into renting/leaseing a tractor and winch, or even buy the winch and sell it after, used winches seem to be in high demand. It shouldnt take very long to pull a couple of acres worth of wood when the turn is only 100 yards.

Last edited:
I have a customer who wants 1-2 acres cleared for a view. I personally have never done a job this large, so I don't know where to begin. The land is moderatley sloping. I have a big husky that I plan to use for the job. What do you think would be the best way to get the wood out of the woods to a landing. I thought a skidsteer might get it done, but I have never operated one. I have a log buyer that will come and get the logs, I just need to get them to the road, which isn't far, less than 100 yards. Let me know what you think

We typically clear one acre for around 6K. That is 5 guys with a backhoe, skid steer, and dump truck. This price includes removal of stumps and the logs. The skid steer is definitely where it is at for moving the logs. We can finish in one day.

Thanks for all the imput. I do know someone with a skidder, but I figured if I could do it by renting a bobcat for the day then it would be cheaper.

skidsteers arent good in the woods. they get hung up on stumps. they tear the hell outa the ground and then get stuck in the mud. if you were to rent somthing i would suggest a small dozer. check over the ones that are availible for good points to hook to on the back.

also check around for loggers who are slow on work, you might get one to move thier machine over for a day and yard all the wood up in a day.

We (2 man crew) are cutting and skidding around 5Kbf per day. That is a log truck with about 1-1.5Kbf left over per day. I do 95% of the cutting; he is learning how to run the tractor. Have not had a problem yet. I guess it is due to using antique tractors and knowing how to use them. Our turns are around 1,000 yrds one way. What was nice about today we were running sycamore logs that went 800+bf per log. Not bad for a 1952 John Deere A and 1959 John Deere 530. It is all on how you use them. If you were closer we could have it all pulled on less than a day. Skidders are expensive and repairs are even worse. I can preform 99% of any repair that needs done on my tractors. Ask Ohiowoodguy about costs of skidder repair. He just had his redone. A 35hp tractor should be able to pull 300 bf easy.

Ray

Last edited:
:bang: Since the JD 440B uses many of the same parts as the tractors, its no more expensive. Most parts are still available thru the dealer. There's also several "skidder junkyards" for discontinued parts.:D

I use a skid steer for skidding and it works great with a few pointers:

1. Wheeled skid steers in soft ground are a really bad idea - be prepared to spend time pulling yourself out. If the ground is soft you need tracks

2. Wheeled skid steers on firm ground are amazing at maneuvering - nothing else can weave a tight path the way a skid steer can

3. Simply hooking 4+ chains to the top of a bucket and dragging trees backwards is very safe and very efficient (given solid ground). Very easy, very cheap.

4. Don't forget forks if you need to lift the logs.

5. Be careful, once you get the hang of operating a skid steer you will feel compelled to go buy one.

What size and type of wood are you talking about?

A decent sized backhoe (100hp+) will get it done with some cable chokers or chains. They have good ground clearance and a low center of gravity. You can also bunch the logs for choking and move stuff around with the hoe. Forks in the front help too.

A decent sized backhoe (100hp+) will get it done with some cable chokers or chains. They have good ground clearance and a low center of gravity. You can also bunch the logs for choking and move stuff around with the hoe. Forks in the front help too.

I did that while ago... It was fun.It was on a Case 580L. Get a Case...easy to turn-short wheelbase and not top heavy. I'd rather be using a D6R with SU blade tho. No 6 ways for me,unless it's a small dozer.My fav for "slightly sloping" is a Dresser 125E/G (TD-8 or 9s bro,so not really top heavy) with a winch and 4-n-1. And yes, I will take a a 125G anwhere a TD-8 can go.:yoyo:

Every rubber tire back hoe I have ever been on is top heavy and not good for skidding.
Good for digging stumps though. Especially once you get the hang of moving the tractor with the boom.

Every rubber tire back hoe I have ever been on is top heavy and not good for skidding.
Good for digging stumps though. Especially once you get the hang of moving the tractor with the boom.

I've been using a New Holland LB110 as a skidder for about 6 or 7 years now. The tires are all fluid filled so plenty of weight (boss hasn't sprung for foam yet). I mostly do lot clearings and selective cuttings of snags and bs that nobody wants to mess with. I've never run a skidder myself so I don't know how they would compare.

Unless your moving tree length logs to the landing a CTL with a grapple would work..

If your moving tree length logs, I recommend a tractor.

Hey Junior, you came from LS? It's Ozz from LS. And you guys are still dissin me over what I said about the 953,aren't ya?:laugh:

Yeah, I been here for a while. tree work with equipment is where its at.. :cheers:

And I dont know if they are or not. I been on vacation and aint really been around there even before that.

Video on Schaffer telehandler in pine thinnings

Hey Electrictrimmer,

Does your customer just want the big stuff thinned out so he can get a better view or the whole lot bulldozer over?
I would think if you bring in a massive dozer it might wreck the area? (Unless it's going to be turned into pasture).

Maybe this would be the go? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KIGvTay2zc

Cheers,
Cam

Back