Low cc working saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foeke

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi guys and girls,
We have a small firewood operaton going on here in Germany.
Just about 60 m3 per year for neighbours and ourselfs.
Most of the time my wife joins in, but she is just not able to cold start our 50cc 353. Which I think is almost the easiest to start in the world. 3 Pulls when it is not freezing.
Now I am looking for a work saw that has enough power to get stuff done (we only proces hard woods, mainly white oak). That is easy to work on. But also easy to start and light (5kg or less).
Prefferably with a small husky mount or the same mount as a stihl 200T.
The stihl 200t it self is great (when the carb is in order), but it's just not safe enough to work on the ground with a 1 hander.
I'm looking at a used 339xp, or a ms201 (to expensive) .
And none of the people I know are happy with their 543xp, which I thought would be the logic addition.
Maybe there are worksaws I miss because the producer markets them as "Farmer saws" for example. Or does Dolkita or Shindaiwa have a nice option I just never heard of?
Any input is appreciated!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G955F met Tapatalk

Is the easystart more than having a primer bulb? That would make things more interesting.
3,8hp is also very usefull. But then again a bit less weight would also be nice. Is the 421 the same as a 420? And or the Makita ea 4300? 421 isn't being sold here.
I see the 4200 and the 5105 are only 200g apart.
Thats not a very convincing power to weight ratio.

The 5105 does not start as easily as the 421. Not even close.

Get her a 421. It is ridiculously easy to start. And a very nice saw to run.

Yes, 420,421,4300 are all the same saw.

The easy start is a spring-assisted recoil. The 420’s works perfectly, the 5105’s not so much.

There’s a video around somewhere of a small child starting a 421

Get that 420 with lopro chain...

Merci beaucoup!
That's valuable information.

One of my local dealers had a MS 200 rear handle still in stock in the back. Maybe if you check around, you could find one of them. I've been using a MS200T for brush clearing (taking the tops off so I can cut the sumps out with a brush cutter.), and cutting stuff down into firewood. In up to 8" wood, it'll outcut my husky 365. The big husky vibrates the wood too much to keep up with the MS200t.

If you're not doing terribly much, maybe a battery operated dewalt, milwaukee, makita, echo, stihl, etc would be the ticket. Or if close to the house or other power source, an electric chainsaw.

I like the electric Idea. But not as a work saw. She needs a bit more speed.
Less then about 2HP would be annoying I think ( or the electrical equivalent wich in reality isn't divide by 1,36 (ask any EV owner)).

I did want a ms200 for myself. I used one a couple of years ago, and loved it. Unfortunately I have a MS200t, so I know that a bit to often it just doesn't run like it is suposed to because something is up with the carb. Sometimes it just needs a retune, sometimes new membranes, but everytime I do use it, I feel the reluctance to take it of the shelf, because it might not run right.
Is that 3600 anything close to professional?

I like the electric Idea. But not as a work saw. She needs a bit more speed.
Less then about 2HP would be annoying I think ( or the electrical equivalent wich in reality isn't divide by 1,36 (ask any EV owner)).

I did want a ms200 for myself. I used one a couple of years ago, and loved it. Unfortunately I have a MS200t, so I know that a bit to often it just doesn't run like it is suposed to because something is up with the carb. Sometimes it just needs a retune, sometimes new membranes, but everytime I do use it, I feel the reluctance to take it of the shelf, because it might not run right.
Is that 3600 anything close to professional?

Hi Foeke,

the problem with the carb ms200 is a know issue, the solution is to put a gasket between the cylinder and the carb, these gaskets are the same as a stihl ms180

If you're looking for a nice chainsaw i can advise you the shindaiwa 385, i have one here for sale (Belgium)

The 5105 does not start as easily as the 421. Not even close.

Get her a 421. It is ridiculously easy to start. And a very nice saw to run.

Yes, 420,421,4300 are all the same saw.

The easy start is a spring-assisted recoil. The 420’s works perfectly, the 5105’s not so much.

There’s a video around somewhere of a small child starting a 421

Get that 420 with lopro chain...
Hadn't heard of any 5105 starting issues. Mine works good: as advertised.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

The solution is to put a gasket between the cylinder and the carb, these gaskets are the same as a stihl ms180
Thanks a bunch, I'm going to give that a try.

The shindaiwa 385, i have one here for sale (Belgium)

Are you sure about the digits? Google nor Shindaiwa seem to know that saw.
Cheers!

Hadn't heard of any 5105 starting issues. Mine works good: as advertised.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk
I think he was just saying comparatively. But I must say, having had both, they're both pretty easy to live with. The best assisted recoil I've sampled.

Yes. Comparatively.

For those who haven’t lived with a 420/421/4300 you don’t know how unbelievably easy it is to start. Especially once warm. Then it’s just as easy as having electric start.

There is a video somewhere where a small girl (9yo??) starts one. That is real.

If you’re looking for an easy saw to start, that is the one.

Vroom, vroom.

Hi Foeke, Please don't take anything I say wrong, Does your 353 have a Decomp Valve?

Granted my user name "Husky Man" refers to more than just my preference in saws, at 6'0"/265# nobody has ever called me Petite;), Like you, I find the 353 to be one of the easiest starting saws that I have ever owned or ran, I almost feel guilty using the decomp valve:rolleyes:. Choke on, 1 pull, choke off then on then off to set the high idle, then 1 or 2 more pulls from a dead cold, and it is running. My "Old Reliable" 266XP is about the only saw I have that starts even more predictably, but with a harder pull, 66.7cc, No decomp valve, but a Very Reliable 28 year old saw.

If your 353's do have decomp valves, I really don't know of anything that will give you the performance that you want, and be any easier to start.

You may just have to start her saw for the first time each day until it warms up, how does she do with Hot Starting the 353?

Those 353's are Great saws in my experience, I think that they are one of Husqvarna's Best Kept Secrets:)

Good Luck Finding your Wife a Suitable Saw,

Doug :cheers:

The Echo CS-361P was the closest I could find to a MS201CEM without spending $700. It's easy to start, lighter than the 201, and has pretty good power. Plastic case, but otherwise all the pro features.
20190209_125643.jpg

The 421/4300 is probably easier to start, but feels a lot heavier.

Back