Low compression on my new Stihl MS362

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You ordered a 362 due to this thread just to see for yourself? This thread would lean me to get a 462, which can cut well out of the box and is a beast once broken in. The only issue is its pushing 1200 bucks after tax

You ordered a 362 due to this thread just to see for yourself? This thread would lean me to get a 462, which can cut well out of the box and is a beast once broken in. The only issue is its pushing 1200 bucks after tax
Well, I ordered a 362 because I got a really good deal on one. But I am curious to see how it runs and what the compression reading would be. I got another call from the seller and they found another 362 at another location so I may still get one. I'm sure the 462 is a beast but it is expensive! And, I already have an 064 and an 066.

Jftr. My older model MS362 is a Cadillac of a 60cc saw. It is very nice to run with excellent power characteristics and smoooth :bowdown:

This thread sheds bad light on the 362. They are a proven saw that is quite popular among pros in western Canada for a limbing and smallish timber-falling saw. I don’t know wtf is wrong with James Sawyer’s saw, but that problem is entirely uncharacteristic of MS362’s of only a couple of short years ago..maybe this newest model incarnation is different, idk :dizzy:

Yes...but its only few 11 oz more then 362.

At this point i'm ready to buy him a new used saw with the help of some others here! Anyone got a beat up good runner 60-70 cc?

I think I could find 20 - 30 fairly easily.
Mityvac makes a compression test kit that has the 10 mm hose with the schrader valve in the very end like needed, they are designed for two stroke engines. Check out Mityvac 5530

Well I’m VERY happy to hear this.

You’ve certainly tried to get it sorted out. Let “Uncle Andreas” solve it...

Keep us posted...,
Man I feel bad for this guy,he may be stuck with a saw he can’t use & has good enough character not to pass on problem to someone else. I am just curious about not pulling muffler l mean if you are careful and don’t tear gasket around outer cover how would dealer even know? Usually on a new saw I tighten all screws a little or at least check them. I had to laugh at former post about Uncle Andreas as my Argentine friends use this same phrase for Adolph.

Ok. So scratch all this. I placed the order yesterday at a very, very good price point. Just now I received word that their stock was sold out and that I would get a refund. Bummer.
Apparently they were able to find another 362 at another location so I now have a brand new MS 362 C-M in my hand. I haven't even put gas in it yet. I wasn't able to find an M10 adapter for my compression tester. It was on back order. So all I can say right now is that the compression feels fine when pulling the cord, but that doesn't mean much.

What's up Moto!? I should have known that you were on this forum with all the milling you have been doing. :) This is PGK from weldingweb, I may have to pick your brain on possibly getting into some small scale milling, didn't mean to hijack this thread. I hope James gets his 362 figured out..

Pete

... On their 1st cuts they found the same thing I found, the saw didn't have any power if they loaded the saw the chain would stop. ... .

Today a friend told me his older style MS362 Mtronic was sick - had no power and he asked me to run it. Sure enough any pressure and the motor would lug and the chain would stop. It had a fresh sharp chain. Cranked, idled and ran fine if you kept a slight lift. Left on its own or with any pressure it would quit. He didn’t want to try to recalibrate; he is going to the dealer on Monday. I will report back.

IDK fo sho but I heard the 362 has better low end torque and the 361 revs better? Not positive of this but wait and see.

That has been my experience. I have a 036Pro and a 361. Until recently, I also had two non-M 362s. The 362s definitely had more torque. Also got great fuel usage. The 036 and 361 were very similar and seem to have a higher cutting speed though I have little time on the 361 in stock trim. I had the 361 ported by Terry Landrum. It came back a new animal and is now my go to small saw. I sold the two 362s as I had planned to buy a 462. Holding out for a 500i now. Kept the 036 only because it has been trouble free from day one many years ago - like an old friend.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back