Low compression on my new Stihl MS362

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am running a new Stihl RS chain in the video. I usually run Oregon 75 LPX. They are similar and perform about the same.

Yeah, shipping your gauge to me will take a while and cost more than it's worth since I'm in Sweden. :) I was unable to locate the correct adapter for my gauge so I will go out a buy a new gauge just to get this compression question settled once and for all...
Daniel you look a bit younger than your age in your profile. Hope I look that good at 118.:laugh:

I am running a new Stihl RS chain in the video. I usually run Oregon 75 LPX. They are similar and perform about the same.

Yeah, shipping your gauge to me will take a while and cost more than it's worth since I'm in Sweden. :) I was unable to locate the correct adapter for my gauge so I will go out a buy a new gauge just to get this compression question settled once and for all...

My new never started 362cm other than tested at stihl had 150psi.
e41efbaed406924796cccbbec410c410.jpg

James, you are offering to ship your compression tester? So you have the right adapter hose now? If so, what compression are you getting? My new 462 went from 120psi with the hollow (wrong) adapter to 160psi with the correct hose adapter. The other thing i've noticed throughout this whole thread is that farmer steve sure does like a lot of posts.

James, you are offering to ship your compression tester? So you have the right adapter hose now? If so, what compression are you getting? My new 462 went from 120psi with the hollow (wrong) adapter to 160psi with the correct hose adapter. The other thing i've noticed throughout this whole thread is that farmer steve sure does like a lot of posts.
:surprised3:

He has recieved a lot of likes so it is good for him to give some of them back to us.

Save your money - nothing on AS is ever settled once and for all. Ron

That's a perfect example of what I think this saw should run like. Can you check the compression for me...I would be so interested in what your getting. Fact If you didn't have a gauge I would ship you mine...just to know what you have?

So, the verdict is in. My 362 is right at 150 psi after 2 tanks of gas. The tester is probably not the best quality but it seems ok. At least the valve is at the bottom of the long hose.
DSC_0545.JPG
My 361 came in at 155 - 160 psi. It had 165 psi using my old tester. So it seems to me that my new saw has at least 150 psi of compression and that there is enough information in this thread that Stihl should fix you saw.

I've always had the adapter (hollow passage type with no Schrader in the 10mm adapter) . On the end of my hose has a fitting with a Schrader, the 10mm adapter threads on to the Schrader fitting on the end of the hose. The gauge has a pressure lease at the gauge. I trust my gauge its a US made compression gauge, but I have to be honest the Schrader fitting has threaded into every thing I've had to test. This is the 1st time I've had to use a adapter. As soon as I get a chance I'm going to install a Schrader into my 10mm adapter. I lucked out the bore in the adapter is smaller then the Schrader tap...so I just need get on the lath and tap the bore and add the valve. I have everything but the time to get into the machine shop. The Schrader tap is tough to get a hold of, they are expensive...non standard threads. I hope what I have will work. The 10mm adapter I have is brass so shouldn't be to bad. I just bought one of those all propose valve stem tool which has the tap, I figure it should be good for at least this one bore. It appears that's what a lot people have been doing on my research trying to find a Schrader tap. The bore in my adapter isn't that big so I can image it changing my compression that much.

So, the verdict is in. My 362 is right at 150 psi after 2 tanks of gas. The tester is probably not the best quality but it seems ok. At least the valve is at the bottom of the long hose.
View attachment 730389
My 361 came in at 155 - 160 psi. It had 165 psi using my old tester. So it seems to me that my new saw has at least 150 psi of compression and that there is enough information in this thread that Stihl should fix you saw.

Well I get 110 psi hot, both shops that ran test get 110psi hot, only one shop ran a cold compression test and it was 120PSI cold...110psi hot. My saw I would say only had about a tank of fuel ran thru it... my hour meter show 1 hour total run time on the saw. I've never added fuel. The shop of purchase filled it, tuned it...this fuel was what I've ran the saw on cutting two trees. The second shop dump this fuel...they didn't like it said it smelled funny, Any way they re-fueled my saw and I ran my test cuts on this fuel. I will need to fuel the saw next time I run it. The shop of purchase has a very similar gauge to mine, the second shop I have no idea what they have.

Well I get 110 psi hot, both shops that ran test get 110psi hot, only one shop ran a cold compression test and it was 120PSI cold...110psi hot. My saw I would say only had about a tank of fuel ran thru it... my hour meter show 1 hour total run time on the saw. I've never added fuel. The shop of purchase filled it, tuned it...this fuel was what I've ran the saw on cutting two trees. The second shop dump this fuel...they didn't like it said it smelled funny, Any way they re-fueled my saw and I ran my test cuts on this fuel. I will need to fuel the saw next time I run it. The shop of purchase has a very similar gauge to mine, the second shop I have no idea what they have.
Do you have the saw or does Stihl shop still have saw?

I've always had the adapter (hollow passage type with no Schrader in the 10mm adapter) . On the end of my hose has a fitting with a Schrader, the 10mm adapter threads on to the Schrader fitting on the end of the hose. The gauge has a pressure lease at the gauge. I trust my gauge its a US made compression gauge, but I have to be honest the Schrader fitting has threaded into every thing I've had to test. This is the 1st time I've had to use a adapter. As soon as I get a chance I'm going to install a Schrader into my 10mm adapter. I lucked out the bore in the adapter is smaller then the Schrader tap...so I just need get on the lath and tap the bore and add the valve. I have everything but the time to get into the machine shop. The Schrader tap is tough to get a hold of, they are expensive...non standard threads. I hope what I have will work. The 10mm adapter I have is brass so shouldn't be to bad. I just bought one of those all propose valve stem tool which has the tap, I figure it should be good for at least this one bore. It appears that's what a lot people have been doing on my research trying to find a Schrader tap. The bore in my adapter isn't that big so I can image it changing my compression that much.

Instead of adding a schrader to your existing adapter which isn't tremendously easy as you not only have to tap the threads for the valve and then you must machine the correct seat for the valve. If you look at any schrader valve (old bicycle tube) you'll find the seat is part of the valve stem. See photo below...

An easier option would be to fill your existing adapter up with JB weld or other epoxy and then drill a 1/16" hole through the epoxy. This would allow airflow and reduce the excess volume considerably.

Attachments

• IMG_5982.JPG
    IMG_5982.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 33
Watching FS "Like" posts is better than reading a lot of the threads , except oil threads & stuff like this one

Instead of adding a schrader to your existing adapter which isn't tremendously easy as you not only have to tap the threads for the valve and then you must machine the correct seat for the valve. If you look at any schrader valve (old bicycle tube) you'll find the seat is part of the valve stem. See photo below...

An easier option would be to fill your existing adapter up with JB weld or other epoxy and then drill a 1/16" hole through the epoxy. This would allow airflow and reduce the excess volume considerably.

Did you just do this cutaway? Cool if you did

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back