Low cost gas Chainsaws 42 cc and smaller.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wow

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
My first cheap Chainsaw was a small McCullough. No chain brake. Gas tank had a heavy felt wick which supplied fuel in awkward positions. It cut good but was scary. Another McCullough an Eager Beaver had a chain brake. It cut good but no anti-vibration. Very loud saw. Then a Sthil 024 came along about 1993-4. My first anti-vibration. Today at age 70, I felled a huge Sweet Gum with my Echo 590. Bucked most of it using my modded 029 Sthil and limbed it using my CS 310 for small limbs and the Sthil 024 for big limbs just because it's faster.
Recently I bought new anti-vibration parts and new Impulse and fuel lines for my old Sthil 026 which with Muffler Modification screams. I bought chain guards and fuel caps for both the 024 and 026. Replaced their fuel caps. Found that the 029 fuel caps look good and fit. That's what they now have and I like them better than the black stock caps.
Looking back, 25+ years ago I've decided the Sthils and both Echo's are the most economical saws I've ever bought because I've never had to replace a saw. Maintenance has been very little. Only recently have I bought saw parts. I've found parts for my old Sthils are easy to come by and Echo saws may be the same.
Cheap reconditioned under 100 dollar off brand Chainsaws sounds like fun. I've been looking on line but can't force myself to buy another toy not sure if parts would be available. My guess is some saws you use until they break then throw away. I don't need another saw but maybe something close to my 026 in power would be fun. Maybe a reconditioned Echo, or Husqvarna under 250 bucks but not sure about other brands. Has anyone found cheap refurbished saws they can find parts for that's not a name brand? Kinda wondering.

Some of the Ex rental "Dolkita" ( Dolmar /Makita) can be a good deal really depends on if they have several saws & allow you to choose i f it's a bring it out from the back store & dump it on the counter I'd pass

What is it yer after? a project saw to tinker with? or a newer saw to add to the flock?

Newer saws you get what you pay for.

fixer uppers, stick with stihl, husqvarna, dolmar/makita, echo, shindowa. as long as there is a servicing dealer near by, which is why most of the other off brands are throw away saws, poulan, craftsman, homelite etc, they break you search for parts, get pissed and buy stihl or husky.

Hit up yer local dealer, if you looking for a project they likely have something lurking in the back that needs work, but parts are available. (often times parts and labor cost as much as a new saw, so folks just buy a new saw... but if yer ok with the smell of 2 smoke and durty fingers...)

What is it yer after? a project saw to tinker with? or a newer saw to add to the flock?

Newer saws you get what you pay for.

fixer uppers, stick with stihl, husqvarna, dolmar/makita, echo, shindowa. as long as there is a servicing dealer near by, which is why most of the other off brands are throw away saws, poulan, craftsman, homelite etc, they break you search for parts, get pissed and buy stihl or husky.

Hit up yer local dealer, if you looking for a project they likely have something lurking in the back that needs work, but parts are available. (often times parts and labor cost as much as a new saw, so folks just buy a new saw... but if yer ok with the smell of 2 smoke and durty fingers...)

Thanks, you sure are right. I'm getting tired of fixing up saws, barns, houses and supporting women. I'm probably gonna fix a few Sthils and stop with old saws. My favorite regular everyday saw is my old Sthil 026. It's a good saw but every few years I need a new toy. Instead of projects I may buy a new saw. One as light as strong and cuts as well as the 026. Probably an Echo. Maybe an 490. Not sure. I'm thinking the 400 Echo can't do what the 026 can. It's a lot cheaper but now that the worn out old woman is gone I can afford a 500 dollar saw. Do you have experience with the Echo 400 or 490?
Think I'll Google some saw info. Thanks again.

Haven't played with many Echo's, those I have played with seemed to run pretty good.

The modern version of an 026, would be the ms261 more of a pro saw, so its a touch heavier, but pulls better then its "homeowner" variant the ms250 or even the ms291, but cost right around $500 new

Ran my poor ole ms260 right into the ground after 10 years of fire wood and logging with it, still runs, but its gettin rattles in places where rattles shouldn't be

I feel ya. My 026 needs carb cleaning, fuel Impulse line.
I'm going to call my Echo dealer and find out when they have that 1 day a year 20% off sale. Then I'll buy a 490. Have a nice day

You'll like the 490, nice 50cc saw.

Another lightweight saw in the 40cc range and affordable would be Husqvarna 440.
After tune and sharp chain of course mine cuts great and doesn't kill the back.
It won't cut with the 490 but use it often.

You'll like the 490, nice 50cc saw.

Another lightweight saw in the 40cc range and affordable would be Husqvarna 440.
After tune and sharp chain of course mine cuts great and doesn't kill the back.
It won't cut with the 490 but use it often.

I based up the old 024 today. Adjusted the carb and what a joy that thing is. I first saw ( laid eyes on it) back in 1993. It was new then and was not mine. We were building my present home. The old guy left it here. I put it away and he died and of course, never returned. Several years later after no one showed up for the saw I contacted his widow. She said keep it. That saw sat for years. After a new gas line the muffler mod a chain and bar, its cutting like new. What I like best is the old chain screw on front. Those never fail. Chain cover is metal. I'd guess it's worth 300$ even now. Have a great day.

I second the 490, I have one and love it. It pains me that I had to put it in the classifieds here, but hey I hope someone gets to love it for awhile.

I second the 490, I have one and love it. It pains me that I had to put it in the classifieds here, but hey I hope someone gets to love it for awhile.
I'm using my 490 daily except Easter Sunday. I have several side leaning trees to remove and out of respect for the house next door the lady ask me not to run saws on Sunday. Danged, what a boring day Easter was. This baby is gone and I got another one today. I was windy so I used a pull rope. The 490 was perfect for the 22 inch stuff.

Attachments

• IMG_20180331_171647_952.jpg
    IMG_20180331_171647_952.jpg
    564.5 KB · Views: 8
I think you'd really like an 025 or ms250. To me they feel significantly lighter and easier to handle then an 026. I feel like am taking a brake when switching to an 025 from even a slightly larger saw. They have fairly snappy throttle response with a 16" bar either .325 or 3/8 picco. Have an Echo cs400, muffler modded as is the 025. Very nice smooth little saw but as almost always the Stihls geometry works significantly more comfortably for me to handle for an extended amount of work. The 025 feels significantly more powerful also and my experience with their reliability is tops. Used 025's seem to be cheaper then ms 250's and to tell the truth I haven't run 250's much, I think the 025 might be a little better runner all stock on the count of emissions. Last I knowed ms 250's were still available and on sale under $300 with a warranty new which makes it a great value IMO.

I think you'd really like an 025 or ms250. To me they feel significantly lighter and easier to handle then an 026. I feel like am taking a brake when switching to an 025 from even a slightly larger saw. They have fairly snappy throttle response with a 16" bar either .325 or 3/8 picco. Have an Echo cs400, muffler modded as is the 025. Very nice smooth little saw but as almost always the Stihls geometry works significantly more comfortably for me to handle for an extended amount of work. The 025 feels significantly more powerful also and my experience with their reliability is tops. Used 025's seem to be cheaper then ms 250's and to tell the truth I haven't run 250's much, I think the 025 might be a little better runner all stock on the count of emissions. Last I knowed ms 250's were still available and on sale under $300 with a warranty new which makes it a great value IMO.
I guess I have enough saws for now. My helper didn't show up today so in about to head out in a while. Will be using the Echo 590 and 490.

Back