Lower cylinder on bucket truck,

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R Lonnstrom

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
we have a bucket truck with a Holan lift, used for putting up billboards, (only one or two / year so it sits,) This year the lower cylinder that lifts the boom has developed a serious hydraulic leak, I checked with a hydraulic shop and they said it would be 1000's if we bring the truck in, or hundreds, if we just bring the cylinder. Question: Is there a "trick to getting those pins out? does the boom need to be lifted a few feet to take any pressure off the cylinder? (Haven't tried heat yet) and I understand that Holan has been gone for some time, Thanks Mortenson sign.

we have a bucket truck with a Holan lift, used for putting up billboards, (only one or two / year so it sits,) This year the lower cylinder that lifts the boom has developed a serious hydraulic leak, I checked with a hydraulic shop and they said it would be 1000's if we bring the truck in, or hundreds, if we just bring the cylinder. Question: Is there a "trick to getting those pins out? does the boom need to be lifted a few feet to take any pressure off the cylinder? (Haven't tried heat yet) and I understand that Holan has been gone for some time, Thanks Mortenson sign.
I had to do the same with my hi ranger. My mechanic had to use a special plasma tool to melt the pins out of the end of the cylinder. Your pins might just come out but if not they have to be melted out. Leave the booms folded up. It’s not hard to do but that cylinder is damn heavy.

I had to do the same with my hi ranger. My mechanic had to use a special plasma tool to melt the pins out of the end of the cylinder. Your pins might just come out but if not they have to be melted out. Leave the booms folded up. It’s not hard to do but that cylinder is damn heavy.
Thanks for the help, we came to the conclusion that that cylinder Must be heavy, but figured we'd cross that "bridge" if we get it loose, so guess we will do some asking around about that plasma tool, Do have a regular plasma cutter but think it might damage more than the troublesome pins................. Thank you for responding

Thanks for the help, we came to the conclusion that that cylinder Must be heavy, but figured we'd cross that "bridge" if we get it loose, so guess we will do some asking around about that plasma tool, Do have a regular plasma cutter but think it might damage more than the troublesome pins................. Thank you for responding
Plasma cut right through the middle of the pin and then the outside of pin collapsed after some persuading with drift pin and hammer. It happened so fast the mount for the cylinder never had a chance to heat up or get deformed

lift and set the bucket on a stump to take the weight off the pin, heat the pin then hit with cold water a couple times to break the bond then try to air hammer the pin out. if this does not work i suggest making a thermal lance cutter. its not exactly rocket science and basic shop tools run it, here is a clip of two fine folks using one to do what you described.

lift and set the bucket on a stump to take the weight off the pin, heat the pin then hit with cold water a couple times to break the bond then try to air hammer the pin out. if this does not work i suggest making a thermal lance cutter. its not exactly rocket science and basic shop tools run it, here is a clip of two fine folks using one to do what you described.

That’s exactly what we did to remove the pin. Thanks for the video

Plasma cut right through the middle of the pin and then the outside of pin collapsed after some persuading with drift pin and hammer. It happened so fast the mount for the cylinder never had a chance to heat up or get deformed
Thank you, good to hear what will happen, right now here in Minnesota it's getting cold...er, did put a tarp over that part of the lift and since we won't need it till spring (we are getting "smarter") - you haven't lived till you're putting up a Billboard out along the freeway, and it's -20 and windy.......probably will wait till it warms a bit now (Thanks again

when you go to install that new bushing heat up the housing and freeze the bushing. use section of threaded(preferably fine thread) rod to pull the bushing in using a impact gun

That’s exactly what we did to remove the pin. Thanks for the video
when you go to install that new bushing heat up the housing and freeze the bushing. use section of threaded(preferably fine thread) rod to pull the bushing in using a impact gun
Think I owe you "lunch" some day, you covered several things we hadn't even thought of (heat and cold for one) and who ever put that video together should get an award too. (I was a little leary about sticking the plasma cutter up there but that rod did a fine job of keeping the heat where it can work. If we get a warm day before Christmas I want to go out and if it a try Thank you.

Thank you, you apparently can sense that "fixing the bucket truck" is not in any of our "lines of experience" but we really don't want to spend thousands for something we should be able to fix ourselves.

you are most welcome, I have been in auto repair for 20+ years learning how to properly break things that are only "amature broken"
if the old bushing is being a pta heat it with a torch to remove the temper then try a sawzall to cut through a section and a chisel/punch to partially collapse it, then drive it out. i would coat the inside of the bore with antiseize of some kind very liberally unless your planning to sell it on craigs list then i suggest red locktite XD
if the section your working on can be rested in a pot of boiling water for 5 minutes that works best but a oxy torch or a propane torch works in a pinch just be careful to keep it moving . I would probably try to use 5/8 threaded rod or larger with a piece of 5/16 steel plate as the press ends driven by a large impact gun, start it by hand with a hammer but work quickly. You arborist guys love your special 2 stroke oils well I love grease/ motor oils and transmission fluid and most folks have no idea that using a better grease extends service life considerably just like the correct 2 oil does, I prefer lucas red or green or valvoline if your in a pinch and know how to decipher the grease coding.

Update on the boom truck..............Obviously it is sitting outside in the cold right now (Below Zero......) but a chance encounter the other day put us on to some one nearby who can "burn" those pins out for us (When the temp moderates) and then when we get the truck back we will find out just how heavy that cylinder is!, will keep you posted (thank you for all the advice) Roger

Back